Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty PS3 tesco

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 welshy2009

ya sony offer that 180 euro thing. Its basically for customers whos ps3's goes bust when its out of warranty and they give you a replacement ps3, refurbished one and they think of you as an out of warranty customer if you dont have your receipt. Stupid really,

If ya get desperate you should say to xtravision that they took the receipt of you for the exchange the first time and you got no new receipt as it was a straight exchange.

My buddy did that in xtravision in a similar situation with a DVD player. He kept claiming how he never taught it would go bust again and how he was told it shouldnt happen again. And it Worked cause it sounded convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is it a year since he purchases the original PS3?

Are xtravision saying the year is up and even if he had a receipt, it would be no good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Not unless a new PS3 is only expected to last 12 months, warrenty is a tricky thing to pin down.

MC

ok went back in today and got what seems like another stupid story from the hardware manager. Apparently tesco dont deal with sony instead some other corwd and they wont post it back to tesco because its not in bulk,so he explained that i wont see the playstation until these guys get more faulty playstations to repair so they can send them back in bulk!! what could i say like, so fustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

E-mail Tesco customer service.
    The complaint will be passed to the store manager. If you case is as you have said here you sholud be sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

sony supply any retail store who sells their machines with refurb models so that when someone comes in with a genuine fault and has been deemed faulty by a sony helpline staff member that you can then go in and swap it in the store where you first bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Antigone05 wrote: »
    sony supply any retail store who sells their machines with refurb models so that when someone comes in with a genuine fault and has been deemed faulty by a sony helpline staff member that you can then go in and swap it in the store where you first bought it.

That's not true. I've worked in 2 different companies that sold PS3s. They never had these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

welshy2009 wrote: »
    ok went back in today and got what seems like another stupid story from the hardware manager. Apparently tesco dont deal with sony instead some other corwd and they wont post it back to tesco because its not in bulk,so he explained that i wont see the playstation until these guys get more faulty playstations to repair so they can send them back in bulk!! what could i say like, so fustrating!!
    tell the manager in tesco's (not the hardware manager) that you are taking the matter to the small claims court as it has gone on far beyond a reasonable time and any court would agree. then say you will be seeking a refund now instead of the repair/replacement you were prepared to accept before they dragged their feet.

often is stores like tesco's ordinary staff are given titles such as hardware manager and told to deal with customers and make them think action is being taken when in fact very little or nothing is being done!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

A family member has just got involved in this whole faulty PS3 debacle.
    They bought it in Xtravision and it became faulty after 15 months. Xtravision say it will cost €160 to have it fixed by Sony.

But after paying €600 locally for the PS3, and since reading of so many other faulty PS3s just outside the 12 month warranty, surely the PS3s are poorly designed if they are failing so soon and are not fit for purpose?

For €600 (plus all the games and accessories bought since) surely the life of a PS3 should be more than 15 months?

It is a scandal. :mad:

the sony warranty is 12 months but this has nothing to do with your statutory rights which say the product should last a resonable time given its purpose cost quality etc and 12/15 months is not a reasonable time for the ps3 to last.

you should also deal only with xtravision as they are the only people obliged to deal with you and the only ones obliged to provide after sales care! sony do offer a service of replacing units after 12 months but as stated they charge €160 for this but you do not have to accept this as you can deal with extravision and the smal claims court!

a ps3 should last just as long as most other large electronic items such as televisions stereos etc if they do not last a reasonable time through design or fault you are entitled to redress which can be repair replace or refund.

• Advertisement

yai agree who want to spend that kind of money on something thats gonna become faulty in under a year or 2, just to update on my situation. Manager rang me the other day saying that my PlayStation was available to pick up from them.
    So i was delighted taught it would be all cleared up.
    Went to collect it and brought it home and opened it. Was a refubished one looked spotless, but First of all they never gave me back my power cable so igot my buddies one to turn it on. But then when i set it up it wouldnt take the CD i put in, so eventually it took it but still wouldnt work and the cd is stuck in there now, proble never see that game again!
    Like i wasnt too bother about the power cable, said i would buy a new one to save me dealing with them again.
    So brough it down to tesco again, but the manager was in a meeting so i left it there and told the guy at the desk to tell him the story.
    But went in again today and he had the day off but i saw the playstation still behind the counter not touched, since bloody wednesday last week like.
    Looks like im gonna be waiting another 2 months for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Our PS3 broke recently, it stopped reading disks. It was out of warranty by about 5 months. I called up the PS3 helpline and was told it was out of warranty. I politely said I didn't think that was good enough, 12 months is a very short time for such an expensive machine, etc. They said it'd be passed on to a supervisor. I got an email the nexy day saying that would replace it with a refurb. It was picked up by courier and a new one came back 2 or 3 days later. I was very happy.

Just to say that Sony aren't always bad!

really!! and you didnt have to pay the 160 euro for the refurbed one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I had to pay 15.40 to cover postage and send a photocopy of the receipt. That was it. Very good service I have to say.

