Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rje66

.ak wrote: »
    That's very interesting.

So technically I could stand OUT of touch, and knock the ball back into touch so long as the ball doesn't cross the line.

... Devin Toner should be standing on the line for penalties. :P

Yes .touch laws in union are overly complicated and at times confusing and contradictory. A few simple law changes , player past plane of touch touches ball anywhere its out. Ball past plane of touch its out(EXCEPTwhen wind blows it back in)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

rje66 wrote: »
    Yes .touch laws in union are overly complicated and at times confusing and contradictory. A few simple law changes , player past plane of touch touches ball anywhere its out. Ball past plane of touch its out(EXCEPTwhen wind blows it back in)

are you suggesting that? nah, too much fun watching players jump to try to salvage penalty kicks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Question on the advantage rule:

Scenario 1:
    A player knocks the ball on, the opposition have advantage and from there they go on to score a try.

Scenario 2:
    In a HC match today (Harlequins v Racing I think), an attacker knocked the ball on close to the try line, the ball crossed the line and was touched down by a defender. The ref awarded a 5 metre scrum to the defending team, but why did he not award a 22 drop out? (I was told by a ref that to award a 22 in such an instance was too much of an advantage to give. )

Can anyone explain the logic in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Because there is a specific law that deals with this scenario 22.13, they could if they wanted run the ball but to ground it immediately means they have effectively declined advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

22.13 says (my emphasis)
    If an attacking player commits an infringement in in-goal, for which the sanction is a scrum, for example, a knock-on, play is restarted with a 5-metre scrum. The scrum is formed in line with the place of the infringement and the defending team throws in the ball.

The questioner specifically said that the ball crossed the line after the KO, so therefore 22.13 cannot apply.

• Advertisement

My understanding of the law is that if it ends up in the end goal, then that law applies.

Making a ball dead isn't playing advantage.

Shelflife wrote: »
    My understanding of the law is that if it ends up in the end goal, then that law applies.

Making a ball dead isn't playing advantage.

I quoted what the actual wording of the law says. The law is quite clear, and it cannot apply to infringements that occur anywhere except in the in-goal area.

I don't think it really matters what your "understanding of the law" is!

Well if I'm the ref my "understanding of the law" is the only thing that matters.

6 A 4 a The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match.

To back up my earlier "understanding"

12.1.(c)
    Knock-on or throw forward into the in-goal. If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents’ in-goal and it is made dead there, a scrum is awarded where the knock-on or throw forward happened.

So I was right. 22.13 does NOT apply!

So I was right. 22.13 does NOT apply!

Yes go you !!!

Maybe next time you could actually help answer the question rather than snottily pick holes in the answers of those that are trying to help.

• Advertisement

Maybe next time you could cite the right law!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Well if I'm the ref my "understanding of the law" is the only thing that matters.

6 A 4 a The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match.

To back up my earlier "understanding"

12.1.(c)
    Knock-on or throw forward into the in-goal. If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents’ in-goal and it is made dead there, a scrum is awarded where the knock-on or throw forward happened.

In normal play, grounding the ball "in goal" renders the ball dead. Making a ball dead isn't advantage, as you have said; it needs to be alive for advantage to exist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

12.1.(c)

I am going to refine my original query:
    Previously:"an attacker knocked the ball on close to the try line, the ball crossed the line and was touched down by a defender. The ref awarded a 5 metre scrum to the defending team, but why did he not award a 22 drop out?"

New question:
    An attacker knocked the ball on close to the try line, the ball crossed the line and then went dead. What is the ref's ruling now?? Same as if an attacker kicked the ball dead? 22 drop out?

redmca2 wrote: »
    I am going to refine my original query:
    Previously:"an attacker knocked the ball on close to the try line, the ball crossed the line and was touched down by a defender. The ref awarded a 5 metre scrum to the defending team, but why did he not award a 22 drop out?"

New question:
    An attacker knocked the ball on close to the try line, the ball crossed the line and then went dead. What is the ref's ruling now?? Same as if an attacker kicked the ball dead? 22 drop out?

Law 12 covers the knock on eventuality and 22.7 the kick eventuality.

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=12.1

The IRB's definition here is crucial so let us consider what they say that makes a ball "Dead".

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?domain=2#let8

The ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Posted this in the Munster v Scarlets thread but no one commented. Maybe will have more luck here

Nigel gave a penalty against a Munster player for diving on the ball on the ground as it was "coming out of the ruck, you can't do that". Now my understanding of the situation is that the ball was either in the ruck in which case it wasn't playable or it had left the ruck in which case it was playable.

I've never heard of a third state of the ball 'coming out'

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Posted this in the Munster v Scarlets thread but no one commented. Maybe will have more luck here

Nigel gave a penalty against a Munster player for diving on the ball on the ground as it was "coming out of the ruck, you can't do that". Now my understanding of the situation is that the ball was either in the ruck in which case it wasn't playable or it had left the ruck in which case it was playable.

Didn't see it myself, but AFAIK once the ball pops out of the controlled area of the ruck you can do whatever you want with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

.ak wrote: »
    Didn't see it myself, but AFAIK once the ball pops out of the controlled area of the ruck you can do whatever you want with it.

But when the ref says ball playable after rucking, I've never seen a player dive on it. Then he would just be forming another ruck. No matter where the ball is, it must be still part of the rucking phase.

If you can give the time of when this happened then we can have a look at it. A a general point you cannot play the ball on the ground and you cannot stop a ball from leaving a ruck; maybe this is what Owens the Ref saw happen.

19543261 wrote: »
    But when the ref says ball playable after rucking, I've never seen a player dive on it. Then he would just be forming another ruck. No matter where the ball is, it must be still part of the rucking phase.

"A ruck is formed when at least one player from each side bind onto each other with the ball on the ground between them" So there is no ruck

If you can give the time of when this happened then we can have a look at it. A a general point you cannot play the ball on the ground and you cannot stop a ball from leaving a ruck; maybe this is what Owens the Ref saw happen.

Kicked missed at 31 according to the ultimate rugby app. If you're on TG4.ie it's part 3 at 36 minutes , 28 minutes according to the on screen clock

• Advertisement

16.4.e

A player must not fall on or over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck . Sanction pen kick

Its to stop constant pile ups at the ruck area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

"A ruck is formed when at least one player from each side bind onto each other with the ball on the ground between them" So there is no ruck

Sorry, by forming another ruck I meant it will become one, not it's one itself.

Kicked missed at 31 according to the ultimate rugby app. If you're on TG4.ie it's part 3 at 36 minutes , 28 minutes according to the on screen clock

Just watched it on the player and it's just as Owens called it; the Munster player was pinged for being on the ground and playing the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

chupacabra wrote: »
    haha no, but the prospect of such a thing is quite hilarious :pac:

So what would happen next by the rules if you did? Should we try this next time we have a lead against the All Blacks?

Two things about the lineout:

1. Why don't non-hookers do the odd throw? You could have a flanker etc. with a brilliant throw.

2. The linesman or other official should carry a tape to show where the two teams have to stand and where the hooker has to stand. Ideally, it could be linked to TV technology to ensure correct spacing and throwing. Sometimes, I see a hooker throwing straight, but over his own team because he has lined up almost with them.

Ardillaun wrote: »

1. Why don't non-hookers do the odd throw? You could have a flanker etc. with a brilliant throw.

2. The linesman or other official should carry a tape to show where the two teams have to stand and where the hooker has to stand. Ideally, it could be linked to TV technology to ensure correct spacing and throwing. Sometimes, I see a hooker throwing straight, but over his own team because he has lined up almost with them.

1) They occasionally do but these days it's a given duty for a hooker to throw into the line out. In aulden days, the wingers threw the ball in.

2) It's the referees job to ensure that the line out takes places correctly on or behind the line of touch. Generally a mark is made to show there touch is but it's not always the case that this happens. At a line out, a gap of 1 metre is the minimum required; unless you are close up then it may look like less has been given by each team.

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ardillaun wrote: »

#1 is just a process of elimination.

At times you want to move quickly off your lineout so you don't want to have a back throwing the ball in as they will need to run the ball.

Second row are generally tall so they'll jump.

Props will lift as they are too heavy to be lifted, plus they're strong enough to lift.

Back row will lift too, sometimes they may jump but they'll be there to provide support around the area of the lineout.

Hooker is the only one left. Too small usually to jump. The least useful of the forwards to be on the pitch during a lineout.

For #2 - the gap always closes a bit whenever the players start to move.

awec wrote: »
    #1 is just a process of elimination.

Hooker is the only one left. Too small usually to jump. The least useful of the forwards to be on the pitch during a lineout.

For #2 - the gap always closes a bit whenever the players start to move.

That makes sense alright but what options does a team have when a hooker's throws go off completely? We've seen this with Ireland. Imagine if one of the forwards was a good basketball player and had a real flair for it?

It's more the positioning of the thrower that occasionally annoys me. Shouldn't they be equidistant between the lines, and at least 0.5 m from their own?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sean o Brien has thrown for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭crisco10

16.4.e

A player must not fall on or over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck . Sanction pen kick

Its to stop constant pile ups at the ruck area.

Clancy pinged Tom Denton for this in the Connacht game and I was very confused. Thanks for clearing it up!

Advertisement