Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerbil/Hamster

Options
  • 25-03-2009 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

I lost my beautiful Roborovski hammy in September - never wanted to replace him as such, so I am not getting the same breed. I want to know what would be best, hamster or gerbil?

Am wanting one I can play with that doesn't bite. My little Alfie was very nervous and would bite if anyone wanted to hold him, that is if they were lucky enough to get the chance to hold him in the first place! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Gerbils are a lot less inclined to bite, they don't mind being handled and are less nocturnal than hammies.

I noticed several shops are selling Duprasi (breed of gerbil) and these are incredibly tame.

I have lost count of the number of hamster bites I've had and only once has a gerbil bitten me. I bred all sorts of rodents down the years and I don't recommend hammies if you want a pet you can handle.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Janey Mac

Hi,

I have 2 gerbils who are incredibly tame. Apart from a couple of exploratory bites when they were 'finding out' what i was they never bite at all. i can take them out, play with them and they'll happily sit on my shoulder etc

I don't know if you've seen my other post, but i'm currently looking to re-home a couple of baby gerbils (no charge). Unlike hamsters, gerbils have to live in pairs, being extremely sociable. Also hamster cages are not the best for gerbils, as they love to burrow, so your best to either convert an old fish tank or else look into getting a Savic Habitat. Other than that, they're extremely easy to look after, and very cute and interactive :)!

PM me if you would like more info...!

I have two litters of pet mice which will be available for rehoming in two weeks - you could consider a mouse or a rat either? Rats make brilliant pets, you can carry them on your shoulder and let them wander inside the house without danger of them going missing. I used carry a mouse in my pocket all the time in college...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

Thanks for your replies!

Janey Mac, I am assuming you are in Ireland but I am in the UK, otherwise I would have jumped at it! :D

Saying that though, I had a gerbil as a young girl and he bit, probably because I was an annoying child but there you go! :D

I was actually looking at Syrian hamsters but they get quite big don't they? I have Crittertrail cages from my last hammy but I don't want my new hammy getting trapped in the tubes :eek: also I would prefer not to use Alfies cages really for sentimental reasons.

Would a basic plastic base and wire cage being suitable, maybe with stairs or something???

Think Syrians are meant to be tame providing you handle them regularly but they are always asleep aren't they?!

I have two litters of pet mice which will be available for rehoming in two weeks - you could consider a mouse or a rat either? Rats make brilliant pets, you can carry them on your shoulder and let them wander inside the house without danger of them going missing. I used carry a mouse in my pocket all the time in college...

Don't think my boyfriend would appreciate mice and rats but I would have considered them, think I am pushing it with another hamster to be honest, he kept him awake running on his wheel all night! :D

• Advertisement

bubblewrap wrote: »
    he kept him awake running on his wheel all night! :D

Running in a wheel? Must be a big wheel if he kept the hamster awake...

Gerbils like I said are less nocturnal and I'd highly recommend one.

Haha!!

I know it sounds mean but I think the hamsters are cuter, is that cruel? :o

Don't get me wrong, I love gerbils but I also love the fat squidgyness of Syrians! :D

Look at the long haired ones! :eek::D
    hp_ara3.jpg

I want one like this though! :D
    strong-hamster-small.jpg

Advertisement