Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T900pi is running cold since pump replacement

Options
  • 25-03-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Have just replaced the pump in my power shower, but it runs cold now only. :( Everthing was running fine before the pump burnt out.

Checked continuity on the two Thermal cut-outs, the heating elements and the selector microswitches. All good. (See attached.) The microswitches are actuated by a pressure switch on the flow valve assemby (see attached). The pressure switch definately moves when the shower is running although I don't know if it is closing the microswitches.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

how long have you let it run?
    you need to let it run for about 2 mins .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MPEG2

Have let it run for 2 minutes with the shower head off to provide maximum flow. No joy.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

it must be the element did you put the meter accross it see what your getting .double check the termal safty cut out (no7) had one give trouble before . what's the kw rating ?

ponyirl wrote: »
    it must be the element did you put the meter accross it see what your getting .double check the termal safty cut out (no7) had one give trouble before . what's the kw rating ?

Put the meter across each of the elements and they are fine. Measured the voltage drop across one of the elements in use and it was zero. Pushed the pressure switch with the screw driver and the heaters kicked in, had a 235V drop across the element and there was warm water instantly. The presure switch is just not moving far/hard enough to press the microswitches.

Went to buy a replacement flow valve assembly (which includes the pressure switch) and was assured that they never fail and that I must have an obstuction in the line. So I took the shower off the wall, flushed out the inflow pipe, disassembled all the in line internal piping and found it all to be clear. :confused:

The only thing that's failed is the pump and the only thing that's changed is the pump, so I can only conclude that the pump is just not delivering sufficient pressure to move the actuator sufficiently. (That said the output flow appears to be okay.) What are the chances that the replacement pump is not as powerful as the old one?

BTW - I have checked that it is the right part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Did you try it with the shower head in place - there may not be enough back pressure without the head in place to operate the pressure switch. It's not a flow switch, so maximising flow will not help. If necessary raise the shower head up to it's normal operating height as well.

• Advertisement

Problem solved. :D

Spoke to the supplier (Earthridge, Maynooth) and they kindly offered to check out the whole shower unit for me if I dropped it in. To their surprise (but not mine) they had to replace the replacement pump as this "old pump" had a problem with the spindle.

Fair play to them for not just treating it as my problem only. I would have been stuck with a cold shower and be €70 down (for the original pump) for my trouble.

Thanks to eveyone for your help. I, and everyone who smells me, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Good news, great to hear of good service from suppliers!

Advertisement