Pythia wrote: »
    I had to pay 15.40 to cover postage and send a photocopy of the receipt. That was it. Very good service I have to say.
    they offered a service but imo not a very good or even fair service! and it is not a great product if it wont last 15 months without needing to be replaced wth a refurbished model! are they making these ps3's in a dirty factory or where? it seems there are a lot of people having trouble with the ps3 and also the x-box.
    they should last a reasonable time like 3-4 years not just past sony's warranty period!

oh found that its a company call CGS that do the technical support for tescos playstations and not sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the sony warranty is 12 months but this has nothing to do with your statutory rights which say the product should last a resonable time given its purpose cost quality etc and 12/15 months is not a reasonable time for the ps3 to last.

you should also deal only with xtravision as they are the only people obliged to deal with you and the only ones obliged to provide after sales care! sony do offer a service of replacing units after 12 months but as stated they charge €160 for this but you do not have to accept this as you can deal with extravision and the smal claims court!

a ps3 should last just as long as most other large electronic items such as televisions stereos etc if they do not last a reasonable time through design or fault you are entitled to redress which can be repair replace or refund.

Not quite.. Sony give a warranty of 12 months because that is what in their experience is considered to be a 'reasonable period' under the statutes. If it were to be proven (in court, not someone's opinion) that a 'reasonable period' was longer than 12 months for a PS3, then Sony would have to change the warranty in order to comply with the statute. One determines the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

"Sony give a warranty of 12 months because that is what in their experience is considered to be a 'reasonable period' under the statutes"

Totally unrelated. Reasonable period is not quantified by statutes or the manufacturer. It's open to interpretation, and the judge is the only person who can decide, based on the evidence presented to him/her, what a reasonable period means exactly. e.g. A TV might have a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer but in a SCC case a judge may rule that the TV is expected to last more than 1 year.

"If it were to be proven (in court, not someone's opinion) that a 'reasonable period' was longer than 12 months for a PS3, then Sony would have to change the warranty in order to comply with the statute. One determines the other"

Again not true. Judges do not set or force companies to set warranty periods. Neither do statutes. The warranty companies offer, and what a judge determines to be a reasonable period under consumer law are completley unrelated. One does not determine the other as you suggest. Consumer law has nothing to do with manufacturers warranty. And how could it even ? The statute does not specify exactly what a reasonable period is. It's open to interpretation by judges as I said above. And even then when a judge decided item X should last Y no. of years, the judge it not setting a precedent as each case will be decided on it's own merits. The only time frame mentioned in actual law that is related to this is covered by the statute of limitations which, depending on the goods, allow redress by the customer for a period of up to 6 years after they take the goods into their possession. But ultimately a judge decides what a reasonable period is.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Hi,

Bought a PS3 last December in Gamestop, and it died last month.
    Brought it back to the shop with the receipt and it was swapped for a brand new one straight out of the box, no quibbles or arguements.

Same thing with my son's DS. Packed up after a few months, replaced without any trouble at all.

That, IMHO is how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Brought my playstation 3 into tesco last week as it was not reading CDs. Talked to the manager and he said they had no more in stock so he would have to send mine away for repair but iv never heard of tesco doing this(worked there for a while) and has this happened to anyone else and how long will it take to get back to me?

You're very patient.

I had a problem with Sony in Dublin, got the run around, I then threatened the press etc on them via e-mail to Sony UK, within 10 minutes got a mail back from Sony UK, problem was sorted out directly.

Take it to the top, threaten Joe etc and see do they take notice.

• Advertisement

ya i wish i was dealing with sony, but tesco dont deal with sony direct, i emailed there customer service about it and they said

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. If you return the product to the store with your receipt, my colleagues will contact a company called CGS, who deal with technical support for our Playstaion products.

so will be the last time i buy any electrical products off them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

ya i wish i was dealing with sony, but tesco dont deal with sony direct, i emailed there customer service about it and they said

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. If you return the product to the store with your receipt, my colleagues will contact a company called CGS, who deal with technical support for our Playstaion products.

so will be the last time i buy any electrical products off them again.

So whats your next move 2 months on ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Antigone05 wrote: »

They don't. they use a Logistics company in Santry who seem to have a stock of refurbs to send out again when they have been checked. I think this problem is becoming extremely widespread, but Sony are playing it cute. If they replace them in the US, there won't be a Class Action lawsuit, and they would then have to introduce a longer warranty, a la XBox. If enough people brought them to the small claims court they wouldn't be lon sorting it out either.

OP - Tell Tesco you have all the information written down, and that you will be presenting it to the small claims court. Their arrangement with Sony is none of your concern and you are entitled to a refund or brand new replacement. Small claims court only costs you €15, but they'll never let it go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

My ps3 stopped reading discs a week after the warranty expired. Contacted Gamestop and wouldnt do anything for me. Contacted Sony customer service and had a refurbished one within a week. Had to pay 15.40 for delivery.

Advertisement