Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting broadband without line rental

Options
  • 25-03-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get landline broadband without phonecalls/line rental? Been looking into it and its very expensive to get when you have to get line rental/calls etc? Perhaps im better off staying with three.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can't really get ADSL Broadband in Ireland without line rental,

However you can get packages from Smart (LLU only) where line rental is cheaper or you can get a BT Business line and do a ULMP unbundle where your line will only be data only so you don't pay line rental but this is also LLU only.

Basically unless your in a LLU area forget about it as you'll still need to pay line rental for a PSTN line, even if you are in a LLU area you still kind of pay line rental

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

snaps wrote: »
    Is it possible to get landline broadband without phonecalls/line rental? Been looking into it and its very expensive to get when you have to get line rental/calls etc? Perhaps im better off staying with three.

Better off with three? Are you sure? What kind of speed are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Speed is not an issue with three where i live, mornings can be very fast and evenings well, so so.

snaps wrote: »
    Speed is not an issue with three where i live, mornings can be very fast and evenings well, so so.

In all honesty Mayo customers would not have a huge amount of choice for BB so i would imagine you would only get Eircom for DSL and as far as i know UPC dont have services in Mayo (unless they have lit the MAN in the area).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rorser wrote: »
    (unless they have lit the MAN in the area).
    [sarc]Yeah! Fight the MAN![/sarc]

OP: Check http://www.upc.ie/internet/ and see does it give you a time frame, I suppose. Most likely none, but no harm in trying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In all honesty Mayo customers would not have a huge amount of choice for BB so i would imagine you would only get Eircom for DSL ..........<SNIP>.

Well more correctly Eircom and its resellers like BT, UTV etc, bottom line is you'd still need a PSTN line though..,.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well more correctly Eircom and its resellers like BT, UTV etc, bottom line is you'd still need a PSTN line though..,.

Fair point, your right......dont forget snaps could also get Magnet as a reseller;)

In all honesty Mayo customers would not have a huge amount of choice for BB so i would imagine you would only get Eircom for DSL ..........<SNIP>.

Advertisement