Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend a camera

• 25-03-2009 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi everyone:)

I want to buy a new camera, the budget is about €400, what would you guys recommend? I need something small enough to throw into my bag for a night out but to be semi-pro type one! Am I hoping for too much for my budget (damn recession:p)?

Thanks

p xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Define "semi-pro"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Pinky Pixie

Basically a decent one that I could use to take more artsy photos with! As I'm sure you can tell...I havin't a clue on cameras only that I have a good knack at getting good shots and want something that will make them that bit better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Panasonic LX3 gets a very favourable review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

as well as that review, there are over 70 user reviews, which seem to be mostly very favourable.

It just manages to come within your budget:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/lx3

you can possibly get €7 off if you use this discount code - Pixie090301

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

If your bag is big you might squeeze an Olympus E420 into it, it's the smallest lightest DSLR out there, and within shouting distance of your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 revin

I recommend the Ricoh Capilio GX100. Full manual control, super wide angle lens (24mm equiv) great picture quality, robust build quality, fast response, powerful flash etc etc. And you can get one on a well known auction site for less than €300. Picture quality is not quite DSLR esp at higher iso levels but it is very pocketable. Has served me well.

Attached is a pic showing a shot taken with my GX100 - 2 sec exposure with fill in flash. Nothing wrong with the Panasonic recommendation either mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

nilhg wrote: »
    If your bag is big you might squeeze an Olympus E420 into it, it's the smallest lightest DSLR out there, and within shouting distance of your budget.

That's what I was coming in to say.
    Great little camera and superb lenses to upgrade to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

You can afford an DSLR. You could get a used Canon 350D or 400D (possibly with a kit lens). You should also have money for a 50mm f/1.8 lens which would be the best you could get for dark shots indoors.

The above DSLR's are called prosumers and are not semi-pro which is the next level up. Semi-pros are a good bit bigger than prosumers but prosumers are big if you are coming from point and shoots. Alot of DSLR users will start on the prosumer models and although they are not brilliant in low light situations compared to semi-pros they are not all that bad either.

If you were to get that camera above you would fit it into a decent sized handbag but you have two problems. 1) The camera will not be protected properly with padding etc. 2) Due to the size of the camera it will attract attention from possible thiefs - so if your taking shots one minute and then put the camera into your bag, leave the bag at a table and go out dancing people are going to notice.

If you want to take photos with a DSLR on a night out you need to carry the camera on your shoulder for the night to mind it and mind it you will!! Nightclubs involve alot of rubbing up against other people and bumping into people. Don't think about going out dancing or drinking too much.

It's important to look after the camera and your lens and keep them in mint condition if possible as if you keep the hobby you will want to upgrade in the future. This means selling some of your gear on the second hand market - it will be easier to sell it if it's mint and fetch a higher price.

Maybe a DSLR isn't the best solution for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Any of the top end Canon Ixus's should serve quite well. The Ixus 980 has some good manual features and a 14.7mp sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 oirishman

Def give this a look....it has a great zoom and wide angle Leika lens.
    lots of features.fully automatic
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/page11.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you want something compact that takes a great picture, go for the Panasonic TZ5, or if you're thinking of moving up to a DSLR then the Olympus E-420 or Sony A200 would be your best bet, but each has their own pro's and cons.

if you want a DSLR with very little in the way of cons you'll need to spring another 200-300 quid but then the world is pretty much your oyster choice wise from canon, nikon, olympus, sony, pentax and anyone else you can think of. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

+1 with the high end canon ixus. You definitely don't want a dslr if you want to carry it around with you on a night out. I have a Canon Ixus 700 with image stabilisation and so happy with it. manual controls are limited but can set the exposure compensation and what not. get by perfectly well with just the 6 megapixels too. was looking at canon G10 and the Lumix LX3 too which would suit your tastes and budget. have a look at flickr and look up some cameras etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

the canon g9 / g10 are good and within your budget. almost pocketable (bit thick) but a step above most compacts.

though I reckon you should think about getting a canon ixus for half your budget and saving the other half towards a proper DSLR for general photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The Nikon D40 is a really small DSLR, very light and definitely within your budget.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Rb wrote: »
    The Nikon D40 is a really small DSLR, very light and definitely within your budget.

I agree... a decent slr, and a step in the right direction long term... your back to square one if you wanna upgrade again with the others

But, IF you DO want to go with a DSLR and size is a factor, then the only real option is the Olympus E-420 as it is a lot smaller than other DSLR's being the four thirds format, and with the pancake lense and is closer to the size of a decent bridge camera than anything else.

it's a tough choice anyway, i think your best bet would prpobably be to go into a good camera shop with a few ideas jotted down of models you would be interested in an just try them out for yorself. you might find once you get something in your hands that you liked on paper, it's not for you and visa versa.

I'm just saying there's no way you'll bring a dslr out on a night out. I'd go for a compact with manual controls i.e. G9/G10, LX3 etc.

breadbin wrote: »
    I'm just saying there's no way you'll bring a dslr out on a night out. I'd go for a compact with manual controls i.e. G9/G10, LX3 etc.
    i know, that's why I suggested the E-420 in the first place. it's the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market.
    The Canon G10 is 109x78x46mm (14.1 oz), but the Olympus E-420 on the other hand is 129.5 x 91.0 x 53.0mm (13.3 oz) with the pancake lense making it only a very tiny bit larger and actually slightly lighter than the G10. :)

the link in my previous post shows a picture of it next to a full szed DSLR and a micro compact camera for comparison.

but, to be fair, if you're drinking and messing around on a night out, you only want a €50-100 camera with a decent flash and that about it, unless you're a papparazzi. :D

in the interests of full disclosure, I did just buy an E-420 off amazon with a 14-42mm lense, a 4gb CF card and a case for €385 deivered (for the missus), so I probably am biased, but I've been looking for the right budget DSLR for several weeks now and this one ticked all but one of the boxes (no anti-shake in the body), so it's already won me over and I don't have it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

You've got a great little camera :)
    I have the previous version, the e-410 and I love it, good pictures in a very light package, hope you enjoy yours when you receive it.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i know, that's why I suggested the E-420 in the first place. it's the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market.
    The Canon G10 is 109x78x46mm (14.1 oz), but the Olympus E-420 on the other hand is 129.5 x 91.0 x 53.0mm (13.3 oz) with the pancake lense making it only a very tiny bit larger and actually slightly lighter than the G10. :)

the link in my previous post shows a picture of it next to a full szed DSLR and a micro compact camera for comparison.

but, to be fair, if you're drinking and messing around on a night out, you only want a €50-100 camera with a decent flash and that about it, unless you're a papparazzi. :D

in the interests of full disclosure, I did just buy an E-420 off amazon with a 14-42mm lense, a 4gb CF card and a case for €385 deivered (for the missus), so I probably am biased, but I've been looking for the right budget DSLR for several weeks now and this one ticked all but one of the boxes (no anti-shake in the body), so it's already won me over and I don't have it yet.

Wow, i'll have to have a look at one of them myself. I was thinking of a pentax ist d with a pancake lens. because its tiny too. i wonder if it is similar size? didn't realise it was so small but argument is the same - i know i wouldn't bring that out with me on a night out;) and you're right about the cost too. people react differently too with a dslr pointed at them. thats why i think an ixus would be perfect. camera phone even better cept they're crap at night

Advertisement