Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home NAS and Net Plugs

Options
  • 25-03-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am looking for some advice regarding setting up a NAS at home.

My house was recently burgled and the sods that did it took the main laptop and the external drive that I used to back all the important information to (family photos of kids gone just like that)

I wan to hook up a nas in the house, nothing too complicated but a dedicated unit. I have a few scenario's that I am looking at and would greatly appreciate advice on what the best way to go about it would be.

Option 1
    Attach a basic NAS to the home router

Option 2
    Replace the home router with one that has a USB port and simply attach a external drive to this.

Option 3
    And this is the one that I would be suspect about. I use powerline net plugs at home for one of my pc's can I connect this to a NAS device and place it in a secure location around the house or does it need to be actually connected to the Router ?

Option 4
    Is there a way to make my HTPC (power net plugged to router) the NAS device. it runs vista home premium and has oddles of disk space.

I am pretty new to all this so apologies if my thoughts on this are off the wall all comments appreciated. If this is the wrong place to post this I would be greatful if it was moved to a more appriopriate section.

Cheers

Cionn

Advertisement