Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop needs a restore... no recovery cd, no hidden partition

• 24-03-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a malware infected lappy. All this laptop has is a product code on the bottom of the laptop... If I get my hands on someone elses windows XP (home edition) could I just use the product key?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

short answer yes.

If his laptop is has a xp home product key, then there should be no problem. Remember if you install over the windows installation if the install has virus on it, they won't be removed. If you format then install (clean install) you'll be fine. Check to see if he needs data backed up first, otherwise you may have an angry friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

cheers for the info. Unfortunately all I have is win XP pro. I'd say I'm out of options (I was going to go down the clean install route)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can't use a branded Home CD for a different make of laptop

because the CD checks the BIOS it has to either be of the same brand dell / hp / acer or it has to be a generic unbranded one

have you checked the malware forum for fixes
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I hear what you are saying Capt'n Midnight, but perhaps I got lucky. I used an old laptop CD that used to have XP home on it. I used it to set up XP. Then I entered the product code on my mates laptop and it worked.

My bro gave me his comp to fix, so cheers for the malware forum looks like I'll be needing it now.

Advertisement