Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon announces the 500D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The Digic4's higher ISO features are what would attract me rather than the video...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Will this not eat into the 40/50 D sales a lot? Looking at the specs especially against the 40 I cant think of a reason not to choose the 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Whats the general consensus here, does any photographer really find themselves in a moment where they think "damn, i wish i had a camcorder instead of a camera right now" ? Its all nice and convenient to see every available technology stuck into a single device, but doesn't it detract from development of the still picture specific technologies....personally I reckon theres enough video capable devices out there without sullying DSLRs with it...what does everyone else think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Whats the general consensus here, does any photographer really find themselves in a moment where they think "damn, i wish i had a camcorder instead of a camera right now" ? Its all nice and convenient to see every available technology stuck into a single device, but doesn't it detract from development of the still picture specific technologies....personally I reckon theres enough video capable devices out there without sullying DSLRs with it...what does everyone else think?

I agree, I've never even used the video function on my 5DmkII. I bought it for its full frame sensor and high ISO capabilities. To be honest if I could've bought it without the video feature at a reduced price, I probably would've parted with the cash a lot sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

YEah I agree .. while the 1080P video is nice to have on the 5DII ... its really just a gimmick ... I mean you can't make movies on it ... 12 mins is the max length at HD and 29mins at standard def.

Best thing i see on the 500D is the ISO expandable to 12,800 ... it's probably noisy as hell though ...

15MP aswell ... hmm not such a good idea on a smaller 1.6X crop sensor ...

i think the optimal is 10-12MP on a sensor that size ... I thought Canon would have learned after the 50D that more MP doesn't mean better...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

jackdaw wrote: »
    its really just a gimmick ... I mean you can't make movies on it ... 12 mins is the max length at HD and 29mins at standard def.

When was the last time you saw a movie that had a 12 minute take in it?

The HD movie feature might be a gimmick, but really your essentially getting it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

I hear the 550 will have internet access with an "auto-upload to facebook" app, Turn by Turn GPS Navigation and an MP4 player.
    A must have!
    :rolleyes:

I hear the 550 will have internet access with an "auto-upload to facebook" app, Turn by Turn GPS Navigation and an MP4 player.
    A must have!

You mean I won't be able to make bluetooth enabled phonecalls on it...what kind of camera is that?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

You mean I won't be able to make bluetooth enabled phonecalls on it...what kind of camera is that?!?

Cell phones on a camera???
    That's just tacky.:P

*That will happen when Apple buys Nikon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Even money says a lot of 500Ds will never leave fully automatic mode. I think Canon are aiming for the high end compact market here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I honestly dont see the point of this camera. To many mp for an apsc sensor. And it will eat into the 40 an 50d sales

Reports are starting to filter through that its RRP is like €800 for the body only :eek: Words fail me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

@gloobag I got a mail off warehouse express this morning, they want 870 sterling for it pre order.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

gloobag wrote: »
    Reports are starting to filter through that its RRP is like €800 for the body only :eek: Words fail me :mad:
    if thats true
    i think a lot of people will opt for the Nikon D90
    its price has dropped a lot since it launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

ttcomet wrote: »
    @gloobag I got a mail off warehouse express this morning, they want 870 sterling for it pre order.

strange my email says £869.99 but you get a free bag and memory card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Hopefully it'll bring down the cost of the 5D mark 11 fairly rapidly :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Covey wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll bring down the cost of the 5D mark 11 fairly rapidly :D

I doubt it, might affect the likes of 40D and 50D though

Think I'd still go with 50D over the 500D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

How to you think it will detract from still picture development?

While I hate all in one devices myself I'm thinking that often while travelling etc. you will have the camera in that one of those slingshots for quick access. You will be able to get access to it quickly for those moments. Only other alternative is a phone camera such as an N95.

Personally I'm not a fan of consumer camcorders...they cost hundreds and still feel like cheap tack. I like to buy quality which would mean a big semi pro camera which your not going to have alot of the time.

I think the video functionality is good for "catching those moments" but it's not going to be a replacement for a proper camcorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lol, for 800stg you can get a bloody 5DmkI. Feck that!

