Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250 metres ethernet cable

Options
  • 25-03-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

My office is about 250 metres from where I can receive Metro from Digiweb (line of sight issues). I can run an external cat 5e all the way through a duct. Around half way I have pwer supply available.

Should I boost the signal half way?
    If so please recommend something relatively cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Even with a signal booster half way your still going to see packetloss fromt eh two 125M cable lengths, do you have Line of sight to the building that has the connection? if so it might be worth looking into a point to point wireless link

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

Point to Points are not an option.

If push came to shove I could cut the 125 metres down by using a second booster.

How long can I go and please recommend booster(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I know the spec is for a max run of 100M but if you've never tried 250M nows the time ;)

I've run a full box of cat5 300M on the off chance that it worked to get an outstation in a factory unit working (wireless was out for various reasons) and it worked. I've also done 200M runs that didn't work (probably due to interference from factory equipment) so all I can say is try it.

Power supply might be a problem, I've not sure you'll have that much success with POE on a run of 125M, but I'm sure someone will advise:). You could however just run a mains lead to the Digiweb box and have a "switch" at the mid point so you then have two 125M runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

Power supply half way is not a problem. I'd just bring through a pump house. I feel I'm losing some speed over the long run and as speeds increase this may get worse. It's less of a problem doing it now than having to do it later on.

Please recommend what to get

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is Metro ADSL? If so just continue the phone line in the duct and put the modem beside your computer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try with the 250m first
    and try manually setting the speed 10/100/1000 full/half duplex of the cards to get most reliablity , have no breaks in the cable so no patch panel. end to end
    then try a switch in the middle

if money is no object fibre is the way to go

If you had old 10Mb cards you could run 180m of BNC cable but probably not worth doing unless you have the cable to hand

If you are splitting the cable then in the middle you need a cheap ethernet switch something like http://cgi.ebay.ie/8-Port-10-100-Mbps-Fast-Ethernet-Switch-Network-LAN_W0QQitemZ290304353503QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL?hash=item290304353503 or http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-Port-10-100Mbps-Fast-Ethernet-Switch-Metal-Case_W0QQitemZ250393260522
    (just quickly found examples from eBay) No need for anything fancy.

If you can get away with it then just use the full 250M as we've already said but if you think its slowing things down best you can do is take a laptop out to the Digiweb box plug straight into it and see if its any better? To be honest if it works its works and I wouldn't want to waste too much time blaming the cable if it sometimes seems slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Dont be messin with switches in the middle of an outdoor cable run..The solution is simple..A VDSL router master and slave and your sorted......(Its like I have a hang up on VDSL gear):D

JohnnieM wrote: »
    Dont be messin with switches in the middle of an outdoor cable run..The solution is simple..A VDSL router master and slave and your sorted......(Its like I have a hang up on VDSL gear):D

So how much and suppliers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

why is point to point WIMAX out of the question? 250m cat5e is a no go really, well thats if you want it to do what it says on the tin... A good wimax point to point will go between a few km and 150km depending whats in its way. I have used it to link buildings in built up areas over 2km and a forest away...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

ttm wrote: »
    So how much and suppliers?

If I remember correctly about €125 each... Any good Comms Company should have or be able to get them.. Pm me for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I CAN HAZ 100Base-FX Multimodez fibrez and Euro Moniez?

Download the pages you need to a USB storage device and then plug that device into the computer 250 metres away

iRock wrote: »
    I CAN HAZ 100Base-FX Multimodez fibrez and Euro Moniez?

Download the pages you need to a USB storage device and then plug that device into the computer 250 metres away

Wouldn't that require TWO computers?

ttm wrote: »
    Wouldn't that require TWO computers?

Firstly... your probably the only one that even considered that idea serious.
    Secondly - no it wouldn't... you could use a laptop... or better still move your desktop between the two locations.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ive tested 240m cable with 10/100 and its failed before. You cant be sure of anything and even if it does work consider the following:

Signal loss etc (you will get fropped data packets)
    you will need outdoor cat5e (expensive)
    To get the best of it you will have to lay it carefully

I still think its a waste of time and effort, one decent radio system will last longer, work better and take less time to install..

You could always try this, people seem to have had the most success with this equipment:

<SNIP>

Try come up with something better than a rick roll :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I believe this is what you need:
    http://www.veracityuk.com/products/outreach/outreach.php
    about 125 euro each I believe.

Alternatively a wireless link will cost you about 200-300 euro (dont necessarily need line of sight).
    I have set up a 400m link which has worked fine with just one antenna but if you want to repeat the signal through your network you will need 2 antenne and two linksys routers (wrt54gl). Total cost 250ish.

iRock wrote: »
    You could always try this, people seem to have had the most success with this equipment:

<SNIP>

Try come up with something better than a rick roll :p

Come on, it was April fools day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

JohnnieM wrote: »

When I clicked on this thread I was going to suggest that - ya beat me to it;-)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

FusionNet wrote: »
    ...one decent radio system will last longer, work better and take less time to install..

Decent radio system could consist of 2 Linksys routers running WRT with directional antennas (prob wouldn't need directional antennas if there was uninterrupted line of sight)
    Prob €150-200 with directional antennas, €100~ without

• Advertisement
Advertisement