Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yuan to be new world reserve currency? any truth in this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Cr@p I thought I was in economics, oooops, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not exactly: see the Wall Street Journal.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

More here and here. It wouldn't be the Yuan, they're talking about a psuedo-"IMF Controlled" currency.

Won't this bankrupt the United States?

Presumably countries will start denominating oil in (not-dollar), commodities will be traded in (not-dollar), reserve banks will sell off their dollars and buy (not-dollar) and the US Foreign debt will suffocate them?

I thought this would be the last thing China wants since the US owe them trillions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Haven't we been hearing this for years now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

of course he says No! He's the US President! What else is he going to say? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i cant really see the united states of us against everyone agreeing to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

i cant really see the united states of us against everyone agreeing to that

Not really going to have much choice if they are bankrupt.

It was true after all
    The world is changing, big time
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/5050407/US-backing-for-world-currency-stuns-markets.html

US backing for world currency stuns markets

US Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner shocked global markets by revealing that Washington is "quite open" to Chinese proposals for the gradual development of a global reserve currency run by the International Monetary Fund.

The dollar plunged instantly against the euro, yen, and sterling as the comments flashed across trading screens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    It was true after all
    The world is changing, big time

Wow that is shocking. Obama announced he didn't see it as an option (at least sort of).

One would assumed they talked before announcing different things on this scale.

I don't know what to think at the moment. I wasn't expecting that to be announced.

Advertisement