Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bottle Smasher

• 25-03-2009 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have regular enough party's in my house.. I do try to persuade my mates to bring cans rather than bottles but I still manage to have a crud load of bottles left and no car to bring them to the bottle bank.. so my idea is:

A little box with a foot pump on it that you can place the bottle inside press down on and smash the bottle into small fragments (multiple bottles at once would also be nice).. it could then stored in a little handy receptacle than can easily be brought to the bottle bank and poured in.. obviously separate little receptacles for the differing coloured glass. Extra points if it can be designed to automatically sweep the frags into the receptacle.

I'm thinking the design could be pretty easily worked out by folks that have that kind of background (engineering ect)..

Obviously the design would have to be safe and not have shards of glass flying everywhere when you smash them!

Yes, this isn't an invention.. it's an idea I'm just putting out there!

I had got a photoshop of a design idea I had in my head but it was so awful it broke my internet for 2 and a half hours. :pac: *EDIT* I managed to retrieve my blue prints. see attached image.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This with a few studs/spikes on the underside of the squishing platform should do the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Well goodluck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could make a ball mill out of an old washing machine that would grind it down to sand if you wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Better idea.
    Create a giant magazine (like in a gun) that you can feed the bottles into. This is in turn placed into a large pneumatic gun (similar to an anti-aircraft gun from WW2)This could be mounted in your front garden, or a specially designed turret on your house to be used as a defence weapon, or in situations like This.
    Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Oh your all very smart!!

This in association with this is the answer.

TEEHEE

Oh your all very smart!!

This in association with this is the answer.

TEEHEE

Just keeping myself up to date.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just keeping myself up to date.
    Please don't bump an old thread without adding something ;)

You can look your previous posts easily enough if you need to.

this crusher won't work with bottles :(
    http://www.tog.ie/2010/12/crusher/

This might

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Please don't bump an old thread without adding something ;)

He did add something. He updated a dead link in his previous post.

TBH I didn't check all the pictures

• Advertisement

SEE DONNY5

My own hair trigger appears to be faulty!

SEE DONNY5

My own hair trigger appears to be faulty!

You just put the 11 character code after the v= part of the URL between the YOUTUBE tags.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here's a high tech method..............
    I put any glass to be recycled into an old bin with a block at the bottom. I then smash the bejasus out of it with a scaffolding post attached to a wooden handle (I wear glasses and gloves, of course). When that's done, I chuck the pieces into a cement mixer and churn until I get bored or I can't put up with the noise. It all ends up with no sharp edges and looks lovely as a "gravel" path or homemade terrazo when mixed with sand and cement - well it probably will, when I have enough.
    I reckon this gives me a lower carbon footprint then bringing stuff to the recycling centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Put the bottles into a strongish bag and hammer it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Put the bottles into a strongish bag and hammer it?

Exactly. double up 2 coal bags fill them with bottles and swing them at an outside wall til the bottles smash up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

you could do that... or just find a local homebrewer.. s/he will probably take most of the bottles off you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You could toss the empty bottles into an unwanted washing machine with a brick for the craic. Would make smashing glass that bit more entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i did my work experience at a restaurant/catering establishment when i was at school and one of my many jobs was to put the empty bottles in the recycling bin outside.

i thought i was doing everyone a favour (and enjoying myself) by throwing the bottles into the container and breaking not only the ones i was throwing in, but the ones that were already there and saving loads of space and was very happy with myself by the time i'd finished and there was hardly a single bottle not smashed to bits.

all going great until the recycling truck turned up to collect it when it was finally full and they couldn't lift the container because it was so heavy due to all the bottles being smashed to bits and as a result, many many more bottles fitting into the same space. :pac:

i wasn't very popular as someone had to get in and shovel a load of the broken glass out so they could lift it. :D

Advertisement