Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Hospital Scan

• 24-03-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to know how people got on at their first hospital scan? My partner and I visited the hospital for the first time last Friday and we were a bit surprised that they never even examined her or a thing. All they did was take blood, a urine sample and asked plenty of questions!

I even asked the nurse if they would examine her and she said my partner was only 12 weeks so there'd be nothing to examine yet! That comment seemed a bit leftfield to me as I know of people who have gotten private scans at 8 weeks.

They've told us our first scan is Wednesday week, April 1st, and, while we are looking forward to it, there's always a bit of worry there about everything being alright.

I've also been told that we could be sitting three to four hours waiting to actually get the scan. We've both got the day off work anyway but could it be that long? Is there anything we need to bring (other than the urine sample!)?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you a public patient?
    What hospital?
    A lot of people are only given the anomaly scan @20 something weeks and that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

We went for a private scan at 13 weeks in ultrasound.ie and the sonographer was really pleasant, patient, and answered all our questions.
    We then went for our scheduled 20 week scan in the hospital and the sonographer couldn't get us out of there soon enough, didn't answer any of our questions, and was generally really really rude.
    The difference between Private and semi-public I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Are you a public patient?
    What hospital?
    A lot of people are only given the anomaly scan @20 something weeks and that is all.

We are public and its Cavan hospital. Can nothing be known about the health of the baby until the anomaly scan then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Public, Hollis St/upstairs scanner (20 weeks), pleasant & efficient operator, but what we wearn't prepared for was the sheer emotion of it all, and when we actually saw little one on screen it was like tear City!

Oh, the tears of joy > new box of tissues please :))

Dunno why we both cried so much, but we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Lemlin wrote: »
    We are public and its Cavan hospital. Can nothing be known about the health of the baby until the anomaly scan then?

18-22 weeks is the optimal time for checking for anomalies using ultrasound - which is why the maternity hospitals do the scans at that point.

Before that, there's less chance of detecting any problems - partly because the baby is still developing so much. Early scans are great for seeing the baby, but all they can really tell you with any certainty is the number of babies present and if there is a heart-beat.

They can do a special scan at about 11-13 weeks to assess the risk for things like Down's Syndrome. I think its called a Nuchal scan or something like that. But there's not much point in having that done unless your baby is at extra risk for developing those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We never wanted or had any scans done for our two.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

VeryBerry wrote: »

They can do a special scan at about 11-13 weeks to assess the risk for things like Down's Syndrome. I think its called a Nuchal scan or something like that. But there's not much point in having that done unless your baby is at extra risk for developing those conditions.

The nuchal scan should be done a little earlier, during the first ultrasound. It's simply a question of measuring the width of the neck to check if there is a risk of DS. The next scan, at about 12 weeks, will give the relevant hormone levels which, if in combination with the neck scan and the mother's age put the pregnancy in a high-risk category (above 1 in 200 or thereabouts) will often result in an amniocentesis being performed and this is the only way of checking for DS or other genetic anomalies. It also gives the sex of the baby a little earlier than is usually possible with a simple ultrasound.

Beyond 15 weeks, if there is anything seriously wrong, it's a bit late to do anything about it.

Had the scan on Wednesday and it went great. The doctor was very nice. We listened to the heartbeat and watched the feet kicking. He gave us a pic as well and measured the head etc. so I presume everything is fine when he didn't say anything.

We've our next scan in 8 weeks at week 22. Would we be able to find out the sex then if they can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Hi there, I had my first scan at 20 weeks and the sonographer told us we were having a girl but couldn't be 100% sure because of the way the baby was lying with the cord in between her legs!!
    Had another scan 2 weeks later and we were told a girl once agin and she seemed fairly sure this time!!
    It depends on the way the baby is lying as to whether they can tell or not!
    We went for a 3d scan at 27 weeks and we could clearly see we were having a girl, we were over the moon.
    Didn't find out with dd1 and I couldn't wait to find out this time, I am very impatient!! Good luck hun x

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

oh wow another scan,you are lucky:)

We had a quick scan on our first visit at 12 weeks and then the anomaly scan at 22,the consultant listened to the heartbeat at all the visits but whether you got a scan or not depended in which of his rooms you ended up in.
    One he listened to the heart in the other he gave a quick scan.
    It depended totally on where you fell in the queue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Curly_Wurly

If you're only 12 weeks gone and even going privatly, I don't think they'll do an ultrasound unless you're high risk and they want to keep an eye on you...I think 18-20 wks is the most common time for a scan. I'm nearly 18 weeks and am having my 1st scan (going privately too) next week. My friend is a midwife and she was saying years ago they'd check you around 12 weeks and do an internal exam but now it's not done unless something is potentially wrong like heavy bleeding or something like that. So I wouldn't worry. When i was 12 weeks I was going on my GP and midwife visits and they used the doppler to hear the heartbeat so that's keeping me going till my scan next week!!

Good luck and don't be worrying. Remember if you've any concerns, your GP visits are free now so pester them for anything on your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Lemlin - did you hear about the Midwife Led Unit in Cavan? It's such a great service if you're eligible (and it's free!) In Cavan there's no labour wards...only 4 delivery suites so you either labour at home long enough to go straight to delivery - or labour in the antenatal ward with other women/visitors around you. If you go to the MLU you labour in a private suite and stay there right through the birth and after. I just spent 5 weeks in the Cavan maternity unit and the MLU is sitting empty !

Tracy

Do people give birth in shared laour suites?
    They don't do they?

Not usually - but if the 4 delivery suites are full you have to labour on the antenatal ward and if it's during visiting hours it can be a nightmare with all the other family members/kids running around.

Tracy

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Lemlin - did you hear about the Midwife Led Unit in Cavan? It's such a great service if you're eligible (and it's free!) In Cavan there's no labour wards...only 4 delivery suites so you either labour at home long enough to go straight to delivery - or labour in the antenatal ward with other women/visitors around you. If you go to the MLU you labour in a private suite and stay there right through the birth and after. I just spent 5 weeks in the Cavan maternity unit and the MLU is sitting empty !

Tracy

We're not eligible for the MLU. Why were ya in the maternity ward for 5 weeks?/

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Not usually - but if the 4 delivery suites are full you have to labour on the antenatal ward and if it's during visiting hours it can be a nightmare with all the other family members/kids running around.

Tracy

That sounds terrible:(
    I would not be able for that at all.

There are two bathrooms on the ward that have baths in them.....lock yourself in there and spend lots of time in the bath.

Tracy

Does anyone know if the private scan for €250 or so in Blackrock Clinic is worth getting? I heard they give you a video so just wondering if that is worth getting.

If you want it go for a 3D scan.
    It is realy up to choice,I didn't bother.
    Alot of other people here did and I can imagine it was a great experience:)

Advertisement