Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a screw that has been filed away

Options
  • 25-03-2009 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to open a screw that has been filed away? It a very very small screw. I was trying to open something and taking out the screw. It wouldn't open so i kept at it and now its been filed away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Tricky, but do-able.
    You can get an 'easy-out' set from your local motor factor.

You have to drill a hole into the head of the screw, the easy-out is a reverse-threaded insert screw that unscrews your screw as it screws itself in.

(Cue the 'screwing' gags)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Despite trying several brands of screw extractors over the years, I have never once got them to work on small screws/bolts, they have snapped off every time, leaving a far bigger headache than the original problem, due to their hardness.

If there is not enough head left to cut a new slot in, using a dremel with a cut-off disk, drilling it out might be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

where is the screw, whats it on?
    If the screw is not recessed (the head sits above the surface) then you have 2 options
    1) try to grab the screw with a pliers/mole grips
    2) remove the head with a dremel etc and just lift the two pieces apart.

If they fail or if its recessed Ive usually gotten them out by cutting a single slot in the screw head with a dremel or hacksaw and using a flat head screwdriver to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

You could try a Grabit damaged screw remover. You can get them at B&Q.
    http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=21391

See demo below:
    http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Why do you need to get the screw out? Is it for example something held onto a wall? I had such a problem earlier this year and couldn't get close to the screw to cut a slot into it or even to dremel it out.

What I did was put back in all the other screws to hold it onto the wall, then I used a holesaw to cut the timber around the drill. After that when I took the remaining screws out I was able to lift the press off the wall over the damaged screw. Now it off the wall and out of the way I was able to use a vice grips to catch the screw and simply unscrew it form the wall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

is this a machine part or a wood screw?

Drill it out and retap bigger or use a helicoil

Advertisement