Also, jackdaw, LOL@Can't even make a movie. Are you being serious? Do you really think they shoot 2-3 hour movies in one take? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

While I hate all in one devices myself I'm thinking that often while travelling etc. you will have the camera in that one of those slingshots for quick access. You will be able to get access to it quickly for those moments. Only other alternative is a phone camera such as an N95

Ahem...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030316lumixgh1handson.asp

Plus it's got a stereo mic on the top and a line in for an external microphone. It's more expensive,for now, but a much better video/photo solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Cabaal wrote: »
    I doubt it, might affect the likes of 40D and 50D though

Think I'd still go with 50D over the 500D

Do you mind if I ask you why you'd still choose te 50D over the 500D? I'm sure your right btw but the reason I ask is because I'm very close to upgrading my 400D and was seriously considering a 50D (I feel the 40D is too similar to my 400D to justify the money). When I saw this thread I thought that maybe the 500D is the way to go and then I saw your post.
    Help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

No you're all wrong - it has 15Megapixels so its a must buy :rolleyes:

Here's another post about it;

http://www.1854.eu/2009/03/canons_new_500d_brings_video_t.html

But seriously, don't you just hate the way hard camera controls get sacrificed in favour of soft - menu based - controls typically at the entry level. Real photographers don't use menus or post processing for that matter ;)

Meh, I'd wait for the 600D - bigger numbers = better. Hey wait what about the 1000D, Darn it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Think of it this way, with technology like this being put in to consumer level cameras, what'll be going in to the next generation of pro spec SLR's.

Some people make me think they don't want improvements in technology.

"Oh noes! Video on my SLR?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm looking at the RRP on DPReview

US $799
    €592

Europe €799
    €799

UK £870
    €945

Wonder what that's all about..........

I'm sure it'll be a fine camera, and am amazed at how much technology is getting squeezed into the entry level bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Wonder what that's all about.......... the Yen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Fcek it, I'm waiting/saving up for my Hassy H3DII-50 "with 50 Mpixel 36×48mm (Kodak) sensor, which measures, twice the physical size of the largest 35mm DSLR sensors" !

The Hasselblad H3DII-50

- 300 MB files
    - More creative freedom when
    cropping and altering
    - Incredible enlargement potential
    - Less moiré
    - 1 fps capture rate thanks to
    4-channel read-out structure
    - ISO 50 to ISO 800
    - Receive full potential of optical
    quality of the Hasselblad lens line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just for Covey

US $799
    €592
    Y78500

Europe €799
    €799
    Y10600

UK £870
    €945
    Y125800

duffarama wrote: »
    Ahem...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030316lumixgh1handson.asp

Plus it's got a stereo mic on the top and a line in for an external microphone. It's more expensive,for now, but a much better video/photo solution.

Yeah but it's still a DSLR solution. :p

Think you missed my point there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

landyman wrote: »
    I honestly dont see the point of this camera. To many mp for an apsc sensor. And it will eat into the 40 an 50d sales

Just read the detailed preview and it's basically a replacement for the 450D///
    So by rights it shouldn't really effect the 40D/50D as they are the level above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

If someone wants HD video recording maybe they would be better served with a Canon SX1 IS? It is half the price of the 500D!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091703canon_sx1is_sx10is.asp

I bought my SX1 IS last week for that reason. I wanted a high-end camera with good video capture capabilities. Seems to me to be better value than the 500D for the kind of person that wants that mixture of capabilities. 1080p video capture isn't limited to 20fps either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Whats the general consensus here, does any photographer really find themselves in a moment where they think "damn, i wish i had a camcorder instead of a camera right now" ? [YES I DO] Its all nice and convenient to see every available technology stuck into a single device, but doesn't it detract from development of the still picture specific technologies....personally I reckon theres enough video capable devices out there without sullying DSLRs with it...what does everyone else think?

I'd love a bloody camcorder on my SLR. I don't know what everybody's so pissed off about... go and make movies! Be creative! Jaysus! You should see the POTN forum, already lots of threads giving out.
    jackdaw wrote: »
    Yeah I agree .. while the 1080P video is nice to have on the 5DII ... its really just a gimmick ... I mean you can't make movies on it ... 12 mins is the max length at HD and 29mins at standard def.

