Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rje66

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah im not sure about what you were pinged for, did the ref tell you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/rules_and_equipment/4204094.stm

this above was what i was referring to.......

law 17.3(a) a player must not try to drag an opponent out of a maul. Don't matter where he is in maul
    .Rugby commentators are part of the reason some people get laws wrong.
    Not sure which law book the authors of that piece were using.....
    ...perhaps Nigel Wrays😉😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

In Sale-Exeter tonight an Exeter player knocked the ball on over Sale's dead ball line and as is the rule Wayne Barnes gave a 5 metre scrum rather than calling it advantage and then advantage over for a 22 drop out. A Sale player questioned the call and Barnes said it's a silly rule but it's the rule. Does anyone know the reason for this rule?

matthew8 wrote: »
    In Sale-Exeter tonight an Exeter player knocked the ball on over Sale's dead ball line and as is the rule Wayne Barnes gave a 5 metre scrum rather than calling it advantage and then advantage over for a 22 drop out. A Sale player questioned the call and Barnes said it's a silly rule but it's the rule. Does anyone know the reason for this rule?
    Most people see it as too much advantage, if a KO occurs else where on the pitch they wouldn't get a similar out come.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Most people see it as too much advantage, if a KO occurs else where on the pitch they wouldn't get a similar out come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Humour me....:o....

Rugby match...Team A and team B
    A player from A kicks the ball into team B half/sideline.. two players A and B run after the ball...
    It bounces infield and goes over the line into touch.......Lineout to B..

Player B runs to collect the ball, picks it up and runs back to where the ball went dead..at this stage player A has run past the spot but is still infield..
    Question...If player B throws the ball to player A and he catches (maybe a natural reaction) the ball...is he entitled to run and score a try if possible....or...is he off-side and as such gives away a penalty to the B team....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

It's rugby law's not rules

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A player from A kicks the ball into team B half/sideline.. two players A and B run after the ball...

Player B runs to collect the ball, picks it up and runs back to where the ball went dead..at this stage player A has run past the spot but is still infield..
    Question...If player B throws the ball to player A and he catches (maybe a natural reaction) the ball...is he entitled to run and score a try if possible....or...is he off-side and as such gives away a penalty to the B team....
    the player A is offside so no try
    finatron wrote: »
    It is but does it really matter?

Mods can we merge this into main laws thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

If i have read this correctly then it a try would be awarded. There is no offside line at a quick lineout.

Nathan White scored a try like this for Connacht against Zebre in Galway at the very start of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

f1dan wrote: »
    If i have read this correctly then it a try would be awarded. There is no offside line at a quick lineout.

Nathan White scored a try like this for Connacht against Zebre in Galway at the very start of last season.

See 37 seconds in

f1dan wrote: »

Sorted...tanx for clearing that up....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

finatron wrote: »

Actually, it's Laws, not law's or rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Are Player A and Player B both on the same team?
    Or is one of them on Team A and one on Team B?
    The OP's question is confusingly worded in this respect.

Note that in the Connacht/Zebre example shown, the Connacht player intercepted a quick throw in by Zebre. He didn't catch a quick throw in from his own side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

My first reading is that yes the try should be awarded. Guess the clip posted there proves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Is player A outside the 5?

Is player A outside the 5?

Yes....but i dont get why the A player isnt ajudged offside.......thems the rules i guess..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes....but i dont get why the A player isnt ajudged offside.......thems the rules i guess..

From my reading of law 19.2
    There is no offside line from a quick throw in, but there is from a set line out.

From my reading of law 19.2
    There is no offside line from a quick throw in, but there is from a set line out.

My understanding is the opposition player must be outside the 5 even if it's a quick line out. I know you must be outside the 5 to mark the line out.

My understanding is the opposition player must be outside the 5 even if it's a quick line out. I know you must be outside the 5 to mark the line out.

Ah yes, but that's not offside.

That's to stop a player blocking the thrower.

[quote="LeinsterDub;93606265" to mark the line out.[/quote]

I'm curious about this piece, what does it mean or better still give an example.
    Ta

rje66 wrote: »
    I'm curious about this piece, what does it mean or better still give an example.
    Ta

When the ball goes out a player will chase it up and run pass the mark where the line is to happen to prevent a quick line out . After the mark happens a line out proper must be formed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

When the ball goes out a player will chase it up and run pass the mark where the line is to happen to prevent a quick line out . After the mark happens a line out proper must be formed

That wont legally stop a quick lineout, nothing stopping a player taking a QTI even if there is a player there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Shelflife wrote: »
    That wont legally stop a quick lineout, nothing stopping a player taking a QTI even if there is a player there.

That is true. A lineout has to be "formed" to prevent a quick throw. I believe this used to be taken as 2(?) players from each side at the mark of the lineout, but has always been open to interpretation from the ref and differs wildly from ref to ref and situation to situation

dub_skav wrote: »
    That is true. A lineout has to be "formed" to prevent a quick throw. I believe this used to be taken as 2(?) players from each side at the mark of the lineout, but has always been open to interpretation from the ref and differs wildly from ref to ref and situation to situation
    You need at least two from each team to form a lineout. You are correct on how it is interpretation from the referee and how it differs from ref to ref and situation to situation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Are the project player laws changing? I missed the opening of the rte commentary today and a friend of mine said George Hook (not the greatest source of information I know) that they were changing next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Are the project player laws changing? I missed the opening of the rte commentary today and a friend of mine said George Hook (not the greatest source of information I know) that they were changing next year.

They aren't in the Law book, man. Maybe ask on the forum in another thread?

To the refs

Please explain the vunipola try and the various different outcomes that could have been considered.

To the refs

Please explain the vunipola try and the various different outcomes that could have been considered.

Great question. I have seen it too many times and still think that 9/10 referees don't give a try there.

To the refs

Will do so tomorrow. Could you put up a link in this thread as havent seen the try.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Watching a Pro12 match a few weeks ago the 10 went of for a blood injury (could have been a concussion assessment) and was replaced from the bench. An opportunity came up to take the kick and the ref would not allow the temp sub to take the kick until the substitution was final. Ref said "that's the rules". Commentary was that this was as a consequence of bloodgate. Think the full back ended up taking the kick.

Yesterday Madigan was on while Sexton was repaired and took and scored a penalty and then went off again. No mention of the above.

Have I completely mis-remembered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Watching a Pro12 match a few weeks ago the 10 went of for a blood injury (could have been a concussion assessment) and was replaced from the bench. An opportunity came up to take a kick and the ref would not allow the temp sub to take the kick until the substitution was final. Ref said "that's the rules". Commentary was that this was as a consequence of bloodgate. Think the full back ended up taking the kick.

Yesterday Madigan was on while Sexton was repaired and took and scored a penalty and then went off again. No mention of the above.

Have I completely mis-remembered?

Advertisement