Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 strobes and a phoneix park c and c

• 24-03-2009 11:52pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

3382848638_b692206a03.jpg

3382854806_4d693f9fc2.jpg

any c and appriciated, good and preferably bad :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

First Picture, Lovely idea but too balanced light - her forehead is washed out. no shadow

Second picture: far better in fact IMHO her terrible shapeless blue jacket and it's out of place, colour wise with the hat and boots. I suppose I am saying the colour is the most distracting part.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Simplicius wrote: »
    First Picture, Lovely idea but too balanced light - her forehead is washed out. no shadow

Second picture: far better in fact IMHO her terrible shapeless blue jacket and it's out of place, colour wise with the hat and boots. I suppose I am saying the colour is the most distracting part.

you think the first would look better with more detail in the face?, and yes i'm well aware of the faulting of modelling with a fleece, but its fairly nippy out... i wasnt gonna say 'freeze' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The lighting dosn't do anything for the images, I'm afraid, it'd be more suited to using 1-3 reflectors to get rid of the shadows, rather than using lights to put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

i love the second one ,
    the trees in the background are cool !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I really don't think you needed 3 lights for this. I just got finished watching Zack Arias' OneLight Workshop recently and it's really opened my eyes to what can be done with just one off camera strobe and a few modifiers.

• Advertisement

Agreed - One light and reflector could have worked wonders here even. Gotten some great contrast between for and background.

It moreso seems that 3 lights were availible so they were used!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

They both look quite professional. Lighting ever so slightly unnatural around the face but other than that they could be straight out of a mail order catalogue! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I love the angles and positioning of both but the colour on the first one seems to me to be a bit off, maybe needs to be a bit warmer, then again that could be my scree. It does seem overly bright, the second one I think would be more atmospherci with less light also but positioning looks great.

Have to agree about the jacket though, I am not a fan of blue and dont find it to be a photogenic colour at all. I'd rather reds or greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

In the first shot the model looks very attractive, she has a good pose and brilliant eye contact. However the flash seems overexposed. I see on flicker you say they were both at 1/2 power I would have tried them at 1/4 or even 1/8. Or possibly just pull them back a few feet, this would also help darken the tree trunk behind her. I probably would have asked her to take the chain off as well as the light bouncing off it is a bit distracting.

In the second shot again the model is great and you capture a good pose. But I have a few more serious issues with it then the first picture.
    The first is the background it is to distracting, either change the aperture to blur it out or drop the ambient 1-2 stops to darken it.

The shadows on her face look odd especially the one from her nose. I would have used the grass light as a second face light with a large defuser (sofbox or shoot through) on the left side of her face to get rid of the shadows. Maybe turn her head a smidgen to the left so as to reduce the nose shadow. Maybe put a 1/4 cto gel on the light on her face (right side) to warm her skin up a bit, give it the impression of a winter sunset.

Third her legs just sort of blend into the tree. There is no separation there. I think I would have put the tree light on the models right and behind her slightly to try use it as a rim light to separate her legs and the tree.

Other ways I would have tried myself would be to move her out from the tree a couple of feet and put the light between her and it. Then use the other 2 lights to cross light her. I would also try cross light her and put the third in front, snoted and pointed just at her face. Or maybe with a very narrow grid and pointed at her face.

Or use 2 of the lights with shoot through umbrella's as a type of clam shell and the third as a rim light from behind just to separate her and the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

3383939444_50eeef1663.jpg

one more to add fromt he shoot

ttcomet wrote: »
    In the first shot the model looks very attractive, she has a good pose and brilliant eye contact. However the flash seems overexposed.
    her make up wasnt the may west and i've gotten into a habit of compensating by blowing out the detailt il it clears up, what other options of i have really? healing and blurring can look just as bad imo

her make up wasnt the may west and i've gotten into a habit of compensating by blowing out the detailt il it clears up, what other options of i have really? healing and blurring can look just as bad imo

Overexposure should never be a compensation for skin/makeup - Use softer light, coupled with healing - It can look bad if badly done, but learning how to do it right is an essential skill if your interested in this side of photography, which you appear to be. Or just hire a PS whizz to do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Love the newest pic.

For bad skin I always use skin smoothing in corel paint shop, best tool ever next to the thinify, I swear I dont use that on myself.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Overexposure should never be a compensation for skin/makeup - Use softer light, coupled with healing - It can look bad if badly done, but learning how to do it right is an essential skill if your interested in this side of photography, which you appear to be. Or just hire a PS whizz to do it for you.

know of anmy decent tutorials to use healing... i'm woeful at it on a large scale clean up.

Advertisement