Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The turning point for me

Options
  • 24-03-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

under Harry was Woodgate's winner at Hull. The belief came flooding back and we've been a different side since then.

I wonder will we end up looking back to it in years to come as the start of the Redknapp Spurs dynesty (ala Mark Robins goal at Forest) ?

You heard it here 1st ;)

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sorry to be negative, but one swallow does not a summer make.

We've been here before, too many times, and I'm too long in the tooth to start looking anywhere beyond the end of this season.

We need to be very astute in the coming summer with transfers, both in and out. We cannot afford to replace five or six first team players again, but by the same token we need to invest carefully to supplement the existing squad and give us real options to change our style and shape.

We currently have no midfielder who can change a game from the bench, as an absolute minimum we should try to secure a left-footed version of Lennon, not necessarily a starter but someone who can give an opposition right back something to think about would be nice. I love Modric, but he won't beat a man with pace and if himself and Lennon are marked out of a game we are toothless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Sorry to be negative, but one swallow does not a summer make.

We've been here before, too many times, and I'm too long in the tooth to start looking anywhere beyond the end of this season.

We need to be very astute in the coming summer with transfers, both in and out. We cannot afford to replace five or six first team players again, but by the same token we need to invest carefully to supplement the existing squad and give us real options to change our style and shape.

We currently have no midfielder who can change a game from the bench, as an absolute minimum we should try to secure a left-footed version of Lennon, not necessarily a starter but someone who can give an opposition right back something to think about would be nice. I love Modric, but he won't beat a man with pace and if himself and Lennon are marked out of a game we are toothless.

Fair enough, I'm not getting carried away though, just speculating and there's no harm in that surely. Beleive me mate, I know how Spurs can self destruct just when things are looking rosy.

I am quite positive at the moment Ro. Slightly worried about top 4 sniffing around Lennon in the summer but apart from that I reckon we're in good shape.

As far as assessment goes, I try not to dig deeper than the performences on the field. We seem to have a well balanced side now and this started to take shape ever since Hull, since then we've just been getting better and better.

My feet are still firmly on the ground though, and I will still be renting out my season ticket next year, but there are some very positive things happening at Spurs and I hope they continue and Harry and Levy build on them, that's all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

To be honest your not going to know untill a few years have past but i think TRO pretty much covered everything there we need the left mid sorted and I don't know where Modric is going to fit into the squad as harry likes to play a 4-4-2.

I really hope your right tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

To be honest your not going to know untill a few years have past but i think TRO pretty much covered everything there we need the left mid sorted and I don't know where Modric is going to fit into the squad as harry likes to play a 4-4-2.

I really hope your right tho.

Fingers crossed - Obviosly it could still all go tits up in typical spurs fashion - but who knows, maybe it will be looked back as the start of something beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

under Harry was Woodgate's winner at Hull. The belief came flooding back and we've been a different side since then.

I wonder will we end up looking back to it in years to come as the start of the Redknapp Spurs dynasty (ala Mark Robins goal at Forest) ?

You heard it here 1st ;)

COYS
    That game and the return of Keane, and having King playing on a regular basis has improved thing greatly...COYS..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would also go as far as to say the Return on Keane.

maybe not caused by him but since he came back we seem to keep looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

As regards astuteness in the transfer market - we've got a manager whose buying record is second to none, and he'll have access to more cash than he's used to and a club with more pulling power than h's used to. No worries on that score i think.

My only worry is balance.
    Modric + Keane + Defoe...you cant fit them into a starting 11 together - individually theyre too good to be sitting on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

My only worry is balance.
    Modric + Keane + Defoe...you cant fit them into a starting 11 together - individually theyre too good to be sitting on the bench.

You may be right but I think they'll all start next season with the likes of Crouch on the bench as plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

yiddo wrote: »
    You may be right but I think they'll all start next season with the likes of Crouch on the bench as plan B.
    I would be so dissapointed if he bought crouch hes a selfish player and i just don't like him but there will be as many players out as in this coming summer but i'd like to see more of obika i thought he was great in the shaktar match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I would be so dissapointed if he bought crouch hes a selfish player and i just don't like him but there will be as many players out as in this coming summer but i'd like to see more of obika i thought he was great in the shaktar match.

I dont think he's a selfish player to be honest.

I think his future depends on wether Pompey stay up or not. If they do stay up Id imagine he will stay with them as he seems to be happy just playing football every week, whereas he'd be in and out if he came to us.

But if they go down, he'll be snapped up by someone for definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wouldn't mind him TBH,

I can't see him being in too much of a hurry warming the bench here though assuming Harry does go with Defoe and Keane upfront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Fair enough, I'm not getting carried away though, just speculating and there's no harm in that surely. Beleive me mate, I know how Spurs can self destruct just when things are looking rosy.

I would not put it past this team to go to Blackburn next week and get hammered - sorry, but I agree, we need a really consistent run of about 20 games before I begin to get faith back in this Spurs team - I don't mean 20 wins, but 20 good performances! We have had five, so only another 15 to go:mad:

Advertisement