Eh.... the longest take in a movie is in Hitchcocks Rope and it's "only" 8mins.... Ever see transporter 2? No take is more than 3 seconds long... You get my drift...

Overblood wrote: »
    I'd love a bloody camcorder on my SLR. I don't know what everybody's so pissed off about... go and make movies! Be creative! Jaysus! You should see the POTN forum, already lots of threads giving out.

Eh.... the longest take in a movie is in Hitchcocks Rope and it's "only" 8mins.... Ever see transporter 2? No take is more than 3 seconds long... You get my drift...

I like DSLR's. I like their shape and I like that they are designed to do one job well. The design philosophy is known as KISS (Keep it simple stupid).

The video feature is good for capturing those moments but I don't want the camcorder feature to become as important as the camera in that the cameras off the future will be camcorder/photo hybrids and the need for seperate devices for each will be eradicated. I don't want all cameras in the future to have shoulder rests and other features that I don't need when taking photos only.

Maybe that's what alot of people are afraid of - DSLR's as we know them changing completely? I want the general look and feel of them to stay the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm looking at the RRP on DPReview

US $799
    €592

Europe €799
    €799

UK £870
    €945

Wonder what that's all about..........

I'm sure it'll be a fine camera, and am amazed at how much technology is getting squeezed into the entry level bodies.

Ireland €1200 just to make it a nice number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Ireland €1200 just to make it a nice number :)

You could buy 2/3 of the ff a900 with that sort of money ffs.

Isn't the canon xxxd series marketed at the beginner users?? Why make it so dear?? For a €900 body thats more in the advanced amatur area? I.e the eos 40/50 area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

The video feature is good for capturing those moments but I don't want the camcorder feature to become as important as the camera in that the cameras off the future will be camcorder/photo hybrids and the need for seperate devices for each will be eradicated.

What do you mean "capturing those moments"? Is that the most creative thing you can think to do with a camera? Capture your granny falling over into a blow up swimming pool in the garden? Come on. Canon has a cool gadget here, you could actually make a decent studenty film!
    I don't want all cameras in the future to have shoulder rests and other features that I don't need when taking photos only.
    Dude how many things can your PC do and you're just surfing the web. And where's the shoulder rest on the 500d you're talking about?
    Maybe that's what alot of people are afraid of - DSLR's as we know them changing completely? I want the general look and feel of them to stay the same.
    Well then you'd better move to some third world place like Mongolia or Leitrim where the tech is a few years behind, cos this is the future baby yyyeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Its just a vicious circle, Nikon brings out video in DSLR > Canon ditto....then one of them brings out a MP4 player>dittto, then etc etc at nauseum !
    >>>consumerism
    But at what point does it cross the border of 'being pointless' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

landyman wrote: »
    You could buy 2/3 of the ff a900 with that sort of money ffs.

Isn't the canon xxxd series marketed at the beginner users?? Why make it so dear?? For a €900 body thats more in the advanced amatur area? I.e the eos 40/50 area?

Yeah agree but canon are one of the top in photoagraphy products and according to leinster man they are top,

Although sony are good they're still climbing up the ladder(getting there though)

and no canon xxxxD range are for beginers,Their xxxD are for better beginners their 5D and xxD are for semi pro user(5D for pros too) and XDs and XD are Pro's,They seems to be having abit of fun trying to cover every possible competitor in the market :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Came into this late. I have the 450D for 12 months now and am very pleased with it. Regarding the video function, I would be one of the ones who like a sepate unit for video and photography.

Having used the Canon XL-2 for video there is really NO comparison. HD or not.

Dude how many things can your PC do and you're just surfing the web. And where's the shoulder rest on the 500d you're talking about?

I use firefox for surfing the web and it works well. I don't really want firefox to be a word processor or a media player aswell.

I never said the 500d had a shoulder rest - I speculated that this is the direction things could be going.
    Well then you'd better move to some third world place like Mongolia or Leitrim where the tech is a few years behind, cos this is the future baby yyyeah!

