Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying replacement heifers from north

• 24-03-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know are they as expensive up there or what are the things you have to do to bring them in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Since 2001 when a certain Mr. W***** nearly wiped us out with Foot & mouth by his selfish little sheep enterprise, I wouldn't buy anything from the North unless it ran on red diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    does anyone know are they as expensive up there or what are the things you have to do to bring them in

A lot of guys from tyhe North come south to buy to let out on grass at this time of year. Marts near the border towns really depend on these buyers to keep prices up. If cattle were cheaper up there, they would not be buying down here.

AFIK the animal has just to be in test and have an export cert to bring them down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

reilig wrote: »
    A lot of guys from tyhe North come south to buy to let out on grass at this time of year. Marts near the border towns really depend on these buyers to keep prices up. If cattle were cheaper up there, they would not be buying down here.

AFIK the animal has just to be in test and have an export cert to bring them down here.

the op is talking specifically about replacement dairy heifers , not drystock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

i went to purchase a cow+calf last year--through a sale in dungannon(not an export sale)
    i bought the animal..then in turn was told..the said animal would hav to be returned to its owner-retested+kept for 30-40 days at my expense,in turn i would hav to get it tested when it arrived on my farm..putting me out more money and time+hazzle...as this was just b4 the breeding season-last spring(May)

so i threw the animal back up!

i think if it was an export sale--would have been more straight forward.....

so ur man may look into that....

think its odd--that testing procedure for down south-to up north,is so straight forward! and is unreal-when from north to south--is hazzle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thanks everyone think iwill pass on it i am looking for dairy replacement stock

• Advertisement
Advertisement