Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Shelflife wrote: »
    True but if you are running at full speed and throw a flat pass on the halfway line the reciever will collect it past the halfway line. it looks grand until the passer is tackled and stopped on the halfway line and the reciever collects it a metre ahead of the line.

Agreed and thats what the article I replied with shows.
    But to claim its more or less impossible to throw a ball backwards when running is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Quick law question......

Attacking player carries the ball over the line but in the act of trying to ground it the defence get control of the ball and as it is placed at the back of the ruck (ruck is over the tryline in the scoring zone) the ref blows the whistle as he feels the ball has been touched down by the defending team. Is this a scrum 5 or should it be a 22 drop out seeing as the attacking team caused the ball to go over the tryline? Happened in our match on Sat and I'm curious as to the correct call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

castie wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish.
    If I throw a pass at a 80 degree angle to the sideline in a backwards direction unless im the flash its going to be moving backwards even though my motion is forwards and so is the guy very deep from me whos recieving.

I take your point. Where the forward motion is less relative to the angle back at which the pass is made, the 'phenomenon' does not arise.

I should have made clear that I was only talking about the very lateral passes made at a bit of speed illustrated in the link given by yourself. Clearly if the ball is passed at a very acute angle to the sidelines its likely to be moving backwards both over the ground and relative to the point of release. The point is that the law as interpreted and applies only requires compliance with the latter of those two possibilities.

Bit loose of me - sorry.
    No, forward means towards the opposition's try line. There are instances in oepn play when a player may pass the ball forward relative to how he is facing; a scrum half from a loose or set scrum being a common enough one :)

Very true - its about where his point of release is and whether the ball moves forward from there as opposed to what direction he is facing.
    Quick law question......

Attacking player carries the ball over the line but in the act of trying to ground it the defence get control of the ball and as it is placed at the back of the ruck (ruck is over the tryline in the scoring zone) the ref blows the whistle as he feels the ball has been touched down by the defending team. Is this a scrum 5 or should it be a 22 drop out seeing as the attacking team caused the ball to go over the tryline? Happened in our match on Sat and I'm curious as to the correct call.

Law 22.7 applies in the usual way :-

"22.7 RESTARTING AFTER A TOUCH DOWN
    (a) When an attacking player sends or carries the ball into the opponents’ in-goal and it becomes dead there, either because a defender grounded it or because it went into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead ball line, a drop-out is awarded. "

In your example the attacking players have sent or carried the ball into the opponent's in goal where it is made dead by the touchdown - 22 drop out is the correct call.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Quick law question......

Assuming the attacking team carried the ball into "In Goal"...
    • If the attacking player was in possession of the ball and the ball was grounded by an attacking player, it's a try.
    • If the attacking player was in possession and the ball is ripped and grounded by a defending player (Let's assume that's how he got it), it's a 22.
    • If it is unclear as to who grounded the ball or if it's unlcear who grounded then it's a scrum to the team going forward.
    The laws relation to rucks and mauls don't come into it as rucks/mauls don't exist in "In goal" once the ball reaches the try line.

• If the attacking player was in possession of the ball and the ball was grounded by an attacking player, it's a try.
    • If the attacking player was in possession and the ball is ripped and grounded by a defending player (Let's assume that's how he got it), it's a 22.
    • If it is unclear as to who grounded the ball or if it's unlcear who grounded then it's a scrum to the team going forward.
    The laws relation to rucks and mauls don't come into it as rucks/mauls don't exist in "In goal" once the ball reaches the try line.

I think the defender can also put the ball touch in goal and still get a 22 once the attacking team have brought the ball into the in goal area?

• Advertisement

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Law 22.7 applies in the usual way :-

"22.7 RESTARTING AFTER A TOUCH DOWN
    (a) When an attacking player sends or carries the ball into the opponents’ in-goal and it becomes dead there, either because a defender grounded it or because it went into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead ball line, a drop-out is awarded. "

In your example the attacking players have sent or carried the ball into the opponent's in goal where it is made dead by the touchdown - 22 drop out is the correct call.

Thanks lads, my own thought at the time was a 22 drop out and despite my protestations to the ref he insisted on a scrum 5 to us, the defending team. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obscure exception to the rule that I wasn't aware of.

