Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growth Spurt...feeding frenzy?

Options
  • 25-03-2009 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Our little fella (first one) is coming up on a month old.

Over the last week he's gone GA GA for food, feeding almost every hour.

When he does sleep its for not very long at all...i've read this is pretty common, just wondering how other people coped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I'd sit down, put tv on, put the feet up and feed away. In the first six weeks especially, the best thing to do is to follow baby's wants and needs. Trying to do anything else will stress you and baby out.

Mine used to feed almost constantly from 7pm to 11pm. I just went with it. Then she'd have a few days where she would feed every two hours. I just made no plans and feed away. Eventually she settled into a routine herself and was quite relaxed as was I. The best advice I can give is to just go with it for now. There is no way to force a routine onto a baby younger than 6 weeks and as they get a bit bigger they become more efficient feeders and everything does fall into place.

Is your baby breast fed or bottle fed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

ya I called my two the "bin bags". Although make sure not to confuse hunger with colic. At about 1 month old to 3 months colic can make them cry and get fussy along with windyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

yep, make sure you have a book or mag or the telly on when theyre like that - i always found my fella used to sleep more as well when he was going through a growth spurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Breastfed babies have growth spurts at 3,6 and 12 weeks (I am sure bottle fed babies do too but I don't have that experience). As other posters said, sit down and relax. Eat and drink well, to help build up supply and let baby do the rest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Breastfed babies have growth spurts at 3,6 and 12 weeks (I am sure bottle fed babies do too but I don't have that experience). As other posters said, sit down and relax. Eat and drink well, to help build up supply and let baby do the rest :)
    My two were bottle fed (medical complications) I found they had a growth spirt every 2 weeks for the first few months and then every month until 6 months of age, and then every 2 months until about 1 year old, after that it was every 6 months ..... MONSTER BABIES lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

Growth spurts are hard work but luckily they are short lived. One or two days at most. My little one spent 1 or 2 days feeding every hour, and the next day sleeping at the drop of a hat. All you can do is settle in for the duration ... comfy chair, tv or radio, book and plenty to eat and drink. This is one of those times when a partner comes into there own. If they can answer the door, the phone, and fetch and carry drinks and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

agree with all the others, feed away, its normal :). the next time he gets weighed u will see the results of all that work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

As i keep saying feed away its only for a short while anyhow.If breastfed my lasr fella fed for a couple of hours a night just look it as an exscuse to put the feet up and relax few weeks from now it will all be forgotton about and they be teething.Dont worry its perfectly normal,dont let anyone try tell you otherwise.Go with the flow and enjoy the peace.Have few snacks and few dvds ready.All i can say really

Advertisement