Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Photo Printer to buy?

• 25-03-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I am considering buying a new printer when I next go shopping to Enniskillen or maybe even buy it online. I have had a lexmark printer for the last couple of years but dont get much use out of it due to the price of the cartridges (Cartridge no 2)

I want it to mainly print photos so was wondering if somebody here could tell me the best model to get in terms of value for money for the ink cartridges for it. I have around 200 euro to spend on the printer but want to make sure that I get value for money (price of ink cartridges and paper v getting the photos printed from a memory card in a shop) when it comes to printing out photos.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I dont have a photo printer to recommend to you. Many of the people in the photography forum are very knowledgeable on these matters and could probably offer good advice.

My own opinion would be that, for regular 6x4 or 7x5 type photographic prints, few if any home printers when used with quality papers and inks can compete with the price and quality of (most) shop/online prints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I use a Canon Pixma IP 4500 and find it produces great quality photographs , however this model is now discontinued and has been replaced with the IP 4600 which you can get for under €100 , the most expensive part of printing as you know is the price of the print cartridges and the orignal canon cartridges are fairly long lasting , the colour cartridges(cyan, magenta and yellow) for the 4600 are around €10 each and the two black carts are around €12 and €14 each,

Now IF you are prepared to get your hands dirty and refill the carts yourself with good quality ink you can really save a lot of money , below is a link to a forum that deals with printers (mainly Canon ) with lots of good tips about info about refilling ,

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I agree concerniing the Canon, my wife, who is a professional photographer, uses it all the time to check final proofs before sending out.

On the cartridges - it is a bummer, like the blades for razors. I have used a French outfit called rue du consommable for the Canon cartridges, a complete set of orginal Canon ones for €30.80. Not sure what they charge for delivery.

Advertisement