Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budapest vs. Venice - Experience of both preferable?

• 25-03-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Hi all, thanks for reading the post, any help at all is appreciated.

My gf's 21st is in a few weeks and she has some big exams coming up in May, after which she has said she'd love to "destress" abroad. I took this as a hint that a clever thing to do would be to bring her away for a weekend, somewhere on the continent.
    I originally had a shortlist of places neither of us has been that I think we would both like. They were Budapest, Vienna, Kraków and Venice. Budapest and Venice have survived my initial investigations, so now I'm wondering has anybody been to both and could they deliver a short list of pros/cons of each or which would be suited to a couple in their early 20s for a weekend away.
    At the minute I'm slightly in favour of Budapest over Venice myself, for the simple reason that it sounds a bit less cliché and we're going out less than 6 months, a trip to Venice could be a bit too lovey-dovey, but I've asked a close female friend and she was slightly in favour of Venice.

PS. I'm not averse to recommendations on the other two (Vienna and Kraków) either!

Apologies to the Mods if this doesn't belong in "Things To Do In..." but I figured it wasn't really for PI-RI, and I need travel based knowledge so it was either here or in Travel Reviews. I need comparative analysis between 2 or more cities though so I thought this would be the right forum for the thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would be in favour of Venice too, although I never been to Budapest. It is indeed very nice and it doesn't matter how long you're going out, Venice is Venice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Thanks Biko, much appreciated. I know the fact that it's Italy and there are canals, gondolas, good food and sunshine are big draws. :) I'm just not sure how it would be received. The romantic connotations of all of the above could be a little too much too soon. Budapest sounds a bit more wild and adventurous. But I'm really still 50-50 at the minute.

She's not the lovey-dovey type - she'd have cringed at the thought of a Valentine's card 6 weeks ago, so I went armed with a single rose and it made her day. This immediately eliminated Paris and Rome from shortlisting. Vienna probably comes third on any such list of cities in Europe, which is the main reason I scratched it, while I've read a thread in the reviews forum about how Kraków can be a chancy spot for groups of men, so I wouldn't want to bring her into that sort of danger when I've noone to cover my back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Just got back from Budapest 2 weeks ago. And it was a choice between Venice and Budapest for us too.

Budapest is a lovely city, very cheap, with plenty of things to do and see.

Though I'd still like to see Venice someday too:p

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I'll explain where things stand at the minute:
    I've asked a few close friends, male and female, which they'd prefer, and all the lads opt for Budapest while the girls all say Venice. Only one person has been to either, she was in Venice last year and said it's not to be missed.
    At the minute I'm thinking that because I'm getting it for my gf, I'd best side with the ladies, as it seems Budapest ony has a good image among lads. God only knows why, maybe Hungarian beer/women? Maybe the women see Budapest as a cheapskate's choice, whatwith €1 = 3 billion forint or something like that. :rolleyes:
    Nobody I've asked has been to both though, I'm hoping someone in the world of boards might have been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Haven't been to both sorry! But have been to Budapest twice and not to Venice and I'd still prefer Venice :p Not crazy about Budapest at all although I know lots of people love it.

Have also been to Krakow and Vienna and loved Krakow, was only in Vienna for a day. Dunno about 'groups of men' as Krakow was grand when I was there in 2003. Although it has got more popular for stag parties I guess. Still not a good enough reason to miss it though!

• Advertisement

missmatty wrote: »
    Haven't been to both sorry! But have been to Budapest twice and not to Venice and I'd still prefer Venice :p Not crazy about Budapest at all although I know lots of people love it

That's enough in favour of Venice to convince me. I'm guessing from your username that you're female too, missmatty?
    Unless there's a landslide in favour of Budapest over the next few hours I think I'll be booking flights to Venice tonight. Guess Budapest will have to wait for a stag/lads weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jelly4

I've been to Budapest, Venice and Krakow. Out of the 3 I would pick Venice. Its crowed, its touristy, its packed, its expensive and it smells but I just thought it was a fantastic place! I loved that there are no cars or roads and that you can get lost in the narrow streets and alley ways.

I found Budapest to be just as expenisve as here. Its a lovely city though +
    its easy to get around. We stayed in a beautiful hotel called the hotel Corinthia - its really was gorgeous....

Krakow is a lovely place + I found it pretty cheap. We stayed at the Radisson which is right beside the main square. Theres lots to see in Krakow. The centre has interesting architecture + theres plenty to see and do. If you want to venture out side the city there is the amazing salt mines and Auschwitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Hi
    I've been to Budapest and Venice and would choose Venice over Budapest. If you girlfriend is looking for a destressing break Venice is the place to be! Its not as crowded or expensive as people say at all. Its like being in a different world and I gaurantee you that your girlfriend will love it! I've been back twice and cant wait to go again! Hope this helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've been to both. Venice is definitely more expensive out of the 2. Both are really nice cities though. I'd pick Venice for the same reason as above,more relaxing.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, it's very much appreciated. I've booked Venice for 3 nights...
    Has anyone any experience of reasonable hotels in the city proper that afford some form of luxury and comfort? I'm not looking for a balcony with a diving board into the Grand Canal, just a decent spot with a bit of character and relatively good location that won't cost an arm and a leg.
    Any names of places you've stayed or even just websites that could help me with my queries? ~€100 on accommodation per night would be ideal, but a double room in anything from a 3 star upwards seems to cost €180 or more per night.
    Sorry, I'm new to the booking hotels game, just hoping for some experienced heads to guide me!

Sorry to the mods if this may be going away from things to do in Venice, it may be more things to do about Venice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Howdy,
    I have been to all 4 locations and for a romantic break break Venice would be my choice. If cost is important then I would stay on the mainland in Mestre (I think) which is only minutes away from Venice.
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

I've been to both and I'd have to say go to Venice. There's something there for everyone, the one thing I thought when I was there was that it was almost artificially beautiful (i.e. not like any other city I've seen). There is amazing architecture, the main place where the church is is stunning, also there are great views from some of the bridges. There's also a Guggenheim museum.

As a destination for a couple to go for a few days Venice wins hands down in my book. Budapest might be a little less cliche but you would probably enjoy Venice more, Budapest is an ex soviet capital after all.

shít just saw that you took Venice in the end:) enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Ive been to both... Venice is the spot... make sure to take a boat trip or 2.. you'll never forget your first visit, Ive been back twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Don't bother with the Gondolla's as they are way over priced. I found that the public boat transport was good and it's nice to large it up with the locals.

Bridge of Sighs and Rialto Bridge with the gardens nearby are lovely also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Been to all 4 cities and i would say venice. You have to go there at least once in your life. It is a surreal experience & so romantic. Budapest would be much cheaper & is a nice city too but my first choice would definetely be venice. We arrived there on a summer night in june at 11pm & it was just so magical. Krakow is nice too but was not as keen on vienna at all for some reason!

Many thanks to all who have contributed and provided tips and advice on any of the four cities I mentioned in the OP. I've since gone ahead and booked flights to Venice (about a fortnight ago) and last night I finally found a pretty good apartment near St. Mark's. Flights and accommodation sorted at last, the latter cost a small fortune (I'm a student on a year out in part-time employment! :rolleyes:), but I'm really looking forward to it now, and I reckon it'll be worth it all going by what I've heard.

Now for general tips on things to do in Venice. If there's an existing thread on this forgive me!
    - I've heard the gondolas are overpriced, but are they worth it? Personally, I can imagine myself regretting not doing it, because in fairness the only other place I can feed gondolas is Blessington Lake :D
    - Any hidden tourist gems?
    - Any good quality restaurants off the beaten track?
    - Anything worth seeing in either Mestre or Lido? Particularly the latter, are the beaches worth doing?

We have 3 days in Venice booked now for the end of May, really looking forward to it and hope she likes the pressie when I tell her next Friday! Any tips on Venice are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement