Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico acting erratically

Options
  • 25-03-2009 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I signed up for the 3mb and suddenly found myself with 1 MB, then after 1 month i finally got the 3mb connection. The speeds were great and in particular the uploads. Then after only a few days the download speed dropped to below 2 mb and is now on average at below 1mb download speed while upload speed is still high at normal 3 mb/2mb speeds.

Are Perlico going back to the bad old days....when they were the worst provider in Ireland. I know people have had problems with eircom, but i had eircom for 3 years and never had a problem. Absolutely solid service with steady average from eircom. I was temtpted to Perlico to save costs due to the recession. It is proving to be a mistake.

If your happy at Eircom then stay there, Perlico is far more bureaucratic and slower to act than eircom.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Post your SNR stats from your router
    also try this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Your DSL is rate adaptive, if line quality drops the speed will adjust accordingly, you need to rule out as much as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

pirelli wrote: »

If your happy at Eircom then stay there, Perlico is far more bureaucratic and slower to act than eircom.

Perlico are an absolute nightmare to deal with. It literally took me 30 calls to get up and running, and then the broadband would drop everytime the phone would ring. Their 'technical support' would blame Eircom and say that they would look into it.

I was lied to for six months before I finally had enough.

Avoid them like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

the broadband would drop everytime the phone would ring.

That sounds like a faulty line filter, don't know if they can really do anything about that because it's not a problem they can diagnose. Eircom would charge over €100 to send someone out to fix it :eek: whereas you could buy a handful at your local hardware store for a couple of quid or borrow from someone who has spares.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Onikage wrote: »
    That sounds like a faulty line filter, don't know if they can really do anything about that because it's not a problem they can diagnose. Eircom would charge over €100 to send someone out to fix it :eek: whereas you could buy a handful at your local hardware store for a couple of quid or borrow from someone who has spares.

Agreed, the majority of the time DSL disconnecting when phone rings is due to physical connections within the customers premises, this is outside of the ISP's remit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I am signed up to 3MB with perlico.
    During the day my speeds are an average of 1MB DL
    However during the offpeak times of late night and early morning my DL Speed is
    almost 3MB.

Perlico claim this is due to noisy Phoneline, It appears to be more to with peak and off peak use, I can suppport this because the speeds during the day are very consistent speeds and the higher speed at off peak is a highly consistent higher speed. It appears instead of getting up to 3mb you get a peak use of 1Mb and Upload speeds of 2Mb and off peak you get the 3MB.

Wasting hundreds of euro to send technicians from eircom to whom ever complains seems OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Their 'technical support' would blame Eircom and say that they would look into it.

I hate when a company does this. If i'm paying BT or UTV or Perlico I don't wanna hear anything about Eircom on the phone.

It's like when I had a problem with my O2 phone insurance and they tell me "well we can't do anything, you must ring phonecover". What? I rang O2 to get the f**king insurance, they didn't tell me ring phonecover then.
    Who they go to, to cover their asses is not my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Perlico.. Perlico :mad:

I am going to try BT, i suspect perlico rent the line from eircom and sell it on to the general public.Then when you sign up for a 3Mb your actually joining a huge queue of people and will never experience peak time 3mb and only 3mb at off peak times i.e after 1 am. That must be how they make their money.

I will say one thing for perlico, they are reporting more phone lines
    to eircom than the all of eircom customers put together and they know that it's their setup.

Well! It has been 2 months and 2 eircom engineers have called out to the house ( no problems)and an all clear from the main eircom exchange on the phone line and some trial and error to make sure its not my equipment that is causing this suspicious peak 1mb and off peak 3 mb broadband speed. Perlico is kindly going to send an engineer to double check the broadband connection. Pfft !

It is strange this peak and off peak change in speed.!! Might be a crows nest in the eircom telephone exchange.

Advertisement