Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Premiership Rights Next Season?

• 25-03-2009 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I have been going through my budget this morning and i have decided to make a few cuts.

Setanta costs me €22 per month. Now i think this is value for this season, English Premiership 08/09. Im a United fan and Setanta seem to have almost ALL United's Saturday games.

Now, i think i heard somewhere that Setanta have lost much if not all of the rights to the premiership for the next season.

Can anyone confirm this or shine some light on it, €22 a month adds up at the end of the year..

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I have been going through my budget this morning and i have decided to make a few cuts.

Setanta costs me €22 per month. Now i think this is value for this season, English Premiership 08/09. Im a United fan and Setanta seem to have almost ALL United's Saturday games.

Now, i think i heard somewhere that Setanta have lost much if not all of the rights to the premiership for the next season.

Can anyone confirm this or shine some light on it, €22 a month adds up at the end of the year..

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Sky got most of the packages. I think Setanta only got one at most, if at all.
    Basically, they won't be showing as many matches. I think they keep the Monday night games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sky got most of the packages. I think Setanta only got one at most, if at all.
    Basically, they won't be showing as many matches. I think they keep the Monday night games!

I thought they lost the Monday night package to Sky?

Also I think Setantas current package covers next season, new rights are for the start of 2011/12 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

they lost monday, they kept the Saturday evening games and still have the Irish 3pm rights.

So they will still have alot of Manu and Liverpool games next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

prendy wrote: »
    they lost monday, they kept the Saturday evening games and still have the Irish 3pm rights.

So they will still have alot of Manu and Liverpool games next season.

They have all the same packages as this season for next season.

They've lost some of those for the following season.

The status quo remains for next season, I'm certain about that.

Edit:

Word of warning if your are think of getting rid of Setanta, they do rolling contracts. i.e if you sign up for 12 months and paid up front for the 12 months, they automatically sign you up for another 12 months if you don't give them notice that you want terminate the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Right, so its €22.50 per month for the next yeat. But i suppose it is cheaper than going to the pub and getting fleeced by the publican.

All this fecking satalite TV is a feckin rip off.

Boggles wrote: »
    The status quo remains for next season, I'm certain about that.

Edit:

Word of warning if your are think of getting rid of Setanta, they do rolling contracts. i.e if you sign up for 12 months and paid up front for the 12 months, they automatically sign you up for another 12 months if you don't give them notice that you want terminate the contract.

Na, they just keep billing you and leaving the service in place. They cant legally sign you up for another years contract withought even consulting you. I didnt even get a letter.
    If it went to court, my solicitor could smilpy demand to see a signed contract for that year. Any lawyer worth his salt would rip them to bits.
    Point being, if you stop the direct debit, the service stops (that applies to the second year where no contract was signed)

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Na, they just keep billing you and leaving the service in place. They cant legally sign you up for another years contract withought even consulting you. I didnt even get a letter.
    If it went to court, my solicitor could smilpy demand to see a signed contract for that year. Any lawyer worth his salt would rip them to bits.
    Point being, if you stop the direct debit, the service stops (that applies to the second year where no contract was signed)

Happened a mate of mind, he paid full whack for the 1st year, they took it off his CC for the second year without consulting him, appartently was in their T&C's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wonder if Setanta will change their strategy next season and move away from having matches on Setanta Ireland, which is free with NTL, and move them to Setanta One, which is subscription based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder if Setanta will change their strategy next season and move away from having matches on Setanta Ireland, which is free with NTL, and move them to Setanta One, which is subscription based?

I'm fairly sure that Setanta have a deal with NTL which guarantees that a certain amount of the 3PM games (which Setanta have under the international rights deal) must be shown on Setanta Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'm fairly sure that Setanta have a deal with NTL which guarantees that a certain amount of the 3PM games (which Setanta have under the international rights deal) must be shown on Setanta Ireland.

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I called them last week to cancel as I hate their coverage and feel it isnt good value for money.

They put me through to their loyalty department and asked why. I said that I had just lost my job and couldnt afford anymore. I hadnt but I felt this was the easiest answer. They then offered me half price for the next 6 months which I accepted.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I think , don't quote me, that international rights deal is also up for renewal starting in the 2011/2012 season so there is no grantee that Setanta will hold the rights for 3pm games in shown in ROI beyond next season

As I said don't quote me, the bidding may already be over and they may have won, I'll google later

Boggles wrote: »
    Happened a mate of mind, he paid full whack for the 1st year, they took it off his CC for the second year without consulting him, appartently was in their T&C's.

I would have asked for a copy of the terms and conditions that he originally signed.

Board@Work wrote: »
    I called them last week to cancel as I hate their coverage and feel it isnt good value for money.

They put me through to their loyalty department and asked why. I said that I had just lost my job and couldnt afford anymore. I hadnt but I felt this was the easiest answer. They then offered me half price for the next 6 months which I accepted.

:)

Nice one, im searching for the Setanta phone number now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The Irish rights run until season 2009/20010, i presume they will be announced in the next month or so with the other international rights. I think Setanta will keep the live rights and Rte just going for highlights.

Dont think Ireland is going to change with regards to the rights in Ireland. They only lost 24 games over in the UK. Its a big deal over there as they only have 48. The bidding for the Irish rights have not been done yet.

Advertisement