Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Keen On McGeady

• 24-03-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni has confirmed Bayern Munich are tracking Celtic winger Aiden McGeady.
    The 22-year-old, who came through the youth ranks at Parkhead, has admitted an interest in experiencing life outside Glasgow at some point in his career and he may get the chance with the Bundesliga giants in the summer.
    Trapattoni, McGeady's national manager, revealed that Bayern boss Jurgen Klinsmann, whom he coached at both Inter Milan and Bayern, is keeping tabs on the Glasgow-born player.

'I met my old Bayern assistant in Germany recently and he asked me what I think about McGeady because they are are following him,' Trappatoni told the Scottish Sun.
    'They wanted my opinion and I said McGeady is one of our most important players.
    'With more confidence, he has the possibility to improve even further.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Swap deal for Ribery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Swap deal for Ribery.

And 10 million for Celtic. Only fair :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

McGeady, one of the most overrated players out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't they recruit any ball-boys in Munich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Trap isn't gonna make many friends with managers of his current players. Pimping out Given and now this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Smegball wrote: »

Depends by what you mean when you say 'overrated'. This story just adds weight to rumours that Ribery is leaving Munich in the next transfer window. And they are weighing up potential replacements. McGeady has some upside and could be a decent purchase for the right system if picked up for a good price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

It's all part of Traps plans, Get Bayern to buy him then Everton or someone decent will pick him up cheap in 2 years and he will play at a club for the next 5 years :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

replacement for ribery no doubt as hes going to liverpool....

*wake up jazzy... wake up*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Re:Trap and touting players: tbh i doubt hed make too many friends but argueably both the players need/ed to leave the club/league they were/are in to develop further/achieve something. Id say Trap would be just the same with Stephen Reid if he wasnt so injury prone, i.e if a former work college wanted that type of player he would greccoment him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

flyswatter wrote: »
    'They wanted my opinion and I said McGeady is one of our most important players.

He'd say the same thing about Glenn Whelan. It's not much of a tribute really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

flyswatter wrote: »
    'With more confidence, he has the possibility to improve even further.'

eirebhoy = Trapattoni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

He should go if he gets the chance. I always feel that he's one bad cross away from St. Mirren standard and one good delivery away from playing for a decent club. He should go, walk to Munich if neccessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Des wrote: »
    eirebhoy = Trapattoni
    It's obvious to anybody that McGeady is a confidence player.

I wouldn't be surprised if he went tbh. It'd be a good move too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I think another 2-3 years at Celtic would be good for him and then maybe move away although if they offer 10-12 million it would be hard to resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Depends by what you mean when you say 'overrated'. This story just adds weight to rumours that Ribery is leaving Munich in the next transfer window. And they are weighing up potential replacements. McGeady has some upside and could be a decent purchase for the right system if picked up for a good price.

The Sun says:

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni has confirmed that Bayern Munich are leading the £9m hunt for Celtic winger Aiden McGeady to replace Franck Ribery who it is believed is interesting Barcelona and Manchester City.

My opinion:
    I'd hate to see Ribery go and I believe he makes as much in Munich as he is going to make anywhere else. I guess it depends on how far Bayern can advance in the champions league this year. He has a contract 'til 2011 and since they love him in Munich they either won't let him go or else they're going to milk it big time.

But in any case, McGeady isn't worth 9m and he's def'ny not worth 9m to Munich as they make a point not too spend that kind of silly Premiership money unless they think they're buying 'the man'. And McGeady certainly isn't that. He is a reasonable prospect and I would believe that they keep an eye on him but I think he's never going to be a Ribery. At the age of 23 it would have shown if he was. I think Bayern have let players go away on loan that were better than McGeady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

realcam wrote: »
    The Sun says:

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Smegball wrote: »
    Badabing wrote: »
    I think another 2-3 years at Celtic would be good for him and then maybe move away although if they offer 10-12 million it would be hard to resist.

A lot depends on his mental state, i.e. is he ready for a move yet. I think he's someone of great promise but is indeed currently overrated. As for the argument he should stay a few more years, i say no. He's nearly 23, if he really wants to fulfill his potential he has to move soon.

