Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing shower

Options
  • 25-03-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

hi a quick question

installing a shower, what's the best practice when hooking up the water pipe

wrap PTFE around the olive and threading female connection or use
    plumbers paste (i have used PTFE around the olive in a shower a few years ago and have had no problems yet)

but maybe plumbers paste is the way to go?

Thanks for your opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ptfe tape used as you describe, works a treat, it is what I do. I have embedded such connections in walls and have so far not had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

you could use boss white
    just smear a tiny bit around the olive.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ptfe tape used as you describe, works a treat, it is what I do. I have embedded such connections in walls and have so far not had any problems.

Thanks very much cnocbui & john mac for the info

great resource this for opinions (i just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing - i've never had a leak either using the PTFE)

i've used the boss white on other types of connections before but wasn't entirely sure for the shower & me being a messy .... i better stick with the PTFE

Thanks again lads

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

Why not avoid all that and use push fit fittings
    QPL's qualpex and fittings are excellent and easy to use.
    Only issue i can see is if the shower is metric then use acorn
    I am almost 100% sure the connection in nearly all show bodies are metric push fit anyway so why not push fit throughout

Advertisement