Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crazy pool party in roebuck!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 RazzoLazzo

is because even if he had never had the pool party, he's a ****in hero of a person, and the pool party made him that bit more of a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

here, can we have a cull or something? These people have nothing to add (here & in general ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

dyl10 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that completing secondary school meant you should definitely be in college :confused:

Maybe we do need fees back? :pac:

Oh how witty you are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

RazzoLazzo wrote: »
    is because even if he had never had the pool party, he's a ****in hero of a person, and the pool party made him that bit more of a hero.

How exactly is this dude a hero? Sounds more like a scanger with a D4 accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

I have no sympathy, there are people who would love a room on campus and this guy has a pool party and takes a massive risk that he'll get kicked out, he mustn't have appreciated it much in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

RazzoLazzo wrote: »
    and he got evicted,
    thats it

Dam right he did. That simpleton does not belong on my campus

Red Alert wrote: »
    How exactly is this dude a hero? Sounds more like a scanger with a D4 accent.
    Kat Slater wrote: »
    I have no sympathy, there are people who would love a room on campus and this guy has a pool party and takes a massive risk that he'll get kicked out, he mustn't have appreciated it much in the first place.
    BrightEyes wrote: »
    Dam right he did. That simpleton does not belong on my campus

I wish there was an opposite for 'thanks' like 'this post sucks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Leprachaun wrote: »
    I wish there was an opposite for 'thanks' like 'this post sucks'.

Yeh i know man..... i would have used it on most of your posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

All of you say that Hugo deserved to be kicked out of res. for what he did. And as has been said several times, he was.

He
    took a risk, and knew full well there would be concequences, which he took full responsibility for. The fire alarms was indeed a bad idea, and Hugo himself regrets doing it, not only because it got the party closed down, but also because of the health and safety (Yes, he made a mistake, but lesson learnt, etc.), and mainly because it was "a focking retarded thing to do" (quote, Hugo, the day after the pool party).

Hugo knew what he was doing. He knew there would be concequences. He planned for every eventuality, even consulting engeering students in older years whether the floor would hold the weight of the pool+sand+people, and made sure to keep everything below this weight. He cleaned the appartment, and willingly paid all fines + cleaning bills without arguement.

Yes, putting other people in danger by pulling down the fire alarms is inexcusable. Hugo admits to that. But to criticize the guy, for doing something a bit crazy (ie, having the pool party in the first place), is, quite plainly, stupid. Can a guy not do something a bit crazy every now and then? Yes he damaged property, and he paid for it, totally willingly. Hugo has paid all debts and apologised for all infractions. He did wrong, yes, but did everything asked of him to make it right, by all parties.

So what if someone else brakes the rules. No-one here has said how Hugo's having a pool party in any effected their life. If Hugo's actions effected your own life, then you have full right to criticize. Everyone else's criticism is entirely irrelivent until they can show how it is their business.

And to finish, if you spot any typo's, then I apologise, I am not perfect. I believe there is more to the only life you will ever live than perfect grammar/spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

The thing people seem to be missing here is why should this guy be let off on the excuse he did it for fun? The rules are there for everyone. What if they didn't kick him out, and then someone else had a similar party the next night. Should they get kicked out? No? So people should be allowed do whatever they want?

It is after all a college residence and a certain decorum needs to be observed. By all means, get drunk, have fun but by breaking the terms of your residence you must face the consequences. Too many free-fee funded idiots are in college when they shouldn't be; this is the price we pay for a over simplified application system (CAO) and no fees. Any muppet with half a brain can grab the points for a course like arts and piss away tax payers money for a year or two until the system finally catches up with him and he drops out.

• Advertisement

mloc wrote: »
    The thing people seem to be missing here is why should this guy be let off on the excuse he did it for fun? The rules are there for everyone. What if they didn't kick him out, and then someone else had a similar party the next night. Should they get kicked out? No? So people should be allowed do whatever they want?

Simpley because he did it does not give everyone else the right to judge him. He did not get away scott free, he was landed with several fines and was kicked out of college residences. Is that not enough justice? The college, who you are all trying so hard to defend, is happy with Hugo's punishment. Hugo traded a lot for a night of fun, just because you think the price is too high for you to attempt the same does not make Hugo wrong for thinking different.

And college is whatever you want it to be. If you want to go to college, fúck around and get kicked out, that's your own look out. If you want to go and get a good degree, a good job, whatever, then grand, but just because others choose the former does not make them in any way inferior to you. Yes, they may be abusing the system. If you feel that strongly about it, then run in next year's SU elections, talk to your class reps, talk to the current SU, talk to someone who can do something. Those who "abuse" the system are keeping entirely within the rules, if you think there is a problem then take it up with those who put and keep that system in place, not with those use it to their advantage.

t0mm wrote: »
    And college is whatever you want it to be. If you want to go to college, fúck around and get kicked out, that's your own look out. If you want to go and get a good degree, a good job, whatever, then grand, but just because others choose the former does not make them in any way inferior to you. Yes, they may be abusing the system. If you feel that strongly about it, then run in next year's SU elections, talk to your class reps, talk to the current SU, talk to someone who can do something. Those who "abuse" the system are keeping entirely within the rules, if you think there is a problem then take it up with those who put and keep that system in place, not with those use it to their advantage.

This is self-contradictory nonsense. When the taxpayer is paying for students to go to college to gain a 3rd level degree, it most certainly is not for "whatever you want it to be". If you want to **** about that much, get your crap job and **** about on someone elses time and money.

But that is the point I am making. Why is it Hugo's fault for making use of a loop hole to his advantage?

Also, Hugo has not, and is not, failing college, therefore to say he is wasting tax payer's money is strictly speaking incorrect. He is there to receive a third level education, which he is doing. What he does in his own time is of no concern of the tax payer.

But that is the point I am making. Why is it Hugo's fault for making use of a loop hole to his advantage?

Where is the loop hole? There is no loop hole. He broke the rules and he broke the law. There are no holes of any kind, except for the one in the logic you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

What he does in his own time is of no concern of the tax payer.

Well actually, it does. If he wrecked his parents, private property, then it would be none of our concern. He didn't, he vandalised university property.
    He took a risk, and knew full well there would be concequences, which he took full responsibility for

That just goes to show that he's an even bigger fool than I thought. He sounds like some spoiled Celtic Tiger child who has no respect for other people, his parent's money or much else to be honest.
    Those who "abuse" the system are keeping entirely within the rules, if you think there is a problem then take it up with those who put and keep that system in place, not with those use it to their advantage.

He clearly didn't keep entirely within the rules, he's being evicted:rolleyes:

Your posts are as stupid as the previous defences and even worse in some ways. You are actually trying to reasonably defend what happened. You, like the others, should probably just stop posting now and quit before you make a complete fool of yourself.

mloc wrote: »
    Where is the loop hole? There is no loop hole. He broke the rules and he broke the law. There are no holes of any kind, except for the one in the logic you are using.

I don't deny he broke the rules. As I have pointed out the college is satisfied that justice has been served, and so should you.

The loop hole refers to the ability for a person to attend college for a year and do absolutely no scholastic work or study, and at the end of the year leave and in doing so receive absolutely no punishment for wasting money and cource places. Several people in this thread have stated that people like that, who like to throw pool parties, don't work, etc, do not belong in college. While Hugo is not one of those who doesn't work (like I said, he is not failing college), the others who use a loop hole in the system to their own advantage cannot be condemned for doing so. Only those who allow the loop hole to exist are to blame. That is my point, I do hope my logic has been made clear.

...the others who use a loop hole in the system to their own advantage cannot be condemned for doing so. Only those who allow the loop hole to exist are to blame. That is my point, I do hope my logic has been made clear.

That is an absolutely absurd argument. By the same logic anything that is legal yet clearly wrong is acceptable because noone is there to catch you? What age are you? Don't make the foolish assumption that because you can get away with something its ok to do so.

Actually he paid all fines with his own hard earned cash.

Every action has a concequence. When the negative concequences out-weight the positive concequences, then the action can indeed be deemed as stupid. It is entirely relative as to what can be deemed at stupid or worthwhile. Hugo paid the fines. Hugo did everything that was required of him to return the situation right. In his eyes it was worth it. Getting kicked out of Roebuck isn't the end of the world. In fact, apart from the financial penalties and the inconvenience of having to move, which in Hugo's eyes were entirely worthwhile, no ill has come from this party. All damage has been paid for and fixed. The college are entirely satisfied justice has been served. Yet still posters feel the need to criticise an action of which they know or understand very little. mloc, what is it that you have against this pool party, and those involved, and those who are defending them from unwarrented abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As things stand today, there might be no direct punishment for wasting a year at university, except the cost of living in Dublin. When fees come back in, however, maybe people will better appreciate what they are getting for their money, eh? That's a year of McDonalds salary he'll never see.

