Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernard Matthews Mini Kievs...anywhere in Sligo

Options
  • 25-03-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I know it's an odd thing to ask, I used to be able to buy them in Tesco but they haven't had them in years.
    Anyone know of a shop in Sligo that sells them please? Or does Tesco in Carrick have them?

I have tried all the Supervalu's also tried Dunnes and no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

I bought them in Enniskillen at Iceland but i dont know where you can find them in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,896 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oooohh.. they bring back memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I hear that Bernard Matthews "Battered Turkeys" are quite popular. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They are lovely, wish they did have them in Sligo.
    Not going to Enniskillen for them.

Any Sligo retailer on here?? I want mini kievs:D;)

The "Battered Turkeys" comment was supposed to be ironic - nobody remember the big scandal (the one of many big scandals) at a Bernard Matthews turkey factory, where employees were caught on film, using live turkeys as footballs whilst having a "kick about".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

The "Battered Turkeys" comment was supposed to be ironic - nobody remember the big scandal (the one of many big scandals) at a Bernard Matthews turkey factory, where employees were caught on film, using live turkeys as footballs whilst having a "kick about".
    :eek: Puts another spin on battery farming. :D
    World cup qualifiers have alot to answer for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

They sell mini kievs in Christies on MCR/Pearse Road. They may be Green Isle though - the husband's super-memory has failed me.

tuppence wrote: »
    :eek: Puts another spin on battery farming. :D
    World cup qualifiers have alot to answer for too.

I think that putting a "spin" on the poor turkeys was the problem!

Anyway, if people wanna eat processed sh*te from a company that had an outbreak of bird flu in it's factory only 18 months ago, a company that invented the "turkey twizzler" and a company that uses processed chicken & ham imported from all over the world & sells it off as "british", then who am I to complain?

Though, in the time it took to get a reply to the original question, you could've whipped up some home produced free range chicken kievs of your own. Just a thought. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think that putting a "spin" on the poor turkeys was the problem!

Anyway, if people wanna eat processed sh*te from a company that had an outbreak of bird flu in it's factory only 18 months ago, a company that invented the "turkey twizzler" and a company that uses processed chicken & ham imported from all over the world & sells it off as "british", then who am I to complain?

Though, in the time it took to get a reply to the original question, you could've whipped up some home produced free range chicken kievs of your own. Just a thought. ;)

If you try, I'm sure you could be a little more patronising. Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

Yep Magnumlady, I think I've seen them in Christies too.

If you try, I'm sure you could be a little more patronising. Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

I'm on medication - the penecillin's gone straight to me head. :D

• Advertisement

I'm on medication - the penecillin's gone straight to me head. :D

It's more than penicillin you need...

It's more than penicillin you need...

Have you got anything stronger? I'll pay top dollar. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

don't make ME get patronising now :)

Apologies. He winds me up. Then he makes me laugh. The worst kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

'tis ok. It's just the mod hat makes my head itch.

Nit comb my friend, its the only way.

Erm, Kievs are lovely.

Thanks so much, will be off to Christies soon.

Thanks for the lecture....just what I needed.:rolleyes:
    Home made ones don't taste the same...the 'E' numbers are missing.

If they have them in Christies magnum, let me know!

Might pick some up myself.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thanks so much, will be off to Christies soon.

Thanks for the lecture....just what I needed.:rolleyes:
    Home made ones don't taste the same...the 'E' numbers are missing.

Here's a great tip on improving the nutritional value of the Mini Kievs. The former nanny to Katie Price (aka Jordan) and Peter Andre’s children, Becky Gauld, expressed particular concern for Jordan’s oldest son, Harvey, who is autistic, blind, and suffers from a thyroid disorder.

Jordan has blamed her son’s weight problems on him hating vegetables, saying: “The doctors told me, ‘If he doesn’t go on a diet he could die’. I said, ‘I’m telling you now, he will not eat vegetables. He only wants to eat chicken nuggets or anything with potato’.”

But Becky said, “That is total rubbish, he WOULD eat vegetables - you just had to have patience and you had to hide them.

“I used to give him Bernard Matthews mini kievs and hide green beans inside."

Chavtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Here's a great tip on improving the nutritional value of the Mini Kievs. The former nanny to Katie Price (aka Jordan) and Peter Andre’s children, Becky Gauld, expressed particular concern for Jordan’s oldest son, Harvey, who is autistic, blind, and suffers from a thyroid disorder.

Jordan has blamed her son’s weight problems on him hating vegetables, saying: “The doctors told me, ‘If he doesn’t go on a diet he could die’. I said, ‘I’m telling you now, he will not eat vegetables. He only wants to eat chicken nuggets or anything with potato’.”

But Becky said, “That is total rubbish, he WOULD eat vegetables - you just had to have patience and you had to hide them.

“I used to give him Bernard Matthews mini kievs and hide green beans inside."

Chavtastic!

LOL Your just full of knowledge you!

• Advertisement

No luck on the mini kievs:(
    Christie's haven't been able to get them for the last month.

Yeah, was in Christies about 6pm and had a look for them too.

None!

Sounds like starbelgrades way is a lot quicker and tastier!!

Serves 4
    Ingredients

* 100ml milk
    * 2 tbsp plain flour
    * salt and freshly ground pepper
    * 1 egg, beaten
    * 150g dried white breadcrumbs
    * 4 skinless chicken breasts, with fillets
    * sunflower or groundnut oil for deep-frying

For the garlic butter

* 100g unsalted butter, softened
    * 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    * 1 heaped tbsp finely chopped parsley
    * 1 tsp lemon juice

Method: How to make chicken kievs recipe

1. Begin by making the garlic butter. Mix all the ingredients together really well, then form into a neat pat and chill or freeze until hard.

2. When you’re ready to assemble the kievs, put the milk in a shallow dish, season the flour and put on a plate, put the beaten egg in another dish, and finally put the breadcrumbs on a plate.

3. With a very sharp knife, carefully slit each chicken breast along one side, down almost the whole length, parallel to the grain of the meat, to a depth of about 4cm. Give the thick part of the breast a few firm bashes with a rolling pin to flatten and spread it a little. This helps reduce the cooking time. Slice the hard garlic butter into four pieces and put one inside each chicken breast – cutting the butter to fit the hole if necessary. Use the fillets to close up the breasts.
    chicken kievs

4. Carefully dip each stuffed breast in milk, then flour, then egg. Finally, give it a good coating of breadcrumbs. If you have time, chill the kievs for half an hour, then repeat the egg and breadcrumb coating to give a double layer. This makes it particularly hard for any garlic butter to escape, and gives you an extra crisp finish.

5. The breasts need to be fried fairly gently if they are to cook through before the breadcrumbs burn. Heat your oil to 160C in a large sauce pan or deep fat fryer. Fry the kievs, turning occasionally and very carefully, for 12 minutes at least – 15 if you can get away with it – until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately.

And if your kids don't like veg, just hide some in with the sauce. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Serves 4
    Ingredients

* 100ml milk
    * 2 tbsp plain flour
    * 1 egg, beaten

For the garlic butter

* 1 tsp lemon juice

1. Begin by making the garlic butter. Mix all the ingredients together really well, then form into a neat pat and chill or freeze until hard.

2. When you’re ready to assemble the kievs, put the milk in a shallow dish, season the flour and put on a plate, put the beaten egg in another dish, and finally put the breadcrumbs on a plate.

3. With a very sharp knife, carefully slit each chicken breast along one side, down almost the whole length, parallel to the grain of the meat, to a depth of about 4cm. Give the thick part of the breast a few firm bashes with a rolling pin to flatten and spread it a little. This helps reduce the cooking time. Slice the hard garlic butter into four pieces and put one inside each chicken breast – cutting the butter to fit the hole if necessary. Use the fillets to close up the breasts.
    chicken kievs

4. Carefully dip each stuffed breast in milk, then flour, then egg. Finally, give it a good coating of breadcrumbs. If you have time, chill the kievs for half an hour, then repeat the egg and breadcrumb coating to give a double layer. This makes it particularly hard for any garlic butter to escape, and gives you an extra crisp finish.

5. The breasts need to be fried fairly gently if they are to cook through before the breadcrumbs burn. Heat your oil to 160C in a large sauce pan or deep fat fryer. Fry the kievs, turning occasionally and very carefully, for 12 minutes at least – 15 if you can get away with it – until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately.

Idea!! Can we sticky a recipe swap?

Serves 4
    Ingredients

* 100ml milk
    * 2 tbsp plain flour
    * 1 egg, beaten

For the garlic butter

* 1 tsp lemon juice

chicken kievs

I thought you need tjernobyl chicken for a chicken kiev? Sounds much better then your ready made cr*p! We will try it next week and let you all know how it went and tasted. Our wee one loves cooking and eating just like daddy!

The key to getting these right is the temperature of the oil. A cooking thermometer is a great investment.

The key to getting these right is the temperature of the oil. A cooking thermometer is a great investment.

We got one and are not afraid to use it! Let you know how they turned out, thanks in advance.

Ps. See, I type with my fingertips now!!

.... Ok Mrs.T is here to correct me as well. (Since she is not divorcing me after the 3-0 win of Holland over Scotland, but we're not dwelling on that.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Why? because he points out what rubbish Bernard Matthews' products are? Try your friendly local butcher who will have similar, if not better, Kievs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 DIL-Z

The garlic nuggets in the happy eater are the same as the mini kiev's:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement