Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Is it possible to chase up a conversion and catch it on the other side of the posts and score a try?
    No. Ball is dead. It is either a successful kick, blocked kick or missed kick.

I've only ever seen a blocked conversion once in my lifetime. Mehrtens in the Bledisloe Cup at SFS in 1998 (pretty sure it was '98). The game where Matty Burke popped a shoulder scoring in the corner.
    The kick was blocked by 'Bernie' Larkham. Everyone in the stands was stunned. Took a few seconds to actually take it in that it was a block.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

What if you were clean through, heading for the posts. On the run you execute a nice high lobbed drop kick that bisects the posts, but you catch it on the other side before it hits the ground, ground the ball for a try, run back around to front of the posts and do a quick drop goal conversion.

Would you get 10 points for your team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

What if you were clean through, heading for the posts. On the run you execute a nice high lobbed drop kick that bisects the posts, but you catch it on the other side before it hits the ground, ground the ball for a try, run back around to front of the posts and do a quick drop goal conversion.

no only the 3 points for the drop goal as the other team would have to restart the game with a drop off from halfway

No.

Okay, last one. Remember Stephen Jones missing that long range penalty, thus handing Ireland the Grand Slam? What was stopping Paulie giving Donners a leg up onto the posts, and him slapping it away should it have been close enough and potentially going over?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

JustinDee wrote: »
    I've only ever seen a blocked conversion once in my lifetime. Mehrtens in the Bledisloe Cup at SFS in 1998 (pretty sure it was '98). The game where Matty Burke popped a shoulder scoring in the corner.
    The kick was blocked by 'Bernie' Larkham. Everyone in the stands was stunned. Took a few seconds to actually take it in that it was a block.

Jonny Sexton had one charged down back in 2006 when playing in the Churchill Cup against the USA. Sexton's kicks used have a very low trajectory and I think it was Paul Emerick got a hand on it. Always a bizarre sight.

Okay, last one. Remember Stephen Jones missing that long range penalty, thus handing Ireland the Grand Slam? What was stopping Paulie giving Donners a leg up onto the posts, and him slapping it away should it have been close enough and potentially going over?

Law 9.B.3 (a)

Here's the block by Larkham I mentioned:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fFJsHGuQ54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Enjoyed that. Not something you see every day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

conversion thread merged into Laws Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

What a mental question.

Why would you drop a goal and then run to catch it?

If you could drop a goal, catch it and ground, why would you run quickly back around to do a quick conversion...why not take your time. Sure, feck it, since your're in the in-goal why dont you drop it from behind the goal....and no, you can't, before you ask.

GerM wrote: »
    Jonny Sexton had one charged down back in 2006 when playing in the Churchill Cup against the USA. Sexton's kicks used have a very low trajectory and I think it was Paul Emerick got a hand on it. Always a bizarre sight.

Young Munster v Garryowen under-12 1998. I was like a cookie monster!

Surley wrote: »
    That seems a bit ridiculous that TMO can't check for forward passes and the like when a try is scored.

Why is it ridiculous? Sure you could get rid of the referee then and adjudicate from the TMO. What if the knock on that caused the scrum that led to the try was not a knock on?

Yeah that's a good point. But a lot happened between that pass and Nacewa crossing the line. I think anything 5-10 meters out from the try line would be acceptable for the TMO to look at

So 10m is ok. Phew, now the ref's know not to ask the TMO on any incident outside of 11m...such as the quick lineout that never was for Wales V IReland in the 6 NAtions

Was just wondering under the rules of rugby, if one charges down a conversion attempt (like seen below) but say caught the ball and ran the pitch unchallenged, would he/she be entitled to score a try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H56q6xXlySY

I reckon if they they ran the whole pitch then yes, they should be entitled. But they're not. But it would be hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

karlitob wrote: »
    So 10m is ok. Phew, now the ref's know not to ask the TMO on any incident outside of 11m...such as the quick lineout that never was for Wales V IReland in the 6 NAtions

I'll admit I didn't think that through all the way but there's no need to get worked up about it. Relax

I'll admit I didn't think that through all the way but there's no need to get worked up about it. Relax

Are you okay? Did I hurt your feelings?

Can one do a drop kick from behind the posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,223 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why would anyone want to do a drop kick from behind the posts, surely you'd touch it down for a try.:confused:

I've already answered your post. Post 462. Read the forum especially replies to your post before you post.

And besides, thats a stupid question as phog pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

May already have been asked but what about this.

Im running along with the ball and foresee that Im gonna get smashed by a couple of the oppostion players. I jump into the air just before they make contact and they take me out in the air.

Do I get a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

almighty1 wrote: »
    May already have been asked but what about this.

Im running along with the ball and foresee that Im gonna get smashed by a couple of the oppostion players. I jump into the air just before they make contact and they take me out in the air.

Do I get a penalty?

In theory yes. Sure though the 'smash' will be worse if you are in the air?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Downtime wrote: »
    In theory yes. Sure though the 'smash' will be worse if you are in the air?

Your not allowed jump into a tackle as far as I remember and its a penalty against you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

castie wrote: »
    Your not allowed jump into a tackle as far as I remember and its a penalty against you.

Ok if I stop dead in my tracks and just hop on the spot.

Its an interesting topic though because if somebody is diving for the line and is tackled. Then the tackler took him out in the air + the potential try-scorer wasnt jumping into a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Not allowed jump a tackle, I'm sure that covers whether you're running or standing still.

What amazes me is that no one pings Shane Williams for it as he does it all the time.

castie wrote: »

There is no specific law in relation to jumping a tackle - it is not illgeal. However I would say it comes under law 10.4 (k) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure. Penalty: Penalty Kick

Downtime wrote: »
    There is no specific law in relation to jumping a tackle - it is not illgeal. However I would say it comes under law 10.4 (k) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure. Penalty: Penalty Kick

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6934

Seems your correct alright but that its considered dangerous play.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzajf

I have a question relating to the laws of the game.

If a player takes a drop at goal and his drop goal attempt bounces 5 yards short of the goalposts and then goes over the crossbar, what happens?

My second comment is an observation, I am uncomfortable with the instances when referees allow ball-carrying players to get up and continue running after being brought down by exclaiming "NOT HELD", this is in direct conflict with the law directing tacklers to release the tackled player straight away. A grey area which the IRB needs to address.

bazzajf wrote: »
    I have a question relating to the laws of the game.

If a player takes a drop at goal and his drop goal attempt bounces 5 yards short of the goalpots and then goes over the crossbar, what happens?

It must go over on the full.

• Advertisement

bazzajf wrote: »
    My second comment is an observation, I am uncomfortable with the instances when referees allow ball-carrying players to get up and continue running after being brought down by exclaiming "NOT HELD", this is in direct conflict with the law directing tacklers to release the tackled player straight away. A grey area which the IRB needs to address.

I don't believe that that is in direct conflict. It is two different laws. I do however agree with what you are saying. Whether or not there is a tackler, if a player is held and brought to ground he must play or release the ball. He cannot get back up. It is not refereed well.

Advertisement