Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best places to buy car tyres?

Options
  • 25-03-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    Im looking 2 car tyres-where is the best places to buy them with fitting?
    I dont want to spend too much.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I always find Regan's Tyre Centre in Rathcormac good.

Heading there tomorrow myself.

This may be anti-sligo but I hear that they are a fraction the cost in Enniskillen if your willing to travel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Quick-fit, just up from Argos, are reasonably priced & will do them while you wait.

Gillie wrote: »

This may be anti-sligo but I hear that they are a fraction the cost in Enniskillen if your willing to travel!

The problem with buying tyres in the North is that they tend to slide more on southern roads - It's something to do with the conversion from miles to kilometres. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Could be something near Sligo. I want to buy in Enniskillen but if here is similar price there is no sense to go there.
    Can U check price tyres 175/65/r14 brand fulda or kumho etc?

devil-80 wrote: »
    Could be something near Sligo. I want to buy in Enniskillen but if here is similar price there is no sense to go there.
    Can U check price tyres 175/65/r14 brand fulda or kumho etc?

??? I just ask for tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Modern tyres Enniskillen, the cheapest around and you can do your shopping there straight away. On a cheap tyre we saved 20 euro per tyre and for the more expensive once for my other car over 40 euro per tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I would second Regan's in Rathcormac; good service and a sound guy too. By all means price tires in Enniskillen but driving 40 miles there and back for two tires. Would it really be worth it? I'd suggest pricing around Sligo first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was just going to ask the same, I need four new tyres.
    Not going to Enniskillen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I need two new tyres,mine are as bald as possible its now actually dangerous and has been for the past month or so but I can't afford to buy them.
    I bought one last July and it cost me €115:eek: Definitely not paying that again.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I need two new tyres,mine are as bald as possible its now actually dangerous and has been for the past month or so but I can't afford to buy them.
    I bought one last July and it cost me €115:eek: Definitely not paying that again.

Buying one tyre at a time isn't usually a good idea!

• Advertisement

Why not?
    It was only one I needed so why buy two?

Buying one tyre at a time isn't usually a good idea!

He coulda had a puncture!

Why not?
    It was only one I needed so why buy two?

Because of the thread depths.. they should be similar on either side. Generally, if you change one tyre, you should change both. And always stick the new tyres on the front & put the older ones on the back (presuming it's a front wheel drive).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Buy the tyres Bobcar, even if you have to pay Halford's prices. I put off getting mine and wound up hurtling into a ditch + tree. It's not worth it, trust me.

fozzle wrote: »
    Buy the tyres Bobcar, even if you have to pay Halford's prices. I put off getting mine and wound up hurtling into a ditch + tree. It's not worth it, trust me.

He drives an Opel Corsa - it's more likely to roll into a ditch than "hurtle" into one. :D:D:D

Oh no I don't!

Oh no I don't!

Oops! Sorry bought that.

Oh no I don't!

Did you get a merc when you became mod?
    (You used to be one of us!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

A merc? He wishes. *points and laughs at the Citroen*

@ darealtulip do they fit for free in modern tyre?

• Advertisement

devil-80 wrote: »
    @ darealtulip do they fit for free in modern tyre?

yes they do. you can call them first.

http://www.4ni.co.uk/tradesmandirectory/18011x888x36/modern-tyre-service-enniskillen.htm

change the 028 for 048 and you call at local cost so you even save at the call. I get all my tyres from them, even for my motorbike. They where half price from what the bike shop around town were asking!! and that was before the drop of the sterling.

They do retail and fit and balance. Easy to find aswell.

I got my car tyres today, phoned the lot of them in Sligo and the cheapest was Quinn fix in Carraroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

magnumlady wrote: »
    I got my car tyres today, phoned the lot of them in Sligo and the cheapest was Quinn fix in Carraroe.

I haven't even driven my car yet, and I need two new tyres. May I ask how much yours were ML?

Mine were 60 euro each plus 3 euro each for disposal of the old ones.
    I phoned 3 others and was quoted 65, 70 and 75.
    I could have got them up North for £45 each, but didn't want to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Gillie wrote: »

Beware!
    I bought tyres in Regans, thought the tread looked a bit odd and checked with my friendly Derry dealer. He said they were budget tyres, nothing wrong with them but they would not last as long as standard tyre. I did not ask for budget tyres, was not told that they were budget tyres but got them anyway.
    I have a heavy car and do a fair mileage, now buy all tyres in the North.
    Unpatriotic? up yours Mr Lenihan. :mad:

I bought mine for 85 pounds with everything. The brand of tires is Firestone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Essexboy wrote: »
    He said they were budget tyres, nothing wrong with them but they would not last as long as standard tyre.
    The fellow from Derry would say that, would he not ? I have no connection with Regans or the tyre trade but I would be equally suspicious of someone from Derry selling sub-standard tyres than someone from Sligo. You should verify the type / make of tyre from each before coming to conclusions.

jimmmy wrote: »
    The fellow from Derry would say that, would he not ? I have no connection with Regans or the tyre trade but I would be equally suspicious of someone from Derry selling sub-standard tyres than someone from Sligo. You should verify the type / make of tyre from each before coming to conclusions.

I had twice here that they put b brand tyres on my car without telling me, once at the Quay and once at the pearse road one. Modern tyres are alway giving me what I ask for for a lot less then any of the sligo once (the b tyres were even dearer!!!)

I find customer service up north far better, people here are not interested or don't care half of time at most shops. They rather let you walk away then do a deal, I never get any discount anywhere here that is what chased me up north in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Shop away in the North. If you think you will not pay extra by way of extra taxes and higher unemployment figures, you've the head buried in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

let's not get off topic here, folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement