Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Summer of Code 2009

Options
  • 24-03-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering if any of ye have ever participated in GSoC?

Got a (generic) email today suggesting students participate in it

I'm an OKAY programmer (in Java and some C++), and would be a bit apprehensive about jumping into this with no experience.

I know about the new 'mentor' thing that they're bringing in for this year, but I'm not sure my skillz are sufficient anyways...

However in the FAQ Google says:
    # Who's eligible to participate as a student in Google Summer of Code?

In order to participate in the program, you must be a student. Google defines a student as an individual enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution including (but not necessarily limited to) colleges, universities, masters programs, PhD programs and undergraduate programs. You are eligible to apply if you are enrolled in an accredited pre-university educational program provided you meet all of the other eligibility requirements. You should be prepared, upon request, to provide Google with transcripts or other documentation from your accredited institution as proof of enrollment or admission status. Computer Science does not need to be your field of study in order to participate in the program.

You may be enrolled as a full-time or part-time student. You must also be eligible to work in the country in which you'll reside throughout the duration of the program, e.g. if you are in the United States on an F-1 visa, you are welcome to apply to Google Summer of Code as long as you have U.S. work authorization. For F-1 students applying for CPT, Google will furnish you with a letter you can provide to your university to get CPT established once your application to the program has been accepted.

That's mad, Ted! :confused:

Any thoughts?

http://code.google.com/soc/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think it would be worth looking into. The biggest problem most graduates face is proving they are able to program, regardless of the degree they obtain. Working on an open soure project is a good way of proving it. Getting paid to work on it is a bonus. It seems to be based only in America though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Google are as evil as Microsoft.

They should pay people properly to do their thinking/recruitment for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Google do pay people to do their thinking/recruitment for them.
    They also pay contribute to open source projects themselves.

I think the SOC is a great project, benefits OSS and students aswell.

I meant to get involved in this when I was in college but missed the deadline.

and no1 is as evil as MS. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't think google or ms are evil. They're just really good at business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm finished my course in may does anyone know would I still be eligible to apply?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

As long as youre a student in April, you can do it :)

Advertisement