Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Away.....

Options
  • 24-03-2009 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi guys, got the job at the weekend of organising a weekend in May down to Limerick city. (4 lads)

I would be very grateful if ye could recommend some decent places to stay in city centre and name the hot spots for good drinking & good looking women:) I stayed in Kilmurray Lodge a few years back but it is too far away from th lime light.....

Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

My brother-in-law was down from Dublin for the weekend.
    He was telling me that one of his colleagues stayed at the Absolute Hotel recently and said it was the best place he stayed at in years. Value for money, great room, great food. Apparently he is booked in there again for a stay in a couple of weeks time.

Don't know myself what it is like to stay there but this is a report I have heard from an outsider. It's quite central too, you could walk back there after a night on the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have a similar story to the poster before me. Friends down from Dublin, but stayed in the George Hotel on O'Connell Street. Cannot really get a more central location. Within walking distance to grub, pubs, and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I know people that have stayed in limerick from dublin and dundalk and they rated the Absolute hotel very highly and its right close to nightlife

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

basically, u have ur advice above. absolute or the george. george is more central and the rooms are amazing. havent seen the absolute rooms. As for nightlife, what age group, music tastes etc? Probably recommend nancy blakes to start regardless, but let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

itsonlyme wrote: »
    hi guys, got the job at the weekend of organising a weekend in May down to Limerick city. (4 lads)

I would be very grateful if ye could recommend some decent places to stay in city centre and name the hot spots for good drinking & good looking women:) I stayed in Kilmurray Lodge a few years back but it is too far away from th lime light.....

Thanks for all your help.

im personally a big fan of Nancy's and have been for years. Good crowd, best looking birds and right near the main clubs too. Beforehand, you could grab a nice indian in Copper and Spice which is around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

well nancy's def one of the best for women. also a place called micky martins its in an alley way cross around the corner from xtra vision on thomas street.

a cheap otion for accom would be the old quarter lodge which is in the thick of everything. i forget how much it is but if its just guys looking for a place to sleep if they dont get lucky:) then this is a good place to check out.

also the may bank holiday weekend there is a music festival on in dolans it was about 25 quid a day for the gigs. it was class last year. keep an eye out if this is the weekend ur comin because the birds will def be here 2.

happy hunting lads

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I never see the facination with Nancy's at the weekend to be honest, the place is crowed to the point where people are queuing outside to be left in as soon as someone else comes out. Getting drink from the bar without spilling half it on the way back, going to and fron the small toilets, etc are tricky tasks when trying to fight your way through the crowds. More hassel than it is worth imo.

Always seen it as the place to be seen in rather than the place to be in to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Yet another thread destined to descend into the nancy's is great/ nancy's is sh*t arguement.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I never see the facination with Nancy's at the weekend to be honest, the place is crowed to the point where people are queuing outside to be left in as soon as someone else comes out. Getting drink from the bar without spilling half it on the way back, going to and fron the small toilets, etc are tricky tasks when trying to fight your way through the crowds. More hassel than it is worth imo.

Always seen it as the place to be seen in rather than the place to be in to be honest.

ok heres the low down as far as im concerned. we wont start the nancys great/crap debate again:)

best places for pints are the "old bars" such as
    - all the flannery bars except the one beside d'icon
    - round house, moose, charlie st georges, tom collins's etc those kinda bars.

if you want a good pint in the "young bars"
    - the bently on oconnel street
    - mojos has changed its name and ownership i think its opened again if not it will be soon. they use to have a good pint.
    - still house
    - micky martins
    - costelloes (even doh some people dont agree. ive never had a bad pint)

(havent tried au bars or the old quarter but i here mixed things)

all above have a good decent pint. there are others but thats wat comes to mind in city center.

if your after the laddies you might have to stick to the bottle or the vodkas or you have a bad pint.

- nancys
    - smiths/icon
    - flannerys beside d'icon
    - trinity rooms
    all club bars really

dont get me wrong sometimes you do get the suprise good pint in these kinda places and when you do its the best pint youll ever drink:)

i go to all these places i dont have a prefernce but if the pint is bad just drink bottles or vodka.

if you dont like very busy bars then best to avoid on a saturday night
    nancys
    smiths
    au bars
    micky martins
    flannerys beside icon
    molly malones
    trinity rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Frequently stay in the George when in Limerick for the weekend, or just a night out, the location is excellent - walking distance to pretty much everywhere, so no need for waiting for taxis. Rooms are nice, nice bar and good food.
    Car park on the next block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Paulegend wrote: »
    - round house, moose, charlie st georges, tom collins's etc those kinda bars.

The pint might be Ok but the clientelle are similar to the Gent who shot himself last week (except Tom Collins) plenty of Bud's with Celtic Tops wearing the National Dress of Ireland "The Tracksuit". Why you would want to send visitors to our City to these place just baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I dont think the OP is coming back. :rolleyes:

knockon wrote: »
    The pint might be Ok but the clientelle are similar to the Gent who shot himself last week (except Tom Collins) plenty of Bud's with Celtic Tops wearing the National Dress of Ireland "The Tracksuit". Why you would want to send visitors to our City to these place just baffles me.

no man dont get me wrong i def agree that the clientel aint the best. but we do live in limerick and they are everywhere. while the people that go to these places(i drink in the round and moose and i am far from "those" people) some arent the best but they do keep to themselves and in fairness there is never trouble. just one incident very much publisised. i can tell you worse stories about alot of the good bars in town. at least i didnt mention the steering wheel or the galvone or spotted dog:)

but to an extent i agree.

to kinda drift where does everyone think the best bar is(drink and social atmosphere)

For me, its Nancys (front bar)

yea i actually drink there alot. funny enough going tonight:) always on bottles there doh

Front bar is ok for pints IMO

actually dont think ive tried a pint in the front. had few from the back loads of times and kind turned me off pints there. still quality bar doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

hey talk about been spoilt for choice :) at least we have a few name to go on. Thanx a mill for the advice.

Advertisement