I'm not sure it is the future. A semi pro or pro camera does the job of taking photographs well. Have you ever seen how big a semi-pro or pro camcorder is - can they really be integrated with all those extra controls - probably yes... but it would be a ridiculous hybrid device that would be quite impractical in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭positron

I don't see anything wrong with adding video to Canon range - youtube is what flickr was, and <10 mins clips are the funniest! :)

Sample of a ISO 12800 shot from dpreview: http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos500d_preview/img_1484_rb.jpg

Photo details
    File name img_1484_rb.jpg (click to download original)
    File size 7293 KB
    Dimensions 4752 x 3168
    Focal length 28.00 mm (45 mm equiv.)
    Sensitivity ISO 12800
    Shutter speed 1/320 sec
    Aperture F8.0
    Exp comp. +0.0 EV
    Notes EF-S 18-55 mm IS

• Advertisement

How to you think it will detract from still picture development?

Simple economics, Canon r+d budget of 100 million canon-dollars (no I haven't a real notion).....so do you want the 100 million spent on still photography technology improvements, or do you want less than 100 million spent on that cause theres now video processing, hardware upgrading for streaming from the sensor at a higher rate, compression work for video format files,user interface work and so on to be worked on. Its not a somewhat nice notion but if I wanted that I'd be a film maker and buy a film camera. I like taking pictures so I bought a camera....if i'm really desperate to capture something in motion i'll use my phone, it'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

17min scene in Hunger. Amazing.

I can't belive people are moaning about extra features...... :rolleyes:

17min scene in Hunger. Amazing.

I can't belive people are moaning about extra features...... :rolleyes:

Nothing in this world comes for free, extra features means less focus on improving existing core features...I'm sure anyone from a project management background or involved in any form of technical project appreciates this, bells and whistles cost too much in the long term to the core focus.

But what more core features could one ask from an entry level camera???

Fajitas! wrote: »
    But what more core features could one ask from an entry level camera???

Not MORE core, but more focus on improving them...if your entry level takes 4 frames per sec max burst, increase that to 5...if the battery life is good for an average 500 pics, increase that to 600...in planning terms some one must sit down and say well we could do that, or we could put a video processor in....hmmmmm

Or put it this way, you have a main camera I assume, is there nothing on it that irritates you and you'd like improved in the next version to replace it? If so sorry its not going to improve, but you'll have a video clip function instead. Happier in the knowledge?

There's more to consider than that though. Companies are going to want to save some features like FPS for their more expensive cameras. They'll include features that can be used by every and anyone, with the better features availible on their more expensive cameras.

There's more to consider than that though. Companies are going to want to save some features like FPS for their more expensive cameras. They'll include features that can be used by every and anyone, with the better features availible on their more expensive cameras.

Then its up to consumers to send a message that hey while we might be getting in at the lower end, we don't wish to be pawned off with extras that have nothing to do with (still) photography, I take your point but the features on the whole range should at least be photography related, leave the moving pictures to the moving pictures people :)

Then its up to consumers to send a message that hey while we might be getting in at the lower end, we don't wish to be pawned off with extras that have nothing to do with (still) photography, I take your point but at least the features on the whole range should at least be photography related, leave the moving pictures to the moving pictures people :)
    I don't agree at all that video should be kept to video cameras. I wouldn't feel pawned off at all getting HD video on an SLR, in fact, it's a reason I would go for it.

I don't agree at all that video should be kept to video cameras. I wouldn't feel pawned off at all getting HD video on an SLR, in fact, it's a reason I would go for it.

Shouldn't you just buy a HD camcorder so, they're cheaper and most have a "still shot" button :)

We'll just have to agree to disagree I think, horses for courses (and still image technology for still image devices!)

It wouldn't be so bad if the video function was fully featured, but on the 5DmkII it's just shoe horned in there and is quite cumbersome to use, you have very little control over any of the settings and you'd need to invest in an external mirphone if you wanted to get any "proper" use out of it. I assume that it will be the same with the 500D.

I don't see why they can't just give the customer the option of having such a big feature or not. Surely they could sell the camera without it and then just offer the video feature as a paid for downloadable firmware update or something.

If I could trade in the video feature on my 5D for a half decent lens, I wouldn't hesitate. I may think differently if the feature was implemented well, but it's not, and I'm still a bit pissed about being semi forced to pay for a feature that I didn't want in the first place and that's crap to boot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement