Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty PS3 tesco

Options
  • 24-03-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Brought my playstation 3 into tesco last week as it was not reading CDs. Talked to the manager and he said they had no more in stock so he would have to send mine away for repair but iv never heard of tesco doing this(worked there for a while) and has this happened to anyone else and how long will it take to get back to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

your entitled to a full refund, take back the cash and head down to game, xtra vision and get a new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

He is entitled to first a Repair if that not possible then a replacement and finally a refund.
    your entitled to a full refund, take back the cash and head down to game, xtra vision and get a new one...

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    He is entitled to first a Repair

in the first 7 days, i'd be looking for my money back not a repair..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 welshy2009

well tesco has it now since last week so cant get it back for a refund, dreading that im gonna have to wait weeks for something to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

in the first 7 days, i'd be looking for my money back not a repair..

you might be looking for your money back but there is no law saying you're entitled to it back. Most shops follow a policy like that but they're not required to

• Advertisement

was just thinking there they took the receipt with the playstation which will prole make it harder to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Call in a and get your receipt as soon as possible, let them take a copy of it if they want but get your receipt!

Yes I agree within a week, if it's not customer damage, then a refund.

how do you mean with the 7 days thing?, the ps3 is about 9 months old so still under warrenty.

welshy2009 wrote: »
    how do you mean with the 7 days thing?, the ps3 is about 9 months old so still under warrenty.

you bought a PS3 in tesco a week ago that's 9mts old:confused:

Brought my playstation 3 into tesco last week as it was not reading CDs. Talked to the manager and he said they had no more in stock so he would have to send mine away for repair but iv never heard of tesco doing this(worked there for a while) and has this happened to anyone else and how long will it take to get back to me?

Oops I read it wrong too, He BROUGHT his PS3 into Tesco.

OK they are going to replace it for you thats fair enough.

Still get your receipt.
    You are in the best position possible, if you dealt with the manufacturer you would be getting a refurb, but if you wait and get this replacement, your serial no. will still be valid for warranty repair well past the original PS3 you bought!

• Advertisement

ya i was thinking that alright, could be a good thing. But i just know its gonna take ages as i know there not very dependable and i bet the damn thing is still lying in some corner of the store.

yep just as i said, my buddy wa sin tesco yesterday and my playstation 3 was in the same place i left it the day i brough it back, god there useless!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Go back in, and point out to the manager that your PS3 is still in the same place, over a week later. At that point, I'd be asking for a replacement or refund, as they obviously aren't interested in repairing it. Don't leave until you get satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

As it's an electrical item, are you not entitled to your money back, if faulty within 28 days of purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Just curious, which Tesco branch was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

benifa wrote: »
    As it's an electrical item, are you not entitled to your money back, if faulty within 28 days of purchase?

Its 9 months old. I read it wrong too.

From my knowledge of Sony and PS2 repairs, they don't repair your console but send a refurb. So if Tesco applied to Sony correctly, they send a refurb to them in a box and after you receive your refurb they send back the faulty unit in this box to Sony.

Might have changed for PS3 but i'm pretty sure a lad on the playstation forum got a different model of ps3 from sony when he applied for a repair. Think his faulty one had no PS2 back compat but the replacement did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

jor el wrote: »
    Go back in, and point out to the manager that your PS3 is still in the same place, over a week later. At that point, I'd be asking for a replacement or refund, as they obviously aren't interested in repairing it. Don't leave until you get satisfaction.

agree totally, zero effort is being made to get it repaired, and they have already admitted that they don't have a replacement, you're in a very strong position to push for a refund

it was in wilton tesco cork. I think they were trying to ring me the other day so il call in soon and have a word with the manager again about it, would love to get a refund cause i know i could get it cheaper online again.

k went into them today and the manager said they cant do anything without the receipt and i was like i gave you the receipt so basically they lost the bloody thing, for god sake like!!! so they said they have to find out if they can take it back without the receipt and they will get back to me. but they also said they could just give me a replacement but they dont have them in stock. I then asked if i could get one from another store and they said no has to be from there tesco store. such annoying like!!

I don't know if I'll be any help to you, but I might be.

Two questions:
    1) What payment method did you use?
    2) In the Cork branch, is there an electrical desk at which you have to pay?
    3) Did you purchase anything else in the exact same transation?

• Advertisement

used cash to pay for it,bought a game with it and paid at the customer service desk in tesco wilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Hi

I had the same problem with my ps3, after a year it just stopped reading discs. Its a problem with the blue ray lasers. Sony will change it for you for free so ring them! I got mine in Harvey Normans and although Harvey Norman said there was no chance of me getting it changed Sony sorted it out and I had a new one within 2 weeks. Had to bring the faulty one up and just change it for the new one in Harvey Normans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I only done this last month so you will get it changed, the fault was Sony's fault and they will change it

ya but tesco said they dont deal with sont direct. Il just wait to see what they say next week, hopefully some good news, they know it was them that lost the receipt anyway, they were blaming me first!!

used cash to pay for it,bought a game with it and paid at the customer service desk in tesco wilton.

Tell them that you want them to go into their offices, go onto the computer and look through the transactions for the date you bought it (hopefully you know it) for a transaction containing the PS3 and the game (tell them the name of it) that was paid for at the customer service desk with cash (if you know how much you tendered, great). It's quite unlikely that there'd be more than one transaction with the exact same details on the same day at the same till. If you could describe the person who served you, they can look up who it was and see that it matches your description if they find your transaction. All going well, just get them to print out that receipt, and hey-presto, you've got your receipt back.

I know they could argue that wasn't your transaction, but it's worth a try.

well the receipt thing is ok, that part dosent matter, they know they lost it, i just really want to get it back asap and i just dont understand what the hell there doing.

just an update, still bloody waiting. Went in last Tuesday and manager said its still getting repaired, he said he would ring them the next day and ring me asap. but no couldn't even do that much, haven't heard anything more yet. Its just getting ridiculous now like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

hi there.
    my brother is havin awful trouble with his playstation too. he bought the first one in xtravision around xmas time,it broke shortly after(lazers went or something), brought it back to shop,sony sent him back out a refurb one.

now this one has broken again,same problem i think. so he went back to xrtavision again,but this time he cant find his receipt. he has box and all just cant find receipt. they said they couldnt do anything about it because he has no receipt so they cant take it back..

i think this is a bit harsh as he lives locally and they know him from coming in and out renting games etc,plus i taught if something was faulty you didint really need a receipt!! maybe im wrong,i dunno!!

plus i know someone who works in xtravision and she said that they get loads of the ps3's comin back,so obvisouly there is a fault in the manufacturing , which should also be taken into account with him trying to bring it back.

so basically my bro is pissed off because he is stuck with this ps3 that he spent ALOT of money on and they wont do anything about it. :(

Did he have his receipt the 1st time he sent it back?

I presume he paid with cash so no statement he can used.

If you can't get anywhere with xtra vision you can always send it to sony direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

ya he had his receipt first time he went back with it,but he cant find it now.they also said something about chargin him a 180euro to do something with it,to get it fixed or something.

not quite sure about that. but that seems rediculous,havin to pay them more money to fix it. i think he rang up sony about it,and they told him to go back to the store he bought it from and they will deal with it there.and yes he paid by cash so he cant even look up a bank statement as proof so its a bit annoying.
    im not sure what he is going doing about it now. his friend got a ps3 aswell and thats gone bust too!! dont think hes gettin very far with it either.

Advertisement