Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Convention..

Options
  • 25-03-2009 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

who's going so?? and when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Me all weekend. I think John and Ian are out.

Someone who's been, what's the Gala show like? If I go to it I'll have to stay an extra night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 James1969

Smaller than usual group coming down from the Ulster Society of Magicians due to change of dates.

Lineup doesnt look so good this year - probably due to the credit crunch but we always enjoy ourseleves anyway.

As to the Gala show - seems a bit light on Magic Acts and less acts than usual which hopefully means we will be hitting the bar before midnight.

See you there Friday @ 9 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Well first off, Congrats to Leon Anderson for pretty much cleaning up on the awards, everything but the close up award. Apologies, I cant remember the name of the close up winner.
    I only got to one lecture, Jon allen. Fantastic lecture though, and many nice things picked up from him. Had a quick browse through his lecture notes last night, and some great ideas in there.
    Thought the gala show was quite poor overall, with some notable exceptions. It being a magic convention I would have loved to have seen more magic. Zanes act was bizarre to see the least, maybe appealling to the older people in the crowd, but i hated it. It was a shame Jon Allens act was so short, as i'd liked the stuff he'd showed us earlier in the day. Highlight of the show was the Ventriliquist (sp?) IMO, a great performance.
    other peoples thoughts? I'd definitely be considering entering the competitions next year, after seeing how its runs this year.

I had a great time. I think it was Fred something or other who one the close up. All the lectures I went to were very good, I only missed one due to alcohol consumption!

What was Jon Allen's nail roullette like?

Yeah I was suprised at the standard of competitions. The stage had one or two strong acts but close up was really rather weak overall. Apparently the daughter of someone I can't remember's name performed her fathers act, just as her sister had done before. I thought it was decent and was impressed with the girls talent but I suppose I hadn't seen it many times before. I think the genera consensus was if she'd been given a chance to do her own thing it would have been much stronger. Fred Something or Other produced a lot of umbrellas. That's about the height of it, a little too singing in the rain for me. His colour monte which wasn't a colour monte despite being indistinguishable from a colour monte (he added some moves you know) was pretty entertaining but was a colour monte used on stage even if he did se big cards. 00 Nevin seemed like it could go somewhere and was funny but it wasn't the crowd for it. I was blown away by a guy who's name I can't remember now but he posts under the name Thames Iron (Mike or Ian correct me please!) actually blew me away with a trick I found out off him is called Trilogy. Essentilally, performer names a card, spec 1 names a number, performer names a number, spec 2 names a card. Performer names first and the two always match but it's as clean as a nun's panties, no doubles or anything, all genuinely on one card. unfortunately it played a bit small for the stage size. Leon did a very nice cane and Linking Rings act to music and UV lighting. Very impressed with it actually. That's all I can remember now.

The winner didn't even do a close up act, it was a rope and ring stand up or stage act with way too many knot related puns. Dave Walshe was probably the best but he wasn't eligible to win (long story) and Leon was also good again but got himself disqualified by going over time. Steve O'Mara's act would have been good in a comedy club but it wasn't for the crowd except his last coin trick which suprised a few people (but was also ineligible). Eamon would probably have been he most deserving, eligible competitor but he was not at the standard I've seen him at in the club, he was probably too nervous to try his Dan and Dave style of stuff which was a pity cause he could probably have presented it in an entertaining way (more charisma than the twins combined). Honourable mention to James for giving it a go and his mental photography presentation, genius! Unfortunately some of the stuff performed could have been found in a kids magic book. In fact I'm going to go 'further than that' , it probably was found in a kids book. That's all I can remember of this either.

• Advertisement

Further than that i felt was one of the most self-overratted tricks of all time! I dont think the ring guy won the close up though, I was under the impression the guy with 3 stages (card control mentlaism and a little bit of magic)won it, no?! he had the plaque and was unsure what it was.

No, I think Eamonn got best new comer or some such but it wasn't the close up trophy.

so the rope no gimmick thing one? not a knot but no knot?! :(
    Why wasnt Dave eligible? I thought he was?

Hahahaha you missed a lot of drama. He's not technically an IBM member so can't win. There was swearing and threats. Ask Leon or Steve about it.

Good to meet you guys at the weekend - keep in touch here over the next 13 months and we will see you in Belfast in May 2010.

With regerds to the competitions there are two main trophies in the Stage and Close up Comps

Stage

IBM Shield - open to IBM Members only
    Four provinces trophy - open to members of a recognised Irish Magical Society

Close up

John Bowden Trophy - open to IBM members only
    Tony Thursby - open to members oof a recognised Irish Magical Society

Therefore if the best act is a member of the IBM and (eg) the SIM he would win both awards. If he is not a member of either he will win nothing.

• Advertisement

BTW I am on Facebook if you want to add me - search for James Hobart

Advertisement