Funny thing was, the ref acknowledged they carried it over and he also felt we grounded it.

Thanks lads, my own thought at the time was a 22 drop out and despite my protestations to the ref he insisted on a scrum 5 to us, the defending team. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obscure exception to the rule that I wasn't aware of.

Funny thing was, the ref acknowledged they carried it over and he also felt we grounded it.

There are teams who would prefer a scrum 5 instead as it's better possession and a chance to releive ground, maybe he felt sorry for you all :)

There are teams who would prefer a scrum 5 instead as it's better possession and a chance to releive ground, maybe he felt sorry for you all :)

Really? I would personally always opt for the 22 in that situation. With the scrum you can lose possession, give away a penalty, get blocked down over your own line, etc. The 22 can be hoofed down the pitch to relieve pressure. Or hung up to be competed for outside your 22.

Really? I would personally always opt for the 22 in that situation. With the scrum you can lose possession, give away a penalty, get blocked down over your own line, etc. The 22 can be hoofed down the pitch to relieve pressure. Or hung up to be competed for outside your 22.

Maybe so but consider the options here,
    • Most drop outs get you maybe 15 metres up field and defending again in open play. Not every team has a good kicker to make time and ground; ie into their 22 so it may not be the most attractive.
    • Garryowening a drop out is total madness, something you'd see the U 14's try or maybe a rugby league team on the final tackle as it's a lottery as to what happens.
    • Assuming you will probably give away penalties that easy at the scrum is silly unless you are playing for Scotland :)
    • While a kick from a scrum gives away a line out it at least puts your defence on an even organised footing and it takes pressure off as well. Some teams choose to go with a back row movement to make some space for the clearance, giving a bit more relief and time.
    Woah, I've gone well off topic here :)

• Most drop outs get you maybe 15 metres up field and defending again in open play. Not every team has a good kicker to make time and ground; ie into their 22 so it may not be the most attractive.
    • Garryowening a drop out is total madness, something you'd see the U 14's try or maybe a rugby league team on the final tackle as it's a lottery as to what happens.
    • Assuming you will probably give away penalties that easy at the scrum is silly unless you are playing for Scotland :)
    • While a kick from a scrum gives away a line out it at least puts your defence on an even organised footing and it takes pressure off as well. Some teams choose to go with a back row movement to make some space for the clearance, giving a bit more relief and time.

Munster Northampton game at Thomand.
    Id of screamed bloody murder if the ref gave Munster a defending 5m scrum rather than a 22 as it could very well of been a penalty.

Its not just Scotland!

• Advertisement

A 22 drop out only getting you 15 metres? A 22 can easily get the ball into the opposition half.

I never mentioned garryowening a 22, merely said you could hang one up, like a lot of teams do, and compete to win it in the air.

I didn't assume we'd give away penalties in the scrum but 5ms out from your own line is not the time to take chances on giving one away or the ref's interpretation leading to one against us.

A kick from a 5m scrum rarely goes further than the 22m line, putting the opposition in a much better position than a long 22 drop out landing in open play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

That a scrum 5 is a better platform than a 22 drop out for clearing the ball is madness, surely?

My mother can drop kick a ball farther than 15 metres so that's no argument. The scrum is risky as a penalty can be awarded one way or the other on the flip if a coin and in this instance it seems the ref in question gets his decisions from fortune cookies.

Even if possession was kept the ball would have to be cleared either by the SH or passed back to the OH losing more distance. Can't see any benefit at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I sent off an u-16 player on saturday. noticing now it says on the refs site to fill in a form for a red card 48 hours after the match. Do I have to fill it out for u-16s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

yeah as far as i know you have to

Samich wrote: »
    I sent off an u-16 player on saturday. noticing now it says on the refs site to fill in a form for a red card 48 hours after the match. Do I have to fill it out for u-16s?

E mail to Denis ASAP is the procedure; let him do the rest. If you got your game off a regional rep then a call to them wouldn't be the worst move as well.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    That a scrum 5 is a better platform than a 22 drop out for clearing the ball is madness, surely?

My mother can drop kick a ball farther than 15 metres so that's no argument. The scrum is risky as a penalty can be awarded one way or the other on the flip if a coin and in this instance it seems the ref in question gets his decisions from fortune cookies.

Even if possession was kept the ball would have to be cleared either by the SH or passed back to the OH losing more distance. Can't see any benefit at all.

Lads Lads Lads Lads. I didn't say that is is the better option atall atall atall, just that some teams would take a scrum over a 22 at time and under certain circumstances, it isn't the worst option.

Your Mum has a good boot on here BTW :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Quick law question......

Can't you technically not have a ruck over the tryline as there is no offside in the in-goal area?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Can't you technically not have a ruck over the tryline as there is no offside in the in-goal area?

I think that bit was just ignored based on the understanding that defender ripped the ball and was adjuged to have grounded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Agreed. Given that most teams (given the chance) will kick 5M defensive possession to touch around the 22, a drop out from just inside the 22 is clearly prpeferable.
    My mother can drop kick a ball farther than 15 metres so that's no argument.
    That part of the argument does make some sense. Regardless of how far your mam can kick the ball, unless she kicks short (looking to win it back in the air) the first tackle will tend to take place about 15 meters outside the 22.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You're right - since nobody is obliged to release or stay on their feet, it's not a ruck, it's a pile-up.

Lads Lads Lads Lads. I didn't say that is is the better option atall atall atall, just that some teams would take a scrum over a 22 at time and under certain circumstances, it isn't the worst option.

Your Mum has a good boot on here BTW :)

She has an even better right hook!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rje66

Podge irl
    as there is no offside in the in-goal area?

there is off side ingoal

senario
    red 10 deep in ingoal recieves pass from 9, 10 slices kick and it roll along ground back towards 9 who picks it up. he is off side:eek:.

thus you can be off side in ingoal.

what you probably meant was 'there are no off side lines at piles of bodies (AKA rucks/mauls) that end up in ingoal'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If a player is ahead of the kicker when he kicks and the ball goes backwards from the point where he kicked the ball is it offside

If a player is ahead of the kicker when he kicks and the ball goes backwards from the point where he kicked the ball is it offside
    Are you talking about the kick in the Munster game? If so I'm not quite sure what happened there myself.

Once the ball is kicked the player ahead of the kicker is offside.

He must get put back onside by the ball or the chasers.
    Wasnt paying full attention so not sure what happened fully but if the player failed to retreat he could be pinged.

castie wrote: »
    Once the ball is kicked the player ahead of the kicker is offside.

He must get put back onside by the ball or the chasers.
    Wasnt paying full attention so not sure what happened fully but if the player failed to retreat he could be pinged.
    Well what happened in the Munster game (and it happened so quick I can't remember who did what) was that the ball was kicked and chased by the kicker.

The kicker was ahead of every single Munster player but bizzarly he kicked the ball high into the air and it went backwards and landed about ten metres behind where he ran to. The ref pinged the Munster player who gathered the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Law 11 Definitions "In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball."

If the kicker was ahead of every Munster player when he kicked, none of them could have been off-side from the kick.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Law 11 Definitions "In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball."

If the kicker was ahead of every Munster player when he kicked, none of them could have been off-side from the kick.
    Yes but the fact that the kicker was ahead of the receiver when the ball was caught doesn't that put the receiver onside?

Yes but the fact that the kicker was ahead of the receiver when the ball was caught doesn't that put the receiver onside?

I think the issue is.

Ball is kicked your offside.
    If you make an approach for the ball your interfering with the game.

For example if a garryowen goes up.
    Kicker chases and second row decides to head to where its going to land.

Kicker over takes second row but second row claims the ball.
    Thats a penalty as he didnt retreat.

I would think its the same here.
    Player that gathered was off side and instead of retreating to an on side position after the kick before going for the ball he just went straight for the ball which while offside would also of affected the other teams run so in my reading of it hes interfering with play while being offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What happens if a player kicks the ball over the bar straight out of his hands?

• Advertisement

What happens if a player kicks the ball over the bar straight out of his hands?

Depends where he kicked it from and if it goes dead I think.

Goes Dead.
    Inside the 22 its a 22 drop out to defending team and outside its a scrum back where he kicked it from. (Open to correction on the drop out or if its an option to the defenders)

Not Dead.
    If defender touches down 22 drop out. If not game carries on.

Advertisement