Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent Browne Tue 24th - Opposition Waffle

Options
  • 25-03-2009 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Tune in now, this is ridiculous!

Absolutely no specifics from FG, Labour or Sinn Fein!! They're blaming it on the fact that they've no exchequer figures to quote when everyone can tell ya it's over €5bn deficit!!

Is there anyone who can get us out of this!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

sinn fein is after taken a serious hit vincent browne gave it to them left right and center, their plan was to rob a few banks and give the money to the government ,,,,,,,,,it worked before on similar lines for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

FF have all the numbers and they can't tell us what they'll do yet, they're still discussing it.

Ridiculous conversation, Vincent wants a budget presented there and then.

yes he does but sinn fein have forgotten that the banks are empty, so there is no point in robbing them.:o

yes he does but sinn fein have forgotten that the banks are empty, so there is no point in robbing them.:o

I think you'll find it's FF and their PD friends who've stolen all the money from the banks.

You could always rob more money with a suit and a briefcase than you could with a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

dresden8 wrote: »
    FF have all the numbers and they can't tell us what they'll do yet, they're still discussing it.

Ridiculous conversation, Vincent wants a budget presented there and then.

He does not want a budget there and then, he wants the opposition to give some specifics rather constantly complaining about everything. Presumably if they complain and point out what's wrong, they can point out how to fix it. But Labour and Sinn Fein are cowardly avoiding any questions on specifics. Other than to close the tax shelters, Labour has not pointed out one thing they would do to rectify the deficit, not one thing. Would they increase income tax, excise duties, corporation tax, cancel Metro North - no nothing, nothing at all from them. They're a disgrace to Irish politics.

In fairness to Fine Gael they have made some proposals, but Labour are just pitiful.

• Advertisement

of course there are several ways to skin a cat , like two transit vans and the bankers family is another way of getting 25m , but anyway it is now clear from that programme that we really dont have any opposition to worry about, one crowd wants to bankrupt us by spending their way out of it and the recession (labour) and the other wants to stop spending and starve everyone (fianna geal) so all thats left to do is go with the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Thankfully, we have a purposeful, clearminded Government in place, with Ministers who are completely on top of their briefs and are giving us great leadership and vision throughout this crisis. Its probably a good thing that all we have to be worried about is Opposition Waffle in the face of VBs badgering...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

getcover wrote: »
    Thankfully, we have a purposeful, clearminded Government in place, with Ministers who are completely on top of their briefs and are giving us great leadership and vision throughout this crisis. Its probably a good thing that all we have to be worried about is Opposition Waffle in the face of VBs badgering...

sarcasm ????????

i hope
    god i wish that were true

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Missed that last night but sounds like a rerun of any number of previous interviews . Vincent Browne likes to do that and regularly savaged people on his RTE radio show. If you give him answers or challenge him he back down. He is a grumpy old betimes and while I still respect his journalism he does like to rant.

It is not up to the opposition to come up with a budget, although both Labour and FG have come up with a good number of alternative proposals and not just on the budget. I'd ignore SF's laughable attempt to formulate credible policies. Either way the solutions for the budget are pretty obvious; more taxes and more cuts. There is also a case for suggesting that the government has a clearer picture of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I'm as interested in politics as the next guy but no expert. But that was truly embarrassing viewing. My thoughts on FF would need be expletive laden for me to truly express them but the ramblings of FG, Labour and SF last night was humiliating at best.

Is this the best we have to offer??? Vincent Brown did not ask for a budget, he wanted concise money saving ideas and all the gobsh*tes could rattle off was basically that they needed to make the savings from reduced expenditure and increased taxation which a half-pissed halfwit on a barstool could have said. These people knew they were going to be grilled about it and going out to a live audience and this is the best they come with???? They're an absolute disgrace. No other word for it.

Vincent Browne is the voice of people like us and he's 100% right to be as in your face as he is.

Yer man Coveney was particularly bumbling, after a damaging rant from Browne you could see him scurrying through his notes in a vain attempt to find some figures and make amends. Pathetic.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

It is not up to the opposition to come up with a budget, although both Labour and FG have come up with a good number of alternative proposals and not just on the budget. I'd ignore SF's laughable attempt to formulate credible policies. Either way the solutions for the budget are pretty obvious; more taxes and more cuts. There is also a case for suggesting that the government has a clearer picture of numbers.

I have not seen any proposals from Labour. Could you post a link?

