Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heston Blumenthal's Feasts

• 24-03-2009 10:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone been watching these programs on Channel 4? He makes a feast from a different era every week, and they're typically very, very far out there. This week is the Romans and one dish was cows brain custard. It's fascinating, but honestly a lot of it is downright hard to watch. I nearly gagged watching him prepare the brains.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Here, here. Fascinating but difficult to watch if your squemish. His Victorian feast was class. Love his approach to cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hedgehog33

I tried to watch some of the tudor one the other night, but I'm very squeamish, so turned over! Don't think I missed much really because I doubt the recipes can be replicated in normal people's kitchens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gotta feel bad for those frogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think Blumenthal is extremely innovative.. take the chef-turned-attention-whore's like Ramsey and Oliver. Don't get me wrong.. they're both very talented but Heston has a real flair and definitely thinks outside the box.

Hope we see more of him as I never really heard much about it before he took on the "Little Chef" project.

PS - his tasting menu in The Fat Duck restaurant is an interesting read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

hedgehog33 wrote: »
    I tried to watch some of the tudor one the other night, but I'm very squeamish, so turned over! Don't think I missed much really because I doubt the recipes can be replicated in normal people's kitchens!

Think it more to do with the drama of cooking as opposed to learning new recipies, hope so anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Did anyone read about the food poisoning scare at the Fat Duck?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/27/heston-blumenthal-fat-duck

How sad is it that it looks like sabotage...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Did anyone read about the food poisoning scare at the Fat Duck?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/27/heston-blumenthal-fat-duck

How sad is it that it looks like sabotage...

Thought it turned out to be Norovirus (vomiting bug), not food poisoning at all.

A girl in the office is bringing her hubby over for his birthday for the tasting menu. He only eats chicken and hates flying. Who's birthday is it again? :rolleyes:

Would love to try it myself but the expense is unjustifiable at the moment I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Or however you spell his feckin name. Has anyone been watching the shows? I find them entertaining. A wonderful chefgician he is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, it seems it was the Norovirus: http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUKTRE52J3PM20090320. It's the same thing that causes the Winter Vomiting Bug, afaik.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

WindSock wrote: »
    Or however you spell his feckin name. Has anyone been watching the shows? I find them entertaining. A wonderful chefgician he is.

I've merged your post to an existing thread WindSock :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Didn't see this thread, thanks.

Here is the channel 4 page with some recipes.

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/heston-blumenthal/feast/

I would love to try the ejaculating volcano dessert from last night.I want to hire him to cater for a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Faith wrote: »
    This week is the Romans and one dish was cows brain custard. It's fascinating, but honestly a lot of it is downright hard to watch. I nearly gagged watching him prepare the brains.

Thoughts?

In some parts of Italy we still eat cow brains, it is one of the greatest things you can taste, if it's grilled it's crusty outside and creamy inside, hmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...nthal-fat-duck

http://uk.reuters.com/article/health...52J3PM20090320

Why I believe little I read;

The guardian article states that 40 diners reported ill and 400 had their bookings cancelled.

The reuters article states that 400 diners reported ill and 800 had their bookings cancelled.

If reputable news sources can get it so wrong imaging how wrong word of mouth sources can be.

I generally disregard any food scares I hear as urban myths unless I know personally the people involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I just love his approach to cooking, it's a mix of science and art! I'm enthralled by these shows, and big chef takes on little chef was excellent too. I usually miss them from working late so it's great to watch them online on channel4 catchup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

wonderful chefgician he is.

lol...very good. :D

Id love to go to The fat Duck. aint gonna be happenning any time soon though. I hate snails and detest porridge so I wouldnt like that bit of the menu. Id be swapping plates with whoever was with me.

The calves brains custard looked revolting. Although I did like the garam idea. I wouldnt attempt to make it myself as I suspect the end result might be higly toxic. :)

Advertisement