Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Wont Install! PLEASE HELP! URGENT

• 24-03-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Ok so I've sold my laptop on ebay and was meant to ship it off today.
    Last night I went to format it and do a clean install of vista onto it.
    Everything was going great until I rebooted it after i installed all the drivers for it (also updated the bios).
    When I turned it back on it loaded up to the Vista Loading screen thing. then paused for about a second and continued. this kept happening for about 2 hours before i turned it off.
    In safe boot it loads up to "crcdisk.sys" and stops and dosnt continue.
    I tried to repair windows and this showed up:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
    Problem Signature 03: 6
    Problem Signature 04: 2752554
    Problem Signature 05: NoBootFailure
    Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 3
    Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
    Problem Signature 10: 10
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

And the following text also:
    If you have recenty attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

So I unpluged everything that was plugged in (usb cable and a media remote reciver) and rebooted it. Same problem. (there is also a built in webcam in the laptop).

After that I decided to format it again and reinstall vista again.
    Everything went smoothly until after it rebooted and went to the completing installation thingy. It just stays on that part for hours (not frozen the . .. ... keeps going but the hdd activity led does go off).

So I dont know what to do now. Ive spent many hours at this today and last night and its really pissing me off now.

Theres no blue screens or anything. Ive tried multiple vista disks. Ive tried switching the wifi on and off.

If you know anything please post.

Laptop is a HP Pavilion HP Pavilion DV9658EA

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2GHz
    Memory: 2GB Ram
    Hard Drive: 250GB SATA
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

This is urgent and I will give a small reward to whoever can fix this problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ubaroo wrote: »
    Ok so I've sold my laptop on ebay and was meant to ship it off today.
    Last night I went to format it and do a clean install of vista onto it.
    Everything was going great until I rebooted it after i installed all the drivers for it (also updated the bios).
    When I turned it back on it loaded up to the Vista Loading screen thing. then paused for about a second and continued. this kept happening for about 2 hours before i turned it off.
    In safe boot it loads up to "crcdisk.sys" and stops and dosnt continue.
    I tried to repair windows and this showed up:

And the following text also:

So I unpluged everything that was plugged in (usb cable and a media remote reciver) and rebooted it. Same problem. (there is also a built in webcam in the laptop).

After that I decided to format it again and reinstall vista again.
    Everything went smoothly until after it rebooted and went to the completing installation thingy. It just stays on that part for hours (not frozen the . .. ... keeps going but the hdd activity led does go off).

So I dont know what to do now. Ive spent many hours at this today and last night and its really pissing me off now.

Theres no blue screens or anything. Ive tried multiple vista disks. Ive tried switching the wifi on and off.

If you know anything please post.

Laptop is a HP Pavilion HP Pavilion DV9658EA

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2GHz
    Memory: 2GB Ram
    Hard Drive: 250GB SATA
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

This is urgent and I will give a small reward to whoever can fix this problem.

I've seeing a few problems like this with Vista and reading through forms before. I would recommend that you update your BIOS and then reinstall Vista again. I also disable Windows Media Centre Service Launcher from "msconfig" in safe mode and see if you can boot normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Ubaroo

Vanbis wrote: »
    I've seeing a few problems like this with Vista and reading through forms before. I would recommend that you update your BIOS and then reinstall Vista again. I also disable Windows Media Centre Service Launcher from "msconfig" in safe mode and see if you can boot normally.

Thanks for the help but Ive already updated the bios and tried to reinstall vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

How many hard drives are connected? If more then one just connect the primary to the mobo and try installing then.

I just foudn out that there are two. but i do not have a small enough screw driver to open up the panels. Ill hunt around for one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

• Advertisement

Ohh I didnt know this section existed, sorry.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I just foudn out that there are two. but i do not have a small enough screw driver to open up the panels. Ill hunt around for one though.
    Hm, reminds me of a similar issue I had installing XP on a Dell laptop that came with Vista installed.

Vista was reading the two internal drives as one big drive somehow, but this was a nightmaer when it came to format and installing XP. Couldn't install Vista after that either.

In the end, the only way I could get XP installed was to remove HDD1 - for some curious reason, the OS would only install on HDD2. After OS was working etc, I put back in HDD1, which is now seen as a second drive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

byte wrote: »
    Vista was reading the two internal drives as one big drive somehow, but this was a nightmaer when it came to format and installing XP. Couldn't install Vista after that either.

In the end, the only way I could get XP installed was to remove HDD1 - for some curious reason, the OS would only install on HDD2. After OS was working etc, I put back in HDD1, which is now seen as a second drive.

Nothing unusual here- many laptops ship with two hard-drives configured in RAID0- which are displayed as 1 large hard-drive and have the information split over the two drives. It makes access a lot faster (depends on other factors)- but can cause probs if one drive fails- as all the data is lost.

Dell have this as a customizable option- as do HP, Acer and some other manufacturers- on high performance and some of their business range laptops.

RAID1 is normally an option as well (but of course this halves your available disk space).

Hi. I think ive fixed this. I forced the smallest screw driver i had to open up the hdd panels and to my surprise there was only one. Theres room for another though. I took that one out, plugged it into my desktop formatted and installed vista and now its works perfectly. I think the problem was that some files from the vista disk wernt being transfered to the hard drive, Im not sure though.

ohh ffs. Now its just blue screening over and over again.

It worked fine when i plugged it into my desktop and the second i put it back in my laptop it didnt work anymore.

Ok, I put an earlier version of the bios on a memory stuck and pluged it into the laptop. then i ran the .exe via command prompt which i accessed from the vista dvd with the repair option. but after it extracted it said i wasnt signed in as an amdministarator and then It closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ohh ffs. Now its just blue screening over and over again.

It worked fine when i plugged it into my desktop and the second i put it back in my laptop it didnt work anymore.

Wouldnt that be a hardware recognition issue?
    Security and all that
    I dont think you can install XP or vista on one machine and transfer the hard drive to another machine afterwards.

vectra wrote: »
    Wouldnt that be a hardware recognition issue?
    Security and all that
    I dont think you can install XP or vista on one machine and transfer the hard drive to another machine afterwards.

it worked for me before with vista anyway.

Fixed. Flashed the bios in cmd on the vista disk from a memory stick.

Advertisement