I know Scotland is a great place for kids to learn, and Celtic have Champions League football, but he really needs to come up against good defences week in week out, that much is obvious at times when he plays for Ireland. Scotland is kind of making him one dimensional because it's so easy for him at times. A player with his technical ability has to leave soon.

However, I don't think Bayern would be a good move for him. Watching the Bundesliga highlights, it really doesn't seem much of an improvement over Sctoland. a few big teams, but the rest seem quite weak. I'd rather he waited for a move to a bigger league, but if it's not on the cards anytime soon i'd rather see him go to Bayern i guess. It'd be a small step, but a step in the right direction methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Rubbish, like 99% of these stories. Aiden McGeady will never play for Bayern.

In the same way that Lampard was never going to Barcelona or Juventus etc. et bloody cetera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

A lot depends

However, I don't think Bayern would be a good move for him. Watching the Bundesliga highlights, it really doesn't seem much of an improvement over Sctoland. a few big teams, but the rest seem quite weak. I'd rather he waited for a move to a bigger league, but if it's not on the cards anytime soon i'd rather see him go to Bayern i guess. It'd be a small step, but a step in the right direction methinks.

So it's the same as the Premier legue then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

There's as much chance as McGeady going to Rangers on a free tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

So it's the same the Premier legue then?

How dare you speak of the super-duper bestest ever league in the world premiership like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Anyone know if McGeady speaks any foreign language?

Anyone any notion if he fancies moving to a non-English speaking country?

Beside Scotland obviously :p

When you consider how few UK players go abroad, it surely has to be a bit of a factor.

So it's the same as the Premier legue then?
    Eirebear wrote: »
    How dare you speak of the super-duper bestest ever league in the world premiership like this?

the premier league has had at least 3 teams in the quarter finals of the champions league for the past 3 years (including this year). It's had a team in the final for the past 4 (not including this year). You can poo-poo those kind of stats all you want, but like it or not it's the strongest league in europe at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

the premier league has had at least 3 teams in the quarter finals of the champions league for the past 3 years (including this year). It's had a team in the final for the past 4 (not including this year). You can poo-poo those kind of stats all you want, but like it or not it's the strongest league in europe at the moment.

And when you factor in the tightness at the bottom and top of the table as compared to previous seasons - this seems to be a better year for it depthwise aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

However, I don't think Bayern would be a good move for him. Watching the Bundesliga highlights, it really doesn't seem much of an improvement over Sctoland. a few big teams, but the rest seem quite weak.

I lol'd. The depth of football in Germany is lightyears different from football in Scotland. Of course you wouldn't get much of an idea from watching the highlights. Rangers & Celtic are in a league of their own but even them I'd consider to be rather weak. But what comes after that would struggle in the 2. Bundesliga, I'm convinced of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Dont...take....bait...too....easssssy........:pac:

realcam wrote: »
    I lol'd. The depth of football in Germany is lightyears different from football in Scotland. Of course you wouldn't get much of an idea from watching the highlights. Rangers & Celtic are in a league of their own but even them I'd consider to be rather weak. But what comes after that would struggle in the 2. Bundesliga, I'm convinced of it.

You reckon it's that much of a difference? like i've said i've only seen highlights, but everytime i don't see a massive leap in quality. There are some fantastic attacking players in the Bundesliga compared with Scotland alright, Ribery, Klose etc. but the overall standards of teams never impresses me. Even Bayern are let down by a poor defence i feel. I just watching a highlights reel of it last night and Scotland was shown after, I really didn't see a massive difference in quality, in particular i felt defences standing off attackers was rampant in the Bundesliga.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You reckon it's that much of a difference? like i've said i've only seen highlights, but everytime i don't see a massive leap in quality. There are some fantastic attacking players in the Bundesliga compared with Scotland alright, Ribery, Klose etc. but the overall standards of teams never impresses me. Even Bayern are let down by a poor defence i feel. I just watching a highlights reel of it last night and Scotland was shown after, I really didn't see a massive difference in quality, in particular i felt defences standing off attackers was rampant in the Bundesliga.

The Teams ranked 4th and 10th in the Bundesliga (Hamburg and Breman) are currently in the quarter finals of the uefa cup, do you really think the Scottish teams in the same positions in the SPL would do as well?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wow the German league might not be up there with England, Spain or Italy... but yes it is miles ahead of Scotland.

Advertisement