I'm enjoying this thread now: the idea that those of us who don't trash the university are somehow "missing out" on something is hilarious. This is a classic example of someone who thinks that university is something you just do as a continuation of school (minus parental supervision), just "because it's there", without any thought of where it's leading, or what your conduct here says about you.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Yet still posters feel the need to criticise an action of which they know or understand very little. mloc, what is it that you have against this pool party, and those involved, and those who are defending them from unwarrented abuse?

Posters are quite rightfully criticising the irresponsible actions of someone who clearly has no sense of responsibility. Because he paid for it and moved out does not mean its ok. A rapist who serves his time in jail can still be criticised for raping someone. You can't expect to pay you're way out of every misdeed and expect to be absolved.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    As things stand today, there might be no direct punishment for wasting a year at university, except the cost of living in Dublin. When fees come back in, however, maybe people will better appreciate what they are getting for their money, eh?

I'm enjoying this thread now: the idea that those of us who don't trash the university are somehow "missing out" on something is hilarious. This is a classic example of someone who thinks that university is something you just do as a continuation of school (minus parental supervision), just "because it's there", without any thought of where it's leading. Royshe? :rolleyes:

I have to agree (almost) entirely with this post. However, while I do not judge the less crazy students out there (and apologise if I have come out like that in any way), I do no like the way that some of the less crazy students look to the crazy ones, believing them to be wasters and idiots. The pool party was a bit extreme, maybe it wasn't for you, in which case fine, it's occurence had no affect on your life, ignore it. Just because someone's idea of fun is not the same as your's does not make them inferior/stupider/boring-er than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I have to agree (almost) entirely with this post. However, while I do not judge the less crazy students out there (and apologise if I have come out like that in any way), I do no like the way that some of the less crazy students look to the crazy ones, believing them to be wasters and idiots. The pool party was a bit extreme, maybe it wasn't for you, in which case fine, it's occurence had no affect on your life, ignore it. Just because someone's idea of fun is not the same as your's does not make them inferior/stupider/boring-er than you.
    I just dislike the idea that in order to have fun you have to go around the place and cause problems for other people. That story on the facebook page goes on about causing problems outside Button Factory that night. I remember that actually, because I was right up close and personal with it. We were in the guest list queue when it happened, and while it might be "crazy" it's also ****ing irresponsible. The poor girls up at the front were being crushed against the barrier and many people ended up shoved out of the queue that they'd been waiting in for quite a while and therefore couldn't get in.

Plus his actions do effect people directly. I have friends from home who couldn't get into on campus accomodation, while this dude decides to ruin his in sand.

He may have been fined and evicted but that doesn't make what he did any less wrong and it doesn't make him any less of a spoiled, inconsiderate dick for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

33% God wrote: »
    He may have been fined and evicted but that doesn't make what he did any less wrong and it doesn't make him any less of a spoiled, inconsiderate dick for doing it.

Spoiled is a good way to put it

Ok, I beginning to get your point of view now. As a personal friend of Hugo, I will admit to being bias in his favour, and will probably not change my mind. I believe as we are looking at the matter from opposite sides that this is pointless. My personal knowledge of Hugo will influence my opinion in his favour, I'm sorry for wasting anyone's time.

You haven't wasted anyones time but the fact is, we aren't the opposite side. We are neutral observers, most of us weren't directly affected by what happened.

Most people in this thread bore me. Who cares what the man did? He had a crazy party. Good. Lifes too short to be pompus on an internet forum and give out about a lad you don't know who had a good time.

Rock on Hugo!

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Most people in this thread bore me.

Is that why you can't stop reading and replying to this thread? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I'm glad there are still parties like this going on at UCD, there certainly were when I was there. Fire alarms got vandalised, big ****in deal - easy enough to replace - seriously drunk idiots get up to **** like this at every student party - pools and sand or not.

I'm curious as to what age all the moaning repliers to this thread are - seriously sound like a bunch of bitter old ***** who can't understand anymore what having fun meant (I'm 28 by the way)

idiots

QFT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

I'm glad there are still parties like this going on at UCD, there certainly were when I was there. Fire alarms got vandalised, big ****in deal - easy enough to replace - seriously drunk idiots get up to **** like this at every student party - pools and sand or not.

I'm curious as to what age all the moaning repliers to this thread are - seriously sound like a bunch of bitter old ***** who can't understand anymore what having fun meant (I'm 28 by the way)

I'm not a moaner and I know how to have a good time, but I can't stand people who vandalise property in the process of having "fun".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement