Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service Gratuity to be taxed at 17%?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

This is their chance to make the PS much more efficient. There should definitely not be an embargo on promotions. If a needed HEO retires, and there are no other HEO's available, then time for some competition. Fine, don't hire anyone from the outside, keep it in-house.

What happened during the last embargo was extremely detrimental to the psyche of those working in the public sector, the government, as our managers, should be ensuring that that doesn't happen.

Anyway, that's a discussion for another day/another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Well obviously nobody knows for sure. Least of all on boards.

However I would not be against such a plan. Certainly if I was to introduce it, I would announce it's commencement in 6 months to allow it to act as an inducement to retire for top of scales employees.

Voluntary redundancies, early retirement, part-time, non-renewal of contracts etc. That is how all companies reduce their staff bills fairly at low cost. The governement shouldnt be seen to do anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Drive to work, hang up jacket, moan, appear some way busy, visit canteen, shuffle A4, threaten to strike, "application denied - NEXT!", demand your rights, hire 19 consultants to do your job, drive home.

Repeat until aged 65 years, get cake and massive, grossly inflated, utterly undeserved, archaic bonus swiped from the multiple payslips of actual workers - disappear.

And to any of you who keep repeating the mantra that "Anyone could have gone through the application process and joined up" etc. - Anyone could be a serial killer - but that doesn't make it right......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Raiser wrote: »
    Drive to work, hang up jacket, moan, appear some way busy, visit canteen, shuffle A4, threaten to strike, "application denied - NEXT!", demand your rights, hire 19 consultants to do your job, drive home.

Repeat until aged 65 years, get cake and massive, grossly inflated, utterly undeserved, archaic bonus swiped from the multiple payslips of actual workers - disappear.

And to any of you who keep repeating the mantra that "Anyone could have gone through the application process and joined up" etc. - Anyone could be a serial killer - but that doesn't make it right......

So you're likening civil servants to serial killers.....well that just says it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭White dargo

What a load of rubbish.

Most public servants retire at 60:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

hire 19 consultants to do your job,

I think it is the government that demands the hiring of consultants for work that the civil service/public sector could do.
    It (like setting up quangos) is a way to make sure the buck doesn't stop on the minister's desk [until the've vacated it].
    "Anyone could have gone through the application process and joined up" etc. - Anyone could be a serial killer - but that doesn't make it right......

:pac: stop the lights, i've seen it all!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What a load of rubbish.

Most public servants retire at 60:P

I am glad for you, becuase most of the private sector workers I know (including myself) are probably going to be still working at seventy, since we don't have a defined benefit pension paid for by all the workers in the state.
    Ours are shot to sh** thanks to way companies and governments allowed the financial markets to be run.
    Neither do we get 1.5 annual salary taxed or untaxed, we'll probably get a few drinks down the pub and little pressie that are colleagues chipped in for.

Oh and before one more public sector apologist or employee states the bank executives as a f***ing example of how private sector do bonuses, then I would like to ask them what percentage of the total private sector worker numbers are made up of top executives in banks or in other large companies for that matter ?
    Coming out with that nonsense is like a private sector worker claiming all state employees get to fly to work in an army helicopter :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jmayo wrote: »
    I am glad for you, becuase most of the private sector workers I know (including myself) are probably going to be still working at seventy, since we don't have a defined benefit pension paid for by all the workers in the state.
    Ours are shot to sh** thanks to way companies and governments allowed the financial markets to be run.
    Neither do we get 1.5 annual salary taxed or untaxed, we'll probably get a few drinks down the pub and little pressie that are colleagues chipped in for.

Oh and before one more public sector apologist or employee states the bank executives as a f***ing example of how private sector do bonuses, then I would like to ask them what percentage of the total private sector worker numbers are made up of top executives in banks or in other large companies for that matter ?
    Coming out with that nonsense is like a private sector worker claiming all state employees get to fly to work in an army helicopter :rolleyes:

do you understand sarcasim? (sp)

i really think the post your quoting is slagging the PS, because i know my minimum age of retirement in the PS is 65.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

kceire wrote: »
    do you understand sarcasim? (sp)

i really think the post your quoting is slagging the PS, because i know my minimum age of retirement in the PS is 65.

kceire, you can't win with some "people" here. They hate the public service because they're jealous of the benefits, but they don't want to ever work for the public service because they know they'll never get rich and they think it would be too boring and beneath them. There's no point in arguing with them.

Advertisement