Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to learn Flash?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I have some knowledge of html and css, but need to learn flash as quickly as possible. I only need to know how to perform the basics, no advanced animation. I have no idea how to use it at the moment. I would normally just start by opening the program and having a play, but I don't want to waste time getting up to speed.

What would you recommend for learning it in a short timescale?
    Should I follow some online tutorials?
    Should I do a class? (day or evening)
    Should I try get a lesson from someone experienced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

To give you an idea of what level I'd like to get to, I'd like to be able to create something similar to the maybefriends banner ad that sometimes shows below, or maybe slightly more advanced, but nothing too serious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

GalwayGuy - I have to strongly disagree with those links. They're way too advanced for a beginner and even most normal designers.

David, I've worked & designed & programmed in Flash for the last 7 years or so, and I've taught a few people Flash in my spare time too. I think it's quite easy to learn Flash as long as you have a good goal in mind, which you do.

My advice to you is quite simple.
    1 - Use Actionscript 2, and don't use Actionscript 3 until you need to. (You'll know when that is, it'll probably years down the line)
    2 - Read this site, and no others. Start at the first tutorial, and copy it yourself, and then go down each tutorial in a row. This site is written by an excellent Flash teacher and if you follow these in order and do each tutorial, then I guarantee you'll have an excellent foundation in Flash in a very short time.
    http://www.flash-creations.com/notes/

Good luck

thanks p, i'll look into that.
    one question though... i have a copy of macromedia studio, which has flash in it,
    which version of actionscript will be included in this (or am i picking you up wrong)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

p wrote: »
    Use Actionscript 2, and don't use Actionscript 3 until you need to. (You'll know when that is, it'll probably years down the line)

He is starting off fresh with flash.

There is no reason for him to learn AS2.

He doesn't have to use AS3 in a strictly object orientated manner (creating his own classes and extending classes etc).

AS3 provides far more functionality than AS2, and is far easier to use. For example the new Tween class allows you to easily create effects which would take you forever in AS2.

• Advertisement

thanks p, i'll look into that.
    one question though... i have a copy of macromedia studio, which has flash in it, which version of actionscript will be included in this (or am i picking you up wrong)?
    If you've Macromedia Studio, then you've an older version of Flash. Wren you create a new project, just select Actionscript 2 if the option is available. I'm sure the copy you have will be fine.
    He is starting off fresh with flash.

There is no reason for him to learn AS2.

He doesn't have to use AS3 in a strictly object orientated manner (creating his own classes and extending classes etc).

AS3 provides far more functionality than AS2, and is far easier to use. For example the new Tween class allows you to easily create effects which would take you forever in AS2.
    I agree. However, the guy wants to learn Flash design & animation, not Flash programming. They're really two distinct disciplines, and AS3 is aimed at the latter. AS2 is much simpler for beginners to grasp, you can actually put code on buttons being an obvious benefit. It's easy to migrate to AS3 later if you need the benefits you're talking about, but beginners don't really.

If you've Macromedia Studio, then you've an older bersion of Flash.

What's the latest version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

However, the guy wants to learn Flash design & animation, not Flash programming. They're really two distinct disciplines, and AS3 is aimed at the latter. AS2 is much simpler for beginners to grasp, you can actually put code on buttons being an obvious benefit. It's easy to migrate to AS3 later if you need the benefits you're talking about, but beginners don't really.

I would recommend AS3 as well to be honest. As galwayguy22 says, he doesn't have to learn OOP or anything, just the basic constructs and syntax of AS3 that he needs. To that extent, AS3 is no more difficult than AS2. I would imagine you only think that because you're comfortable with AS2 now. Saying that the OP should learn AS2 so that he can stick actionscript on buttons... I can feel my blood pressure rising. :mad:

What's the latest version?
    Adobe Flash CS4. The last version of Flash by Macromedia is MX2004, which is 2 version ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

What do you need Flash for? Full Flash driven websites, animated applications (can't help here) or simply headers and banners for webdesign?

In such case I recommend subscribing to Lynda.com for a month, I think it's something like $25 and you have full access to video courses explaining and teaching Flash. This course is really good and is 4.5 hours - very manageable:
    http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=660
    but there are plenty of other classes and they have courses for all Flash versions so you can choose to work on the exact version you have.

Some samples movies are free if you follow this link so check if you like this form or learning.

• Advertisement

herya wrote: »
    What do you need Flash for? Full Flash driven websites, animated applications (can't help here) or simply headers and banners for webdesign?

just animated banners that will contain links to other pages.
    thanks for the tip on lynda.com, i'll have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Lynda.com, follow the tutorials, they are very straight forward to follow

All you really need is = tweens - motion really. Then using tween to do other effects like alpha etc

for banners you WILL need to use AS2 [i.e for clicks etc] as most companys dont want to risk flash 9+ being installed so exporting for flash 8 is only compatible with AS2

Also i hope you're going to avail of Flash CS3 and not work with Macromedias old version at this stage ? Flash CS4 has more features but i havent had the time to pick it up yet.

some ive done
    Vodafone Bright new sounds

Vodafone prepay

Black berry storm

This is the first 'banner' i ever did, learned all flash from lynda.
    Xmas Broadband

Advertisement