Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Sundy wrote: »
    If i rightly recall Rob Kearney got a yellow for this against wales or somebody a year or two ago.

Edit: Maybe wasnt Kearney, deffo saw it happen though.

Twas Tommy Bowe, if I remember correctly. Penalty try, yellow card combo I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

It was Tommy Bowe against the All Blacks in Croke Park.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Reloc8 wrote: »
    It was Tommy Bowe against the All Blacks in Croke Park.

Yup!

http://www.rugbydump.com/2008/11/749/new-zealand-triumph-against-ireland-at-croke-park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

One of the Boks got binned for a deliberate knock-on in the Tonga game - it offends the spirit of the game (the deliberate knock-on, not the binning!)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

It was John Smit against Samoa.
    it offends the spirit of the game
    not in South Africa ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when jamie o'connor was taking the conversion for australia in the quarter final a springbok player ran in front of him before he kicked the ball...surely this is against the rules??????

fryup wrote: »
    when jamie o'connor was taking the conversion for australia in the quarter final a springbok player ran in front of him before he kicked the ball...surely this is against the rules??????

For a conversion your entitled to charge the player kicking once he was begun his run up. (Not sure what the technical term for run up is)

castie wrote: »
    For a conversion your entitled to charge the player kicking once he was begun his run up. (Not sure what the technical term for run up is)

Yeah, once the player has moved towards the ball you are entitled to charge them.

If there is an early charge, or if any of the players are touching the posts, I believe the ref can order the conversion retaken.

Ste_D wrote: »
    Yeah, once the player has moved towards the ball you are entitled to charge them.

If there is an early charge, or if any of the players are touching the posts, I believe the ref can order the conversion retaken.

I remember charging a guy because I thought he had started but he hadnt.
    Seemed it rattled the guy as he shanked the kick very badly when he took it again. (first time was quite close)

:confused:but, o'connor didn't move...the springbok made no attempt to block it he just sauntered up in front of him, the crowd booed the ref did nothing..it was a strange scenario

• Advertisement

:confused:but, o'connor didn't move...the springbok made no attempt to block it he just sauntered up in front of him, the crowd booed the ref did nothing..it was a strange scenario

Got a link to it?

If you check it out again O'Connor did move, just not towards the ball. He does some silly waving of his hands before he starts his run up. They started the charge down when he did that.

Edit: Found this video - its not from the RWC - its from the tri nations, but watch his movements before he starts to run up to the ball, he does move his feet.

If you check it out again O'Connor did move, just not towards the ball. He does some silly waving of his hands before he starts his run up. They started the charge down when he did that.

so...can that be classed as a run up??

so...can that be classed as a run up??

He motions forward with his feet and then steps back.
    That to me is start of a run up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

In relation to the O'Connor kick, this article was posted on the official Wallabies website.
    Wallaby wing James O’Connor is in no doubt that he will ask for a re-kick should an All Black break early in an attempt to charge down one of his conversion attempts in the semi-final against New Zealand on Sunday.

The Australians have reviewed an incident from their quarter-final win over South Africa where Springboks' wing JP Pietersen prematurely charged O’Connor as he prepared to attempt a conversion of James Horwill’s 11th-minute try.

After being told to retreat by referee Bryce Lawrence, Pietersen jogged out of the way, only for O’Connor to subsequently miss the kick.

“I didn’t notice it too much - my focus is clearly on the ball. But if it happens again, we’ve spoken about it, and I’ll be taking a re-kick,” the 21-year-old Wallaby said.

The incident would no doubt have attracted greater scrutiny if Australia’s two-point winning margin against South Africa had instead been the margin of defeat.

Distinctive routine

But the Wallabies managed to survive the match 11-9, so they can afford to live and learn from the experience.

The difficulty they face is that O’Connor’s distinctive pre-kick routine begins with a foot movement that could be easily mistaken as the start of his approach to the ball.

Tellingly, JP Pietersen is not the only opponent at Rugby World Cup 2011 to have been fooled.

A similar incident occurred in Australia’s Pool C clash with Russia, when a Bears’ player mistimed his attempted charge down and O’Connor suffered his only missed conversion from his 10 attempts for the match.

