Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rje66 wrote: »
    I agree with the dummy but hands on the ball is not a green light for defending players to pile in. Once its off the ground and being delivered, it is then open season for scrum halves:D

even if a SH has hands on the ball at back of ruck and is having a look around for best options he only has 5 seconds , not a lot of time really!!!
    I never said hands on was the ok sign for defenders to jump in. The defenders must wait until the ball is out of the ruck before attempting to tackle ball carrier
    5 seconds is a lot of time at senior level but not much at junior and age grade level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rje66

I never said hands on was the ok sign for defenders to jump in. The defenders must wait until the ball is out of the ruck before attempting to tackle ball carrier
    5 seconds is a lot of time at senior level but not much at junior and age grade level

But you did say they 'must'play the ball once hands are on. Which isn't correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

But you did say they 'must'play the ball once hands are on. Which isn't correct.

It is correct; once the player puts their hands on the ball then s/he must play it.

What was not correct about what I said?

It is correct; once the player puts their hands on the ball then s/he must play it.

It's just that I can't see it anywhere in the law book. Can you direct me to the specific law?.

• Advertisement

They are there just not in a specific point of law itself.

Law 16.4 F covers a player making a dummy pass (Free Kick) while law 16.7 tells us that the ref will call to a team to "use it" within 5 seconds whenever clean possession is afforded to a team at a tick. The ball can only be played when it emerges. Where a player makes contact with fellow players at the ruck other law points such as correct binds or handing on the floor may come into the equation.

If a player or his team is taking the mickey with then Law 10 may come into play; this shouldn't arise if a referee manages his game well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It's just that I can't see it anywhere in the law book. Can you direct me to the specific law?.

16.4.b

Players must not handle the ball in a ruck.

If the player is taking the ball out thats fine, or even if he is pulling the ball out between bodies, but he cant touch the ball and then leave it in the ruck.

As Losty said its a situation that needs to be managed.

Shelflife wrote: »
    16.4.b

Players must not handle the ball in a ruck.

If the player is taking the ball out thats fine, or even if he is pulling the ball out between bodies, but he cant touch the ball and then leave it in the ruck.

As Losty said its a situation that needs to be managed.
    think the scenario we are talking about i s the SH /other player in that position with hands on the ball not player in a ruck.
    Disagree with the 2 law refs above to cover this.
    But do agree it's a management issues if piss taking starts. But the 5 second rule generally eliminates this being an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

im not about to read 135 pages of this so this might already have been asked but ......

at what point can a player leave the back of the line out to attack the out half ,

is it when the scrum half gets the ball or when he passes it or what ?

When the ball leaves the lineout or crosses the line of touch. Effectively when the ball is played off the top to the SH, then you can attck the outhalf position.

• Advertisement

When the ball leaves the lineout or crosses the line of touch. Effectively when the ball is played off the top to the SH, then you can attck the outhalf position.

wouldnt that mean you would be ahead of the ball when the sh passes it ?

wouldnt that mean you would be ahead of the ball when the sh passes it ?

If youre that quick then yes, once you start from an onside position you are fine.

once the ball has left the line of touch then its open play and you can stand where you want.

If youre that quick then yes, once you start from an onside position you are fine.

once the ball has left the line of touch then its open play and you can stand where you want.

fast enough to scare the chocolate out of a slow out half anyway .

cheers

fast enough to scare the chocolate out of a slow out half anyway .

cheers

4 video examples of when the line out is over are included on the link below :)

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=19.9

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If it comes off the shoulder is it a knock on?

matthew8 wrote: »
    Did player make an attempt to catch it?!!!!

Did player make an attempt to catch it?!!!!

Yes.

Technically no. It's hands or arm.
    But .....
    In a scenario where a player trying to field a high ball and it first hits shoulder /upper bicep area and drops between elbows it's hard not to give a KO.
    Whereas a player gets a bullet pass and before he can react it hits his shoulder/upper bicep area and goes forward it's hard to call a KO.
    A bit of 'how the ref sees it and how sympathetic he is' goes into the mix also...

rje66 has it fairly spot on
    Technically no. It's hands or arm.
    But .....
    In a scenario where a player trying to field a high ball and it first hits shoulder /upper bicep area and drops between elbows it's hard not to give a KO.
    Whereas a player gets a bullet pass and before he can react it hits his shoulder/upper bicep area and goes forward it's hard to call a KO.
    A bit of 'how the ref sees it and how sympathetic he is' goes into the mix also...
    Also where referee is positioned in relation to player as what the line of sight is will be a factor and you will see pass very different depending on your angle of seeing the pass..

Question was in relation to La Rochelle-Toulouse. Came off the top off his shoulder as he tried to field a kick (ball bounced up off it, away from him) and a try was scored a few seconds later but was disallowed because the tmo believed it a knock on. Earlier in the half Toulouse were awarded a controversial try after a player rolled forward around 5 metres after going down (not tackled though) without releasing the ball and the try was scored next phase. Sky Sports felt it was a terrible call. Who was right?

• Advertisement

Question was in relation to La Rochelle-Toulouse. Came off the top off his shoulder as he tried to field a kick (ball bounced up off it, away from him) and a try was scored a few seconds later but was disallowed because the tmo believed it a knock on. Earlier in the half Toulouse were awarded a controversial try after a player rolled forward around 5 metres after going down (not tackled though) without releasing the ball and the try was scored next phase. Sky Sports felt it was a terrible call. Who was right?

Just looked at the incidents in question.

The knock forward was okay as he made to play for the ball and knocked it forward off his corner of his arm/shoulder.

The non release was fine as the player was not held in a tackle and entitled to do what he did. Yes he took the piss but he was fine. Next time if he tried that at a breakdown he probably got rucked to hell and back :pac:

I haven't seen the try in question but if a player goes to ground

14.1 Players on the ground
    (a)
    A player with the ball must immediately do one of three things:
    Get up with the ball
    Pass the ball
    Release the ball.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

So if he rolled or crawled or if he looked as if he was trying to grain ground without getting up I would penalise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

This one is inspired by my many sleepless nights since the All Blacks beat us at the death a year ago. (OK I'm obsessional. Forgive me)

Imagine the scenario. A team is leading a test match by 5 points with less than a minute left. They are in possession around midfield and are picking and driving to run the clock down. They know they are vulnerable to the referee dealing harshly with any killing the ball or going off their feet so they decide to vary the play.

The out half attempts a drop at goal from half way. The referee scampering back to adjudicate is satisfied that the ball went between the posts but is unsure whether it cleared the crossbar. He is entitled to ask the TMO to verify.

BUT....

a defender covering back has retrieved the ball before it went dead and has opted not to touch it down for a 22m drop out given the state of the clock but to run it out instead.

Question: does the referee have the right to stop the play AT THIS POINT even though the ball may still be live? Or can he let it run to the next natural stopppage and then go back to see if the ball was indeed over the bar and that three points should be awarded?

To my mind two controversial outcomes could ensue from this. If he stops the play there and then, with the defender trying to run the ball out to start a counter attack, only to find that the ball didn't clear the bar, surely the defending team is put at a disadvantage by having to drop the ball out to the opposition.

Or in an alternative scenario, the ref doesn't immediately go to TMO, the defender who retrieved the ball sets up a counter attack which eventually results in his team scoring a try long after the 80 minutes have expired. Then the ref consults the TMO to find that the original drop goal attempt HAD been successful, so he overturns the try, awards the three points and the match to the other team.

When is the correct time for the ref to got to TMO in this scenario and what should be the protocol with restarting the game at this late stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's interesting because the ref can now go back to any point in the game. It's almost akin to letting the team score a try, but then going back to the TMO to see if a pass in the build up was forward.

However, refs generally use a cop on. Whilst no law actually stipulates how many phases they can go back I've heard refs over the mic refuse players pleas for the TMO stating it happened to far back in the field.

you'd imagine if a player ran the 100m he wouldn't go back to the TMO. Also, a drop goal is an act of scoring points, so again I reckon the ref would go to the TMO straight away if there was any doubt.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it's an unlikely scenario anyway.

For there to be a defender in position to catch a drop goal that lands short and be able to run it back for a try would suggest that the attacking team aren't that far from the try line. So at this distance, you'd imagine the referee and the assistants would have a pretty good view anyway.

If the drop goal was from distance then I'd say it's unlikely that a defender would be in position to catch it if it landed short, and by the time they got back to it the attacking team would be on top of him (or close to it).

The out half attempts a drop at goal from half way. The referee scampering back to adjudicate is satisfied that the ball went between the posts but is unsure whether it cleared the crossbar. He is entitled to ask the TMO to verify.

BUT....

a defender covering back has retrieved the ball before it went dead and has opted not to touch it down for a 22m drop out given the state of the clock but to run it out instead.

Question: does the referee have the right to stop the play AT THIS POINT even though the ball may still be live? Or can he let it run to the next natural stopppage and then go back to see if the ball was indeed over the bar and that three points should be awarded?

When is the correct time for the ref to got to TMO in this scenario and what should be the protocol with restarting the game at this late stage?

A TMO can only be consulted on matters when the ball has been played dead or at a stoppage in play. If the ball is still in play then play must continue. If it means bringing it back then so be it. Bear in mind that the referee can only ask two things in relation to the act of scoring; is it a score, yes or no and if there any reason why he can't award a score. So to answer your question, a ref cannot stop play to check the score.

There was a situation in a Connaught game a few years ago whereby a dubious kick was sent upstairs; I can't find the clip to see what happened then :o

Here you go, looks like the ref is happy to go back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFQ0Qk7vp-s

Clancy handles that brilliantly tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

awec wrote: »
    I think it's an unlikely scenario anyway.

For there to be a defender in position to catch a drop goal that lands short and be able to run it back for a try would suggest that the attacking team aren't that far from the try line. So at this distance, you'd imagine the referee and the assistants would have a pretty good view anyway.

If the drop goal was from distance then I'd say it's unlikely that a defender would be in position to catch it if it landed short, and by the time they got back to it the attacking team would be on top of him (or close to it).

On the contrary.

If it was a long-distance attempt on goal, and it passed near the crossbar it is quite likely that the ball would not carry over the dead ball line and a full back running back to cover might very easily retrieve (the word I used) the ball before it went dead. In that scenario, if he believed a drop goal had not been scored and with time running out, his ONLY option would be to run the ball out and attempt a counter attack.

You say it is unlikely a try could be scored at the other end from such an inauspicious start. How old are you and how long have you been watching this game? Do phrases like "Brilliant! Brilliant! Oh that's brilliant!" from 1973 or the "Try from the end of the world" (l'essai du bout du monde) from the 1990s mean anything to you?

Or you might just consider the All Blacks winning try well into the red time zone emanating from a penalty inside their own half from the match last year.....Arghh!! You've made me think of it again. DAMN YOU!!!!!!

• Advertisement

On the contrary.

If it was a long-distance attempt on goal, and it passed near the crossbar it is quite likely that the ball would not carry over the dead ball line and a full back running back to cover might very easily retrieve (the word I used) the ball before it went dead. In that scenario, if he believed a drop goal had not been scored and with time running out, his ONLY option would be to run the ball out and attempt a counter attack.

The TMO will only come into it if the referee reckons that it may well be a score and he wants to be sure; it is not the other way around. If the ball was definitely not going over then it will be a play on situation and the TMO won't be involved.

As a tactical thing, unless it's the last play or you are playing for somebody like Fiji then most teams would take the comfort and sure yards by grounding and opting for a 22 rather than chancing a break from behind their own goal line.

Advertisement