Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern play suggestions for Junior cert students.

Options
  • 24-03-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi ,was wondering if anyone had any ideas? am looking for ideas for plays for my current 2nd years (I'm an English teacher). We have done Romeo and Juliet but I want to do something different with them that the examiner will be pleased to correct something different. i have done Blood brothers with them which they loved but as we can't go and see it I don't think they are getting the real feel of the musical. obviously if it is nto a famous play we migt not be able to see it or even get it on DVD.

Am thinking of something simple but interesting like The Field, but that also has been "done to death"

Any ideas?

class will be a weak honours class!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

I presume you need to pick a play before the summer break?
    There is a lot of activity currently in amateur dramatic circles. The annual full length festival programme is at its peak at the moment culminating in the all-ireland finals during the first week in May in Athlone. the standard is always very high and there is always great diversity in the plays performed. There are about 40 festivals around the country - I don't know where you're based but in all liklihood, there was one probably close enough to your base. If you go to http://www.adci.ie/2009festivalcircuit.htm , you will see the different festivals and the plays which were / are competing. Each play receives a public critique by the adjudicator on the night so that would add another dimension to the experience. You may be too late for this year as the prelininary festivals are almost complete. You could also contact the Drama League of Ireland (dli.ie) who handle most of the amateur royalties for plays in Ireland. they will be able to tell you what plays are scheduled for performance. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

ah thanks a million for that. Thas was very interesting. Will the plays that amatuer groups are doing be easy to purchase in a kind of study book format rather than an actual script? the students will need to be able to read it easily highlight scenes etc. have you any recommendations of actual plays you would recommend?
    we are based on the northside of Dublin
    Thanks

Terri26 wrote: »
    ah thanks a million for that. Thas was very interesting. Will the plays that amatuer groups are doing be easy to purchase in a kind of study book format rather than an actual script? the students will need to be able to read it easily highlight scenes etc. have you any recommendations of actual plays you would recommend?
    we are based on the northside of Dublin
    Thanks

There wouldn't really be study texts for plays unless they were specified texts on a school curriculum. Does the junior cert specify that the play studied has to be a full length play? Could you consider a one-act? If so you could look at Brian Friels "Lovers" which consist of 2 one-act plays; "Winners" and "Losers". "Winners" would be suitable for schools as it deals with a young couple planning their future while studying for their Leaving cert. Its a lovely piece; funny but quite sad also. It has an interesting construction in that the main action is between the couple but there are also 2 narrators (a bit like newsreaders) who report on the action in advance of the action. So the audience know whats going to happen while watching the young couple planning their life together. You’d pick it up in any library.

Thanks Jorg, "Winners" sounds quite interesting! Will def look into that! thanks so much.

T

In case you haven't seen the new thread in this forum, check out:-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054910012

A group based in dublin is planning "Winners" for the end of May in the teachers club, Parnell Street! Coincidence or what!!

• Advertisement

lol - it must be fate!!

Advertisement