Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Maps

• 25-03-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

anybody know best place to download these for donegal areas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

weiss wrote: »
    anybody know best place to download these for donegal areas?

Is this for a sat nav? The only place (AFAIK) to get these maps is from the manufacturer's website or from a supplier. They are expensive. Updated maps for my Garmin Nuvi will cost me about €80. I'm still managing with old ones - not much changes on Donegal roads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Depends on what you want to run the GPS maps on. If it was a laptop, smart phone or hand-held organiser you could get the google maps (earth) program for free. This can work with a gps receiver, giving good maps without the expense. But i dont know how well it works for navigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

i would like them for a garmin etrex, to hike around donegal mountains.

there is a plugin from garmin which allows downloading maps from google to gps device, unfortunately these are only maps from certain countries, ireland excluded :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

weiss wrote: »
    i would like them for a garmin etrex, to hike around donegal mountains.

there is a plugin from garmin which allows downloading maps from google to gps device, unfortunately these are only maps from certain countries, ireland excluded :(

Have you tried the GPS forum here on Boards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=889 - Experts there might be able to help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Your best bet is to check out this web site

http://mountainviews.ie/

Think its run by a Donegal man (I could be wrong) he also runs this site which is usefull, its got a FAQ section where he deals with GPS units and Maps.

http://www.simonstewart.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

buy a map, learn how to use a compass, quite useful up here unless you plan on ringing the mountain rescue when batteries run out

i'll try the GPS forum then.
    buy a map, learn how to use a compass..

:D the GPS is only for recording a track log, so its possible to create a visual recording of the paths taken.

i have no plans to ring mountain rescue even when batteries run out, i'll just go home :P

i'll let you off then so

you work for mountain rescue, ednwireland?
    or just assume everyone that uses a gps can't find their way around donegal?

no, used to be slightly involved and know a lot of people that are, nothing wrong with gps's but you have to be aware of their limitations - seen em 100m out as well which really bothers me - could be over the cliff tend to cross ref with a map, except last w/e when i was told i was backup leader no map ,gps nothing lucky it was a short walk !
    mind not sure where you gonna find these paths though (see my sig) i never seem to be on one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement