Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

night in with some suishi any ideas?

• 25-03-2009 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

4 of us sitting in tonight with a bottle of japanese wine given to me as a thank you.

i want to get some suishi , but dont want to pay crazy money.. party of 4 .. would anyone know my best option where to get it and that black sause that goes on the plate.. just somthing different i guess .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Why don't you make it yourself? I got all the bits to make it in Tesco they always have it in as far as I can see and its very cost effective.

Get the seaweed paper (nori I think its called) The rolling mat, sushi rice rice wine vinegar, bit of ginger, rocket, avocado (just improvise) and crabmeat or smoked salmon, soy sauce and wasabi for dipping. there are loads of simple how to recipes online just google it. I often make it for my lunch, its not hard.

Also try some veg tempura, that is so good, any veg you like dip in a tempura batter (tempura flower and sparkling water) and deep fry. It'll be a great feast and they will be so impressed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

yamamori, if you're in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://www.dharmas-deli.com/

dharma's deli if you're in Cork.

Terrible name but great sushi!

Or make it yourself as already mentioned.
    But I'd go more for the raw fish - whatever you can get really fresh.

Here's a link to good instructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 niceguyjoe

kikililly wrote: »
    Why don't you make it yourself? I got all the bits to make it in Tesco they always have it in as far as I can see and its very cost effective.

Get the seaweed paper (nori I think its called) The rolling mat, sushi rice rice wine vinegar, bit of ginger, rocket, avocado (just improvise) and crabmeat or smoked salmon, soy sauce and wasabi for dipping. there are loads of simple how to recipes online just google it. I often make it for my lunch, its not hard.

Also try some veg tempura, that is so good, any veg you like dip in a tempura batter (tempura flower and sparkling water) and deep fry. It'll be a great feast and they will be so impressed!!

what was the cost of this total? cheers for the tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

First time making it can add up a bit, alright.

But keep in mind that most of what you buy will last for many more shshi makings.

Rolling mat lasts for ever.
    Vinegar will do a hell of a lot of sushi.
    Tin of wasabi powder lasts and lasts.
    You probably won't go through a full packet of nori or rice.
    Depending on quantity you buy, ginger should last a few goes too.

And soy sauce you probably have already.

You use surprisingly little fish - I always have fish left over for something else.

Maki rolls are really easy to make and look and taste so impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

The paper, vinegar, mat and rice came in under €10 I think they were all around the €2 or €2.5 mark as far as I remember but you get a few goes out of it.
    You could probably manage without the mat but it may be a bit messier.
    If it was me I'd get the ingredients together and cook rice etc and if your friends are the type to enjoy it you could have some fun rolling them together...something different.
    If your in galway there is a place just off cross street that sells it ready made aswell, can't remember the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I find sushi rolls nicer without the rice vinegar, sorta korean style ( google kimbap and you'll get the idea). My favourite is a filling of:

carrot, pickled asian radish (you get it vaccuum packed in asian store -v.cheap), tuna, egg roll and sesame leaves ( have only found tinned variety here so far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Too late now but Michie Sushi in Ranelagh is a brilliant take-away sushi place!

Advertisement