The Laws of Rugby state that no player of the team that has conceded a try may cross their own try-line to prevent the conversion attempt until the kicker begins their approach to the ball.

If there is an infringement of this rule and the kick misses, the referee is obliged to allow another conversion attempt.

In neither match did the Australians approach the referee to request a re-take of the kick but this is now set to change.

“Obviously James (O’Connor) is closer to the action, so he'll ask. But if that doesn't work then I'll ask the question,” captain Horwill said.

“It is stated in the rules that he is allowed if he wants it."

He motions forward with his feet and then steps back.
    That to me is start of a run up.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Although I'm sure he would argue that he hasnt actually moved forward.

The fact that defences on several different teams have been confused by it would indicate that they think hes moved towards the ball too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

touch judging my first game tomorrow.
    Just wanna make sure of a few rules

If a player touches the in goal flag and touches down a try it is a try, he would have to hit the bottom of the flag yes?

also if the ball is kicked out of play but swerves back in is that out or in?

the flag is in play these days, only the lines are out of play.

If the ball hits the ground out of play, it is out, but if it swerves across the line in mid-air and re-enters the pitch without hitting the ground it is still in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

When dos an uncontested scrum happen?
    Was playing a few years ago and one of these happened. Wasn't sure why at the time... just curious now.

When dos an uncontested scrum happen?
    Was playing a few years ago and one of these happened. Wasn't sure why at the time... just curious now.

Theres a few reasons.
    Most common would be when one of the teams does not have a trained front row whether it be injury or one of the front three being carded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Sorry if this is a digression, but what exactly is an uncontested scrum? I mean, what happens? Does it mean one side just start with ball in hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

19543261 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a digression, but what exactly is an uncontested scrum? I mean, what happens? Does it mean one side just start with ball in hand?

You still go through the motions of the scrum but theres no drive from either side. Theres no attempt made to win the ball and the feeding team retain possession.

MungBean wrote: »
    You still go through the motions of the scrum but theres no drive from either side. Theres no attempt made to win the ball and the feeding team retain possession.
    Scrum infringements can still be pinged though like not feeding straight or props not binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Scrum infringements can still be pinged though like not feeding straight or props not binding.

technically yes , but you wouldnt really bother castie , well i wouldnt , would you?

Shelflife wrote: »
    technically yes , but you wouldnt really bother castie , well i wouldnt , would you?

Only mentioned as I saw a guy doing it in a J5 game a year or two ago in Dublin.
    Was pretty hilarious at everyones reaction at penalty for not binding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Only mentioned as I saw a guy doing it in a J5 game a year or two ago in Dublin.
    Was pretty hilarious at everyones reaction at penalty for not binding.

Not binding can be dangerous because it disrupts the structural integrity of the scrum........saying that, if there's no pushing 'n' shoving that hardly matters:)

Maybe the ref wanted to practice giving penalties:D

There is one small differences as far as I know. At any regular scrum the back row can break off as long as they retreat 5 yards. They cant do this from an uncontested scrum.

** Heard this off a J2 ref so it could well be complete bullsh*t :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

There is one small differences as far as I know. At any regular scrum the back row can break off as long as they retreat 5 yards. They cant do this from an uncontested scrum.

** Heard this off a J2 ref so it could well be complete bullsh*t :D

He was wrong. The 8 cannot break from the 'regular' scrum. There was a rule that the 8 couldn't pick and go in an uncontested scrum but this is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I've seen this a few times where kickers do an excessive amount of shuffling/fidgeting. IF the would-be charging player is acting in good faith, it seems harsh to penalize him by giving the kicker with two bites at the cherry. Seems reasonable for the ref to let it go and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Mind you, at the level you're talking about, very little happens by accident. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not binding can be dangerous because it disrupts the structural integrity of the scrum........saying that, if there's no pushing 'n' shoving that hardly matters:)

Bear in mind that you have now got a player in the front row who has (in all probability) never played there before, and who could be totally the wrong shape for the job. Add in the fact that there is always the possibility of a second row having a brain fart and engaging normally, a prop taking it into his head to have a little go at the newbie etc...

Binding also keeps the players stuck to the scrum that bit longer, giving the pretty boys a chance to do their thing. A loosehead can pop out the side almost as fast as a flanker if there is no bind/pressure from the lock.

Advertisement