Labour's main thrust has been of the economic variety and not specifically the budget. In that respect they've been cute to avoid proposing unpopular options, mostly to keep up those high poll numbers I reckon. TBH any list from any party aside from SF will have the same effect -lots and lots of pain. There is their Eight Point Plan - much of which is targeted at banks. Incidentally they are having their conference this week so maybe some proposals will come out in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

ya VB asked questions and expected them to answer them - thats all - coveney was a clown on it

i cant help bursting into laughter every time vb gets his words muddled up

dodgyme wrote: »
    ya VB asked questions and expected them to answer them - thats all - coveney was a clown on it

Most parties these days are full of "politician-lites", and tend to send out the least offensive looking for TV and radio. Coveney is one of these; presentable, a recognisable name and can usually be relied on to string sentences together on general policy without making a complete ass of himself. Most are just expected to make up numbers and waffle convincingly. The occasions that VB has come up against the bigger and better guns he hasn't got away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

i actually wouldn't have minded if he had strung some sentences together. But he sounded like an RTE canteen worker dragged in to make up the numbers. It was that bad. It says such awful things about the party.

I agree about the 'politician-lite' thing. But that doesn't mean it's in any way defendable. Browne is there to poke and prod these people, nothing wrong with it and it's what we'd expect. The thing is, all he had to do to trip them up was ask them about their recovery plans! That was it! Queue mass panic, ruffling of sheets of paper, ummmsss, ehhhhs and waffle. It's unnerving.

i think the likes of browne and matt cooper are good at what they do,and only for them ,nothing would come of any scandals

Labour's main thrust has been of the economic variety and not specifically the budget. In that respect they've been cute to avoid proposing unpopular options, mostly to keep up those high poll numbers I reckon. TBH any list from any party aside from SF will have the same effect -lots and lots of pain. There is their Eight Point Plan - much of which is targeted at banks. Incidentally they are having their conference this week so maybe some proposals will come out in that.

Labour has not proposed anything then?

doesnt matter what proposals any of them bring forward,the government os going to do things their way ,however opposition ideas would set certain things in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I'm as interested in politics as the next guy but no expert. But that was truly embarrassing viewing. My thoughts on FF would need be expletive laden for me to truly express them but the ramblings of FG, Labour and SF last night was humiliating at best.

Is this the best we have to offer??? Vincent Brown did not ask for a budget, he wanted concise money saving ideas and all the gobsh*tes could rattle off was basically that they needed to make the savings from reduced expenditure and increased taxation which a half-pissed halfwit on a barstool could have said. These people knew they were going to be grilled about it and going out to a live audience and this is the best they come with???? They're an absolute disgrace. No other word for it.

Vincent Browne is the voice of people like us and he's 100% right to be as in your face as he is.

Yer man Coveney was particularly bumbling, after a damaging rant from Browne you could see him scurrying through his notes in a vain attempt to find some figures and make amends. Pathetic.

ive always found simon covney to be a particulary unimpressive man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There's no good number of alternative proposals there. I imagine/hope we'll see something with more substance than a gathering of bullet points at their conference.

That said, Gilmore's public intervention on the national strike issue, no matter how carefully couched in language to make it FF's problem not theirs, is promising from a putting country ahead of political point scoring point of view.

well biffo has to be very careful on one point he could get sluaghtered in the elections in may, if people dont see the light ,or if they mess up this budget, but the ball is in his court along time now and he still isnt playing to his full capacity ,i dont think he has to many tricks left up his sleeve

ateam wrote: »
    Labour has not proposed anything then?
    In terms of budget proposals not a lot. But with FG publishing a stimulus package tomorrow they should come up with something this week. For now they will claim "credit" for getting the parties back to the partnership talks.
    nesf wrote: »
    There's no good number of alternative proposals there. I imagine/hope we'll see something with more substance than a gathering of bullet points at their conference.

That said, Gilmore's public intervention on the national strike issue, no matter how carefully couched in language to make it FF's problem not theirs, is promising from a putting country ahead of political point scoring point of view.

Opposition parties always look like whingers. What is more interesting is how Labour will be able to continue playing both sides and give the impression of being responsible. So far they are doing a decent job of it as long as VB et al don't ask too many hard questions about policies.
    The absurdity of our current situation is that almost anything can be proposed. In all honesty any idea that includes a "stimulus" or a "saving" ends up being the policy of the week.
    well biffo has to be very careful on one point he could get sluaghtered in the elections in may, if people dont see the light ,or if they mess up this budget, but the ball is in his court along time now and he still isnt playing to his full capacity ,i dont think he has to many tricks left up his sleeve

The slaughter is coming anyway , it's just the degree.

The slaughter is coming anyway , it's just the degree.

What a wonderful dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

was watching this with my Da and he said he thought VB did this deliberately to show viewers that they had no real ideas.

It made me think they're all thinking inside the same tiny little box and they're stuck in it. Not an original idea among them yesterday evening.

However after I read the Indo yesterday evening, I see FG are soon putting forward some ideas such as privatisation of a couple of semi-states to raise money.

One thing that none of them are taking into account with their figures is that private sector workers and some public sector workers are taking pay cuts - therefore there will be less tax to take from them in the first place.

v b had his figures all in order last night 10/09,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,35% and so on

Advertisement