Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

............who could be totally the wrong shape for the job. Add in the fact that there is always the possibility of a second row having a brain fart and engaging normally,............

FYP:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Bear in mind that you have now got a player in the front row who has (in all probability) never played there before, and who could be totally the wrong shape for the job. Add in the fact that there is always the possibility of a second row having a brain fart and engaging normally, a prop taking it into his head to have a little go at the newbie etc...

Binding also keeps the players stuck to the scrum that bit longer, giving the pretty boys a chance to do their thing. A loosehead can pop out the side almost as fast as a flanker if there is no bind/pressure from the lock.

Whenever a team went uncontested against me as A TH.
    I held my bind as tight as possible to prevent the loosehead (usually a flanker..cheating piece of....) from breaking.

The amount of guys that went to the ref and actually complained about me binding. Puzzled look on the ref was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

I heard talk that in future if a team lose a prop and dont have a replacement, then the ref can decide to go for uncontested scrums but the team are not allowed to replace the prop. They have to play with 14 men. This sounds like a really good idea to me, anyone know anything solid about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ste_D wrote: »
    I heard talk that in future if a team lose a prop and dont have a replacement, then the ref can decide to go for uncontested scrums but the team are not allowed to replace the prop. They have to play with 14 men. This sounds like a really good idea to me, anyone know anything solid about this??

Have you a source and some clearer facts about this before people can comment on same, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Have you a source and some clearer facts about this before people can comment on same, please?

No, it was just an idea i heard thrown around, I was mentioning it to see if anybody has some facts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

With rolling substitutions, if you have used all your substitutions, and then lose a prop, you cannot replace him and have to go uncontested.

Downtime wrote: »
    With rolling substitutions, if you have used all your substitutions, and then lose a prop, you cannot replace him and have to go uncontested.

Just to back this up...

http://www.arlb.ie/?page_id=984

7. After all 12 changes have been made, no other changes will be allowed for whatever reason including injuries. If, after the 12 changes have been made there is any reason for a player to leave the field of play, the team must play on with one less player. Uncontested scrums will apply if this involves a front-row player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

First of all, a team cannot have any substitutes unless they have front rows on the bench: http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/2/3/21/before-the-match/number-of-players-the-team/suitably-trained-and-experienced-players-in-the-front-row/#clause_21

AFAIR, the notion you describe was being kicked around for a while, but was abandoned when Law 3.14 (the 2nd substitute prop) was introduced.

I like the idea of discouraging teams from faking injuries, but this would introduce the danger of a frontrow with a real injury staying on when he shouldn't.

First of all, a team cannot have any substitutes unless they have front rows on the bench: http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/2/3/21/before-the-match/number-of-players-the-team/suitably-trained-and-experienced-players-in-the-front-row/#clause_21

AFAIR, the notion you describe was being kicked around for a while, but was abandoned when Law 3.14 (the 2nd substitute prop) was introduced.

I like the idea of discouraging teams from faking injuries, but this would introduce the danger of a frontrow with a real injury staying on when he shouldn't.

This is not enforced in Leinster Im sure of.

In Munster its one sub front row enforced.

Dave, as per that rule the suitable cover for the front row need not be on the bench; they can be players on the starting 15.

• Advertisement

castie wrote: »
    This is not enforced in Leinster Im sure of.

In Munster its one sub front row enforced.

It is enforced in Leinster. If you have no FRR you cannot have any subs. This is not a province by province thing - it is a rugby law. Provinces may only decide on the number of allowed subs per competition.

It is enforced in Leinster. If you have no FRR you cannot have any subs. This is not a province by province thing - it is a rugby law. Provinces may only decide on the number of allowed subs per competition.

J4 and J5 do not have this in Leinster

castie wrote: »
    J4 and J5 do not have this in Leinster

You are correct with regard to J5. Only in the J5 League are FRR not required. The J4 League requires 2 FRR as do the other 26 competitions.

You are correct with regard to J5. Only in the J5 League are FRR not required. The J4 League requires 2 FRR as do the other 26 competitions.

Then its not enforced as ive been on teams with none and none declared yet still had other subs.

I didnt say the rule wasnt there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Whats the law on 21mm studs? legal or not?

And in u-14 are players only allowed kick inside their 22?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Samich wrote: »

not sure about the studs rule but the kicking part is correct

Legal.

Regulation 12, Appendix 2
    Studs/cleats of player’s boots must conform with IRB Specifications
    (Regulation 12), must not be longer than 21 mm, and must not have any
    burring or sharp edges.

In U14 normal rules apply to kicking from within own 22 and from penalties. Outside of own 22, then the team kicking the ball must retain possession from the kick; if they fail to do so and there is no advantage to the opposition, then a scrum will be awarded to the opposition at the spot from where the ball was kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

In Connacht we have been told to ignore these "local" rules and implement irfu rules only.

Team A have the ball, a maul is formed and team A are moving forward at a rate of knots, the maul collapses.

am i correct to say that it now becomes a ruck and team B must release the ball and the players and roll away, if the ball in unplayable do team A get the put in.

if the maul collapses and team b prevent the ball from going to ground what is the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Shelflife wrote: »
    Team A have the ball, a maul is formed and team A are moving forward at a rate of knots, the maul collapses.

am i correct to say that it now becomes a ruck and team B must release the ball and the players and roll away, if the ball in unplayable do team A get the put in.

if the maul collapses and team b prevent the ball from going to ground what is the call.

No, the laws for a collapsed maul are different to rucking laws. There was a clarification this year that if a maul collapses, any players legally taking part in the maul have no obligation to roll away or release the ball. The maul has come to an unsuccessful end and team B get the put in to the scrum

Not sure what you mean by prevent the ball from going to ground. Hope this helps

A maul can't become a ruck. No obligation for anybody to release, and unless the ball is immediately available, scrum to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

Quick Question - What constitutes as a tackle because I have seen some players been allowed to get up and play as they were not deemed to be held and other players adjudged to be held in the tackle when it does not look like they were? :confused:

I believe this area of the game is getting more difficult to officiate as players are tackling and rolling away from being in an offside position much quicker in recent times so as to avoid giving away a penalty...

07438991 wrote: »
    Quick Question - What constitutes as a tackle because I have seen some players been allowed to get up and play as they were not deemed to be held and other players adjudged to be held in the tackle when it does not look like they were? :confused:

It's a tackle when ball carrier is held and brought to ground by an opposing player/s. The tackler/s are the players who bring you to ground while the tackled player is the ball carried brought to ground. As per the law book, once one knee touches the ground you are deemed to be brought to ground and hence a tackle is made and the obligation to release come into play.
    I believe this area of the game is getting more difficult to officiate as players are tackling and rolling away from being in an offside position much quicker in recent times so as to avoid giving away a penalty...

What makes it harder for referees are players who don't know the rules at the breakdown ;)

I mean what constitutes as a player being held in the tackle...? I don't think it was clarified too well...

I mean what constitutes as a player being held in the tackle...? I don't think it was clarified too well...

What I stated above is a tackle. If a player isn't brought to ground by an opponent then no tackle has taken place.

We had it clarified at a recent meeting.

where a player is tackled and brought to ground then he is deemed to be tackled and must release the ball.

even if it appears that the tackler has never held him on the ground but has brought him to ground then he is deemed to be held and must release the ball.

a foot tap does not constitute being held and the player may get up and play on.

We had it clarified at a recent meeting.

where a player is tackled and brought to ground then he is deemed to be tackled and must release the ball.

even if it appears that the tackler has never held him on the ground but has brought him to ground then he is deemed to be held and must release the ball.

a foot tap does not constitute being held and the player may get up and play on.

Who's we...? Getting very official. Alain Rolland is that you...? :P

Who's we...? Getting very official. Alain Rolland is that you...? :P

At a recent refs meeting, we being the local eejits who ref in the west :)

• Advertisement

In U14 normal rules apply to kicking from within own 22 and from penalties. Outside of own 22, then the team kicking the ball must retain possession from the kick; if they fail to do so and there is no advantage to the opposition, then a scrum will be awarded to the opposition at the spot from where the ball was kicked.

This is now gone. Normal kicking rules apply in U13 and U14.

Advertisement