Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2009 in Ocean City, woo!

• 24-03-2009 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Myself and a friend are going to Ocean City for the J1 this summer from U.L. and are looking for anybody else heading our way who might already have accomadation sorted and looking for couple extra housemates or is still looking for accomadation and needs couple of others to look with-
    We're both 21 and in 3rd year and looking to have a good summer so get in touch if you're heading our way,

Marie and Eoghan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Susicia

bump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RC101

Hey
    Another girl and I (20) are heading to Ocean City too. We haven't got any accomodation sorted yet, have you had any luck finding anything?

Brillant to hear from yee! We are not getting accomadation till we are over there. We were told we'd be ripped off if we do! What date yee heading out on? we should be in ocean city on the 23/24 of May.

We're looking for a good time this summer with some work thrown in!
    :-)

Drop me an email if your interested,
    Marie and Eoghan

emerald_dust@hotmail.com

*bump :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fi101288

Hi! Myself and 5 other girls are heading to OC on 1st of June! 5 of us are in UCC in 2nd year. We don't have accomodation sorted yet either, have checked out a few places alright but they wanted a deposit beforehand and we don't wanna pay anything till we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

hey!

Me and 3 friends are heading 2 wildwood NJ about 2 hours from Ocean City! But depending how things go we could end up in OC for a few weeks!How are you guys getting on job hunting?Much response?We've sent out tonnes of emails but seemes the Americans are v.lazy when it comes to writing back!!:rolleyes:

Hiya!

We don't have any jobs or accomadation sorted at all because we've been told to wait till we get out there,
    We've already met 2 girls from dublin in univeristy through boards.ie looking for accomadation like us so we're all trying to keep in touch.

if any of ye are up for it let us know so we can add to the list of potential housemates :-)

Marie
    my email is emerald_dust@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

hello all,

did a j1 in ocean city summer 07, had an absolute ball!!
    can let u know where we worked if ye pm me! we got an apartment with our jobs for 80dollars a week each, on the beach bargain!
    accom in ocean city is very expensive so id recommend getting a job which includes accom. plus u wont have to sign leases etc.

memories of ocean city! the dungeon, pool bar on 4th street, fishtales, the bearded clam!! (guaranteed theyll serve u if ur under age and irish) im sure they hav our pic up on d wall there sumwhere, the anchor on sunday nights! shenanigans irish bar!
    natural light...cheap ass beer! tugos for pizza, quiznos sub, sunsations...have a sunsational time, shopping in the west ocean city outlets...rue 21 a girls heaven, make sure u go to the place in delaware for the big outlet shopping...aborcrombie, american eagle, coach etc! bout an hour on a bus from ocean city but a must do!

have a great time guys, so jealous wish i was going back, if any of ye want 2 ask me anything or get an email for my old boss..money was quite good, waitressing in a seafood restaurant, plenty of hot waiters, great social side to the job, kept in touch wit aload still working there....just om me

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

further to my last post,

jobs dry up quickly so dont feck around when ye get over, look for jobs straight away when ye get there!
    try and sort something before ye go.....if ye booked through usit, the employers database on that is how we found our jobs in oc
    try and get a job near where ye live, city is HUGE, u dont want a huge commute, altho bus runs really regularly, ye dont want 2 have to leave the beach 2 hours before work to have 2 go home and change and get to work!
    tip: if ye are sneaky enough, the holiday inn's have free laundry facilities for their guests on every floor, after a few weeks of using launderettes we copped this, so if ye are discreet ye will get away with it! saves a fortune! this may be the case in other hotels too, but the holiday inn is where we used get away with it, coz its so big we went unnoticed
    get ur social security cards sorted within the first couple of days, it requires a couple of trips to the townhall on 4th st, standing around in a que for a few hours, and takes a few weeks to come through, some employers wont let u work without this so sort it asap, others will let u work but youll be taxed really high til u get it
    when ye get home, apply to taxback.com for yer tax refunds asap, takes 3 -4 months to process, i got like 300 euro back in time for xmas...nice!
    it is what ye make it, i was a bit homesick for a while, missed my bf etc, but really got into the swing of things in d last few weeks n it was over before i knew it!
    get GOOD fake i.ds if ye are under age!! very hard to get served bar the bearded clam and the dungeon, can recommend a good offy that will serve u if ye like! but dont go over there with nothing at all, because ye wont get in anywhere! we had panicked attempts writing home begging older sisters to send their passports and doing diy jobs on our own with clingfilm and nail varnish. this will be a huge killer of yer trip if one or two is holding the group back if the rest all have i.ds! warning about changing the dates on yer own passports....u cant change the visa, which is attached to ur passport, so all they have 2 do is flick back and see ur real date of birth on the visa, this happened to me....took me twenty mins of begging the manager of the bar to give me my passport back n not ring the police, they take that stuff very seriously!!
    make friends with yer co-workers, house parties etc was what we usually did,
    bring one or two jumpers, when we first got there (last wk in may) there was a couple of rainy days, and the nights get cold, but once it gets to mid june u wont need these!
    try and get accom from about 28th street and below, otherwise u are heading too far away from the boardwalk and all the activity....if ye have any questions about places ye might be looking at and what to kno if its a good location, just pm me!

so think thats about all i can think to tell ye....ocean city is amazing n ye will have a ball, but as it is a resort, i dont know how the recession will have affected the job situation, so try and organise jobs now, or if all else fails, get on it the min u get there, in 07, all d jobs had dried up by the second week in june. alot of american college students come to oc to work for the summers too so ur in competition with them, we only met 2 or 3 other irish groups during our summer there, but didnt matter coz we made friends wit all our co-workers, our restaurant employed around 200 18-24 yr olds, so party central, we all lived in staff housing on d beach so it was like dirty dancing with a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

I did the J1 in 2006. We stayed on 7th street. There was loads of appartments between 4 and 7th street and were also not too expensive. I worked in a shop on the boardwalk run by a family. Had one day off a week but hours were good and varied. It was either 9-3 or 3-11 which suited the drinking!!
    The family brought us for bbqs and stuff and they adored the Irish. I can give people the name if they want. Money was average although you would get more in restaurants with tips and that but I didnt want to do that. If you stay till labour day (6 sept) most places will give a bonus.

All in all OC was the best 3 months I had. Seacrets nightclub with the springy dancefloor, partblock with 3 night clubs in one aaahhh wish I could go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mr. Cian

Hey,

I'm heading to Ocean city with a friend for a J1 this summer and i'm wondering about accomodation. we haven't got anything sorted and we wouldn't mind sharing somewhere as there is only two of us.

Is anyone still looking for accomodation?

If anyone has found some what have your impressions been?

Love to hear from people if posible,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rafraf

Hi Mr. Cian I'm also comming to Ocean City (J1 visa - student form Poland) and I'm looking for accomodation. Let me know If you want to look together. I'm heading alone. I was in OC twice. My e-mail is raf.dsw@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johno77

Me and 10 other lads have booked a 3 bedroom house for 12 nd id say we could fit another couple in if yee were up for it.. we cud fairly messy tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barrapow

johno77 wrote: »
    Me and 10 other lads have booked a 3 bedroom house for 12 nd id say we could fit another couple in if yee were up for it.. we cud fairly messy tho

Story,

4 lads from cork headin over friday week, would be well up sharin if there was space, cut down on the cost of accomadation.......well up for bit of messyness aswell lyk...we hav another fella coming over start of july 2 though

Hi! 2 of us are now after arriving in Ocean City, house available anyone?!
    we're booked into a hotel till Friday and starting to look now,

let us know :-)
    Marie

If anyone has a phone: text me on 4432070025