Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer Broken

Options
  • 25-03-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I have recently moved into a rented apartment and it looks like the immersion timer is broken. We had lovely hot showers for the first few weeks and then discovered that the immersion has been on 24/7!!

Put it on timer and set the time and the time for the immersion to come on.... nothing. Clock didnt move, no hot water. We've done this twice now so fairly sure that the timer is broken. (we are a couple of clueless girls before anyone starts slagging me!!)

So my question is, what do we do - can we buy another timer and just replace the old one, or do we have to get someone out to repair and install a new one?? If so, does anyone have any good contacts (good: reads cheap!). We are in D4.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scarpetta

Get your landlord to sort out the problem, and in the meantime use the 'on/off' part of the immersion switch to keep your ESB bill real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hi,

So my question is, what do we do - can we buy another timer and just replace the old one, or do we have to get someone out to repair and install a new one?? !

Call the landlord about it. You'd normally need an electrican to change a timer, or a very competent DIYer, but really the landlord should be fixing this

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Angelica Rocks!

we've basically been told to sort it out and send the bill to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

we've basically been told to sort it out and send the bill to the landlord.

Then get an electrician to sort it. That's what the landlord expects by the sound of it. In any case, if I was him I wouldn't encourage DIY on any of the property electrics. Too much chance of fire or damage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the immersion is a big load, and they spark too, so I'd leave it alone, should not cost that much.

It may be the case that the unit is just wired wrong, as in the electrician did not wire the clock/timed element of the clock into the circuit.

A new clock can cost from 40 to 90 euro depending on what you want, so if you get an electrician in , ask him/her to check the wiring first, no point in paying for it twice, keep the bill and pass it on.

expect the labour to be 40 to 60 euro too, but hope for better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement