Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen and 'those pictures'

Options
  • 25-03-2009 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I saw on the BBC the following , which apparently was also carried by RTE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7960997.stm

Then last night RTE apologised for carrying the story !!

WTF, have I just woken up in China/North Korea or something. Is it now wrong for the national broadcaster to carry a news story ?

This is a news story , the pictures ' appeared ' in the gallery , and that is news . The fact that Brian Cowen was the subject of those pictures made them even more newsworthy.

Perhaps if Brian Cowen's office spent more time trying to run the country rather than protect his feelings ( poor love ) then we might be getting somewhere !

What do other people think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Why are the Gardai investigating this matter?

It is not a crime to hang a painting.

How many days / guards have been involved with this 'investigation'

Surely this is an absolute and utter waste of resources?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5971027.ece

Davidth88 wrote: »
    WTF, have I just woken up in China/North Korea or something.

no, not just woken up, similar to China / N.Korea we have have had pretty much one party government from the start of the state

'jaysus lads, manage the image, fcuk the nation'

They have bankrupted Ireland yet FF still hold 25% of the vote according to surveys...... their vote is probably even higher within the secret confines of the polling booth

the Irish electorate are as responsible as anyone for the current economic mess.

for example, our current Tanaiste 'inherited' her Daddies 'seat' because he died, he had inherited 'his seat' from his brother who died in a car accident.

so their you go, the above is a fine example of how Irish voters select the best candidates.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

Have just been listening to it on NewsTalk. I wish I could remember the name of the lad they interviewed.... what rubbish. Oh they were also talking about banks a bit.... here's how my brain summarized the talks:

The government are being picked on. They need to be given time to look into the bankers bonues. People need to relax and wait to see what happens. ... How dare RTE report on the painting of Brian Cowen. It's outrageous. Action must be taken not. Heads should role.

Someone takes a million euro's bonus and the answer is to have a wee quiet chat but they go mad about a bloody picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

From what I gather the painting was hung without authorisation , hence the Garda investigation

From what I gather the painting was hung without authorisation , hense the Garda investigation

a permit is not required, anyhow it is a public gallery that receives taxpayers funding, much like the education that the taxpayer paid for you and yet you cannot spell

hence NOT hense

The cost of a Garda investigation is not defendable for such a trivial matter.

• Advertisement

Thank you for getting the ' red biro ' out and correcting my spelling mistake. How do you know the taxpayer paid for my education , you know nothing about me !

I was not defending the investigation , but I imagine the Garda were called by the gallery because someone hung a painting without authorisation, this would be trespass wouldn't it ?

The real point here is the news censorship , all be it after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

It's much easier to have a go at some arty farty type than take on Fingers and the lads, some of whom might have some interesting tales about Cowen and private dinners...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Anyone have the one of Brian on the can?

Thank you for getting the ' red biro ' out and correcting my spelling mistake. How do you know the taxpayer paid for my education , you know nothing about me !

I was not defending the investigation , but I imagine the Garda were called by the gallery because someone hung a painting without authorisation, this would be trespass wouldn't it ?

The real point here is the news censorship , all be it after the fact.

Your style of writing and the spelling mistake indicate that you have received at least part of your education in Ireland.

Even if you attended 'private' schools they too receive taxpayers funding.

ergo

jayteecork wrote: »
    Anyone have the one of Brian on the can?

I will post it shortly...

meanwhile....

no-we-cant-520-x-769.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Barname wrote: »
    Your style of writing and the spelling mistake indicate that you have received at least part of your education in Ireland.

Even if you attended 'private' schools they too receive taxpayers funding.

ergo

I think we have a winner for the most irrelevant post and most pathetic atttempt to dig oneself out of a hole...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

Storm in a teacup, but it's a distraction from bankers and economy and so on and so forth. It's a picture of the head of our government, naked. It's satire, it may even be considered worthy art with all the attention it's getting, with a bunch of toffs sitting around waffling about how it signifies that Brian Cowan, in the political-socio-economic sense, has no clothes. Or something.

To make this into a big apology-fest is pandering and stupid. We all laughed at that Czech EU-piss take sculpture a few weeks back. When it happens in Ireland? Well, get out the soapbox.

Ohhhh if only you knew !........ ( you are wrong BTW )

I have not seen the one with BC on the can , I would love to see it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

What is worse, is RTE apologised for running the story ! Now that is downright ridiculous.

Imagine if they brought back spitting image ...... oh please, please bring back / start up an Irish spitting image...

:)

fbp

At least the artist is pissing him/herself laughing with all the free publicity they got..absolute dream...:)

I think we have a winner for the most irrelevant post and most pathetic atttempt to dig oneself out of a hole...:rolleyes:

argumentive = cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

argumentive = Cork

It's a place name.

ergo

argumentive = cork

A. You might note that Cork is a placename and is spelt with a capital 'C'.

B. A sentence should also start with a capital letter.

The humble pie is over that way ---->

;)

A. You might note that Cork is a placename and is spelt with a capital 'C'.

B. A sentence should also start with a capital letter.

The humble pie is over that way ---->

;)

lol, cork, thats how normal people see it.

cork.

news_pm_bigpic_509379a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

news_pm_bigpic_509379a.jpg

Jesus wept!

lol!

Cork people can construct a sentence correctly with correct punctuation and proper use of capital letters.

Then again, our standards are higher than most.

news_pm_bigpic1_509345a.jpg

Cork people can construct a sentence correctly with correct punctuation and proper use of capital letters.

Then again, our standards are higher than most.

Really?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59370677&postcount=87

Explain the above then.

:D:D:D

Like previously stated, cork = argument

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Barname and partyguinness, cop yourselves on. This is a forum for discussion of politics, not for spelling and grammar pissing contests.

Thread closed. If you want to discuss RTE's handling of the story, take it to the News & Media forum.

Thread re-opened, with these terms of reference: discussion of contact between the Taoiseach's office and RTE over this story.

Any more silly handbaggery will result in bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks for re-opening.

The implications from the apology by RTE are mind boggling not least what news will they now suppress so as to avoid making a possible apology?

Both Cathal Goan and Factna Murphy should have shown more balls in this whole affair and of course Brian Cowan digs yet another hole for himself.

I'm not sure where the criticism of Fachtna Murphy is coming from. I'm not clear what the Garda were asked to investigate, but I'm assuming it's something to do with hanging unauthorised pictures in the galleries, which could be considered criminal damage.

If there's more to it than that, I'd be interested in hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lets not forget this comes on the back of the Knob Nation hoo-har

That FF felt the need to waste time on such a frippery as the economy implodes tells us whats important to these people. The Micheal Kennedy interview on Pat kennys radio prog this morning was spectacular hubris. Meanwhile Cathal Goan should probably consider his postion having caved in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the criticism of Fachtna Murphy is coming from. I'm not clear what the Garda were asked to investigate, but I'm assuming it's something to do with hanging unauthorised pictures in the galleries, which could be considered criminal damage.

Criminal damage, really? I suspect that the DPP would laugh this one out of his office.

Apparently the 'artist' was on TodayFM (with Ray Darcy) this morning, and the gardai have contacted the TodayFM offices looking for his name and have been refused. I don't see why the guards would be investigating this unless they have been ordered to by a politician/government official.

These paintings are actually a bizarre story, something which if the government had have ignored it would have been forgotten about already.
    For those of us old enough it has echoes of gubu.

Now we have a government TD embarassing himself on the Pat Kenny show this morning about the issue (Pat for once playing a stormer), and what looks like a monumental waste of garda hours.

For me, as a FF voter, this is the day that Cowen has lost it.

Advertisement