Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRdr bootable file manager program with graphical interface

• 24-03-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I,m trying to recover files,mp3s etc from a friends laptop.I,M looking for a file manager program iso,that i can burn to a boot cdr,maybe something like ACTIVE BOOT DISK.I need a program with a gui, file manager and graphical shell with built in mouse support ,so i can drag and drop files from laptop 1 to laptop 2.
    DO i need to change any settings in winxp pro security options in order to copy files to laptop 2 .LAPTOP 1 HAS a virus,wont boot in safe mode,or dos prompt mode.Laptop 1 is a dell p4 2.oghz cpu with dvdrom.could I USE LAPLINK with a null modem cable cable to connect the 2 laptops and copy all the documents to laptop 2 running winxp pro.
    THE hd on laptop 1 is 90percent full so i cant just reinstall windows ,it just says do you wish to format this disk?I, d appreciate any advice as this data is not backed up,ie its just on laptop 1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I'd use a bootable live version of linux, i.e. knoppix or ubuntu, if you have a network just simply setup a file share. If you have an external drive, plug it in and backup the files. If you have neither, you could get a crossover cable and link the two laptops and have a network between them over the cable. Avoid the null modem, transfer speeds will drive you crazy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Linux live CD's are the way to go alright for copyright reasons you'd have to make a windows one yourself http://nu2.nu/pebuilder/

many of the linux cd's will also boot from USB so you could burn to CD / DVD as another option

copying files to laptop 2 will not be so easy since laptop 2 will almost certainly have a firewall , it would be the same problem with windows too

laplink will give you dial up speeds :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can switch off firewalls.

If the laptops have firewire you can network on it at nearly 400Mbps using an ordinary cable. No special wiring needed.

For peer to peer networking best to give both laptops static IPs such as
    192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2, subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway and DNS can be blank.

You can also get a special USB cable with a processor slave dongle in the middle for files transfer. Sold For copying old computer settings to a new computer. USB is strictly Master - Slave, so a passive crossover cable will only work on devices with USB2Go ports, in this case one device decides to be master and the other slave. USB2Go is typically to connect normally USB slave camera to USB slave printer, or to add storage/3G dongle to a media player that appears as a slave to a PC.

Advertisement