Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mood swings...

Options
  • 25-03-2009 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Off tobacco now again 4 weeks on Saturday. All wasnt actually too bad for the first week as I was mentally prepared and determined to quit, and I had a vicous hangover and slept a lot for the first 48 hours so i'm over the cravings, the only problem now is really weird mood swings.

One minute i'm happy and laughing, next thing something or someone would irritate me and id have an instant mood change to angry or upset. I dont really snap at anyone I just feel myself getting intensly angry inside. That then passes to feeling depressed and blue.

This is probably the longest i've actually been without since I was a kid. All the other times ive quit i've used patches etc or had a few smokes here and there at pubs before goign back on them within 2-4 weeks. Now im totally sure i'm finished with them. Just need to get through these moods. Anyone similar?

I think i needed the above vent because i'm feeling better now after writing that (partner doesnt get me ranting at all being a nonsmoker her whole life) so cheers....how do others get through the moods though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

mood swings are a pain in the ass alright...but here's how I used to deal with them...

When you feel like you're about to react negatively to something or someone, take a deep breath and slow down. Think about whats upsetting you. You'll then realise how silly it is and laugh about it. And thats the battle won. Until the next time.
    Mood swings will fade away...dont worry.
    Whenever i felt an irrational anger come over me, I pictured myself kickin the monkeys out of the marlboro man...cos, at the end of the day, its all his fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Right with you there PClancy. Stopped smoking 3 weeks (and 1 day) ago and find I get really pissed off very suddenly, out of no-where. And for pretty trivial stuff that I normally ignore. Guess we just have to weather the storm for a while.

On the plus side, to name a few:
    - I'm saving a fortune:D
    - feeling decidedly perkier and fresher
    - the house smells nicer
    - I don't have to go outside anywhere
    - I don't have any more guilt over doing such a stupid thing every day

Just keep thinking of the positives :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah im generally a very positive person but it just happens out of nowhere as you say. Trying to keep as busy as possible seems to help, im mad busy in work at the moment but when i come home and have nothing to do at night every little annoyng thing my partner does turns into a relationship threatening atrocity :D

Im thinking about getting some weed again to relax for the first time